Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2021, 00:55   #1036
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
But BT Sport SD Channels was axe on Virgin Media in December 2018: https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...t-sd.html#more
Not a good time for digitalbitrate's Virgin Media monitor to be offline.
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2021, 06:11   #1037
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Peacock is a free ad-funded service - like Pluto TV. You pay to reduce the amount of ads on Peacock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What concerns me is whether Peacock will be coming to VM. If it does, it seems that it will be at a cost.

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

BTtv's own EPG had a new sport addition in the past couple of months - the full HDR version of BT Sport Ultimate.
They don't use HLG and so a different stream has to be used and viewers select the regular version or the HDR version.
Maybe a slate will be carried when there is no HDR programming - which is 99% of the time. There has only been one HDR programme since it launched but the football is back soon.
Here's hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Hmmm! Interesting.

Last edited by ozsat; 30-07-2021 at 06:20.
Old 30-07-2021, 12:02   #1038
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

All4 app and YouTube Kids app coming soon to TV 360:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...4784526#M17216
Old 30-07-2021, 15:46   #1039
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Base on information given to us today by Media Boy Sources the following will happen on September 1st with the Sky Basic channels on Sky AND Virgin Media UK:

Closes
Sky One,
Sky One HD and
Sky One +1 (Only on Sky)

Launches:
Sky Showcase
Sky Showcase HD
Sky Showcase +1
Sky Max
Sky Max HD
Peacock to launch in UK and will be free to Sky customers. (Launch date TBC)

Stay as now:
Challenge
E! HD
E!
Movies 24
Movies 24 +
Pick
Pick +1 (Only on Sky)
SYFY HD
SYFY
SYFY +1
Sky Arts HD
Sky Arts
Sky Atlantic (Only on Sky)
Sky Atlantic HD (Only on Sky)
Sky Atlantic +1 (Only on Sky)
Sky Comedy HD
Sky Comedy
Sky Crime HD
Sky Crime
Sky Crime +1
Sky Replay
Sky Witness
Sky Witness HD
Sky Witness +1

Source: Media Boy Sources Given to Media Boy HQ today at 15.40 (3.40pm BST).

©copyright 2021 Media Boy 2006 - 2021. An ''Keep it real and free'' Production.
Quote:
My Sources say Sky Replay is staying.

Sky may ask Virgin Media to move some channels about on the EPG so base on Sky EPG the following may happen on Virgin from September 1st:

109. Sky Showcase HD
110. Sky Showcase
111. Sky Witness HD
112. Sky Witness
121. Sky Max HD
122. Sky Max
123. Sky Arts
135. Sky Comedy HD
136. Sky Comedy
137. Sky Crime HD
138. Sky Crime
139. SYFY HD
140. SYFY
156. Sky Arts HD
157. E! HD (?)
158. E! (?)
160. Sky Replay
164. Challenge
165. Pick
180. Sky Showcase +1 (?)
206. Sky Witness +1
207. Sky Crime +1
229. SYFY +1

270. Sky History HD
271. Sky History +1
272. Sky History 2 HD
277. Sky Documentaries HD
278. Sky Documentaries
279. Sky Nature HD
280. Sky Nature

419. Movies 24
420. Movies 24 +

All channels in red may change - still no been confirmed by Virgin Media or Sky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's not listed in the press release
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
I have seen numerous sources state that Sky Replay is being dropped
July 30th update: Media Boy Sources have just confirmed that Sky will close Sky Replay but no closing date has been given so my sources are thinking it'll be September 1st.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 30-07-2021 at 15:58.
Old 30-07-2021, 15:56   #1040
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hmmm! Interesting.
The Premier League rights sold to Sky, BT and Amazon just rolled over for three years so maybe the VM-BT deal did as well, if they agreed to pay the same for the same amount of content.
Old 30-07-2021, 18:36   #1041
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
July 30th update: Media Boy Sources have just confirmed that Sky will close Sky Replay but no closing date has been given so my sources are thinking it'll be September 1st.
I think you need new sources, yesterday it was staying open.
Old 30-07-2021, 18:42   #1042
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I think you need new sources, yesterday it was staying open.
My Sources just seen paperwork on Sky Replay closing today.

As of January 2021 I have ban sources from using any Do Not post orders on me. So I am just passing on any info I get from my Sources.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 30-07-2021 at 18:45.
Old 30-07-2021, 18:51   #1043
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

As of January 2021 I have ban sources from using any Do Not post orders on me. So I am just passing on any info I get from my Sources.
Seems a pretty pointless exercise when the info changes in 24 hours.
Old 30-07-2021, 19:04   #1044
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The Premier League rights sold to Sky, BT and Amazon just rolled over for three years so maybe the VM-BT deal did as well, if they agreed to pay the same for the same amount of content.
Possibly but that doesn't explain the slate. I guess it will stay a mystery until the slate is visible.
Old 30-07-2021, 20:07   #1045
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Possibly but that doesn't explain the slate. I guess it will stay a mystery until the slate is visible.
At time of posting all I am getting from my Sources is "BT and Virgin Media haven't got long to agreed an new deal."

We got no info on when BT Sport may close on Virgin Media UK as of July 30th at 8pm.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 30-07-2021 at 20:34.
Old 30-07-2021, 22:44   #1046
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

So here are the headlines i can gather...

1) Sky has counteracted losing warner content in the future by bringing peacock over.
Questions:
A lot of the main things on peacock are on netflix etc. How is this going to work exactly?
I assume virgin media won't be able to offer it and Sky will do a sort of Sky Atlantic thing and make it inclusive?

BT Sport is potentially leaving Virgin Media before the start of the season.
I assume BT Sport will ask for more money since they've been losing money on it and are looking to sell anyway? Getting more money from virgin media will make them more attractive?
Old 31-07-2021, 11:28   #1047
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
So here are the headlines i can gather...

1) Sky has counteracted losing warner content in the future by bringing peacock over.
Questions:
A lot of the main things on peacock are on netflix etc. How is this going to work exactly?
I assume virgin media won't be able to offer it and Sky will do a sort of Sky Atlantic thing and make it inclusive?

BT Sport is potentially leaving Virgin Media before the start of the season.
I assume BT Sport will ask for more money since they've been losing money on it and are looking to sell anyway? Getting more money from virgin media will make them more attractive?
If they cut off VM, they will lose even more money, won't they? As I understand it, most VM viewers would not pay extra for this service if the current deal expired. As things stand, the VM money is guaranteed income, whether customers want it or not.

As far as Peacock is concerned, any contracts they have with Netflix and others will come to an end at some point, and then they just won't renew them.

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Peacock is a free ad-funded service - like Pluto TV. You pay to reduce the amount of ads on Peacock
The version that will appear on Q certainly is. There are two other tiers, though, the top one of which is advertisement free.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Quote:

Your sources appear to be a little behind the curve, MB. Your CF sources appear to be more reliable.
Old 31-07-2021, 13:06   #1048
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I’d be extremely surprised if BT would want to take such a strategic decision while trying to court investors. It’d be easier to roll over the current terms for 12 months and have the new party involved in the decision making process.

As OB says, it’s essentially guaranteed income from a customer base unlikely to subscribe to a standalone service.

That is if the contract is expiring at all.
Old 31-07-2021, 15:16   #1049
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’d be extremely surprised if BT would want to take such a strategic decision while trying to court investors. It’d be easier to roll over the current terms for 12 months and have the new party involved in the decision making process.

As OB says, it’s essentially guaranteed income from a customer base unlikely to subscribe to a standalone service.

That is if the contract is expiring at all.
It could be that BT want to extend the contract for a relatively short time for the reasons you say (or because they intend to go down the streaming route), but VM want a longer term contract??

I wouldn't pay for it as a standalone product and I agree that most other people wouldn't either.

Since LG bought the company, Virgin have made it clear to channel operators that if things don't go their way, that they are prepared to withdraw channels.

Also, if VM have got wind of a definitive plan to go streaming, they will eventually have to face any backlash from customers anyway, so why not sooner rather than later?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 31-07-2021 at 15:23.
Old 31-07-2021, 15:37   #1050
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It could be that BT want to extend the contract for a relatively short time for the reasons you say (or because they intend to go down the streaming route), but VM want a longer term contract??

I wouldn't pay for it as a standalone product and I agree that most other people wouldn't either.

Since LG bought the company, Virgin have made it clear to channel operators that if things don't go their way, that they are prepared to withdraw channels.

Also, if VM have got wind of a definitive plan to go streaming, they will eventually have to face any backlash from customers anyway, so why not sooner rather than later?
BT won’t have definitive plans for anything re BT Sport - you can’t put half of your business up for sale and commit your as yet unidentifiable business partner to your business model. It only decreases the pool of potential investors.

The most obvious reason to accept a short term contract (over none) is that taking a hit later rather than now is an improved financial outcome. Regardless of how many people genuinely have BT Sport as a factor for subscribing tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, will be onto retentions.
Closed Thread