Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Old 28-04-2007, 19:20   #91
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Don't some people purposely leave their connections open for strangers to use?
I left a 1Mb down 100k up connection open to see who connected. It was one person, god knows who, kept tabs on bandwidth etc (ran a few tests while they were usiong it) seems they were doing no downloading, and if they were, they must have been doing it slowly

Probably checking email or something, with Windows autoconnecting.

Shut it off a good few months ago after leaving it up for a week.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2007, 21:08   #92
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
http://www.out-law.com/page-7969

I think the key word is the one I've highlighted in red. If I "hack" my neighbour's WEP, or download illegal material, that is dishonest. Checking my emails on an unsecured network is not.
Nice editing of the link - you missed out part, which negates your point.
"Two people have been arrested in the UK for using another person's wireless internet access without permission. Neither was charged but both were cautioned for dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid payment"

Oxford Dictionary definition of dishonest
adjective not honest, trustworthy, or sincere

Could you explain what is "honest, trustworthy, or sincere" about using your neighbours broadband connection without their permission?

btw, Oxford definition of honest:-
adjective 1 free of deceit; truthful and sincere. 2 fairly earned

I would put it to you that your usage of your neighbour's connection is, according to the dictionary, dishonest (whether or not you are using it for illegal downloads or by cracking their WEP). They had best not leave their car in their driveway with the keys in - you might borrow it to go to the shops (it can't be illegal, because you haven't stolen their keys or you are not going to use it to rob a bank).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 22:10   #93
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
...Oxford definition of honest:-
adjective 1 free of deceit; truthful and sincere. 2 fairly earned

I would put it to you that your usage of your neighbour's connection is, according to the dictionary, dishonest (whether or not you are using it for illegal downloads or by cracking their WEP). They had best not leave their car in their driveway with the keys in - you might borrow it to go to the shops (it can't be illegal, because you haven't stolen their keys or you are not going to use it to rob a bank).
Well, if you insist on citing the OED, lets have a closer look:

Deceit: The action or practice of deceiving; concealment of the truth in order to mislead; deception, fraud, cheating, false dealing.

How is "checking emails on an unsecured wireless network" deceitful? Is the truth being concealed? Is anyone being misled? Who is being cheated? Will VM charge them anything on top of the monthly fee?

The example of the car is flawed because to gain access I would have to enter my neighbours property (their car). A more apt analogy would be me reading the newspaper at night by the light of my neighbour's external halogen lamp, the energy of which happens to be overspilling onto my property.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 22:15   #94
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Except that your data is entering your neighbour's house, using their router to access the internet.

Anyhoo, as you stated, if you do it you are breaking the law - and I quote -
"Two people have been arrested in the UK for using another person's wireless internet access without permission. Neither was charged but both were cautioned for dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid payment"

Nothing in there about cracking WEP or downloading illegal software - just "arrested in the UK for using another person's wireless internet access without permission."

And at the bottom of the article you quoted, was the statement -
"many users are not aware that using other networks is against the law."

Not much ambiguity about that statement, methinks.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 13:48   #95
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, if you insist on citing the OED, lets have a closer look:

Deceit: The action or practice of deceiving; concealment of the truth in order to mislead; deception, fraud, cheating, false dealing.

How is "checking emails on an unsecured wireless network" deceitful? Is the truth being concealed? Is anyone being misled? Who is being cheated? Will VM charge them anything on top of the monthly fee?

The example of the car is flawed because to gain access I would have to enter my neighbours property (their car). A more apt analogy would be me reading the newspaper at night by the light of my neighbour's external halogen lamp, the energy of which happens to be overspilling onto my property.
You can wriggle about and split hairs as much as you like - fact is, there is legal precedent. It is 'wrong'. It is dishonestly obtaining services without intent to pay.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 14:30   #96
TheNorm
Inactive

TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
...Nothing in there about cracking WEP or downloading illegal software - just "arrested in the UK for using another person's wireless internet access without permission."

And at the bottom of the article you quoted, was the statement -
"many users are not aware that using other networks is against the law."

Not much ambiguity about that statement, methinks.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
You can wriggle about and split hairs as much as you like - fact is, there is legal precedent. It is 'wrong'. It is dishonestly obtaining services without intent to pay.
I think these statements illustrate quite well the reason behind my queries, as you are basically saying "the law says it is wrong, therefore it is wrong", and I wanted to explore this in a bit of depth. Many people simply accept the laws made by government without question. This is a good thing from a policeman's (and politician's) point of view, but bad for debate on a discussion forum.
Old 30-04-2007, 14:52   #97
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I think these statements illustrate quite well the reason behind my queries, as you are basically saying "the law says it is wrong, therefore it is wrong", and I wanted to explore this in a bit of depth. Many people simply accept the laws made by government without question. This is a good thing from a policeman's (and politician's) point of view, but bad for debate on a discussion forum.
Not really ... the OP asked a question with the apparent aim of having his actions justified or condemned. From a legal point of view it's 'wrong'.

I'm not sure how you hope to get beyond the rights and wrongs of the law when the definitions you use for words like 'deceit' are essentially legalistic?

In any case, I happen to think it's a good law. Many broadband packages are capped in one way or another (mine included) so those who take a free ride on them are committing a very real act of theft. Why should someone take something I've paid for without my permission?
Old 30-04-2007, 14:58   #98
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

You wouldn't split a neighbours phone line and use there telephone would you, but because it's wireless people assume it's ok.

Granted the laws aren't to clear and many people are unaware of them. On the other hand some are honest and don't use neighbours connections. For example my brother has picked up a couple of wireless networks in his street, but has never connected to them, even though he doesn't have his own connection. (He just comes and uses mine instead - cheeky sod!)

If you can't afford broadband, it doesn't give you the right to use some one elses.

So in answer to the OP yes it is wrong to hijack your neighbours router.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 15:00   #99
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
From a legal point of view it's 'wrong'.

Can't argue with that, but I didn't ask if it was legal or not, because I knew the answer to that already. I wanted personal opinions i.e. Do you think it is wrong?

There are many things that are 'technically' illegal that many do not deem as 'wrong'. Like letting your kids pee at the side of the road on a long car journey.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 15:13   #100
TheNorm
Inactive

Quote:
... Why should someone take something I've paid for without my permission?
I would say that if someone broadcasts an unsecured wireless network, then it is reasonable to assume implied consent - that is, my neighbour is basically saying that he doesn't mind if people use his network. If he did mind, he would do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videodj View Post
You wouldn't split a neighbours phone line and use there telephone would you, but because it's wireless people assume it's ok....
You're talking about trespass and criminal damage. I'm not.
Old 30-04-2007, 15:22   #101
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I would say that if someone broadcasts an unsecured wireless network, then it is reasonable to assume implied consent - that is, my neighbour is basically saying that he doesn't mind if people use his network. If he did mind, he would do something about it.
How can that be so, when no court in the land would consider an unlocked car or house to provide sufficient cause to assume implied consent? At best, taking goods from an unlocked house might get you a conviction for theft rather than burglary.
Old 30-04-2007, 15:24   #102
TheNorm
Inactive

Quote:
How can that be so, when no court in the land would consider an unlocked car or house to provide sufficient cause to assume implied consent? At best, taking goods from an unlocked house might get you a conviction for theft rather than burglary.
Quote:
You're talking about trespass and criminal damage. I'm not.
Old 30-04-2007, 15:27   #103
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

A completely false distinction. You can't pick up and discard analogies simply based on whether they fit your argument or not.

If, for the sake of argument, you were daft enough to write down your online banking details and then leave the paper behind in an internet cafe, would I be justified in law if I were to empty your bank account, arguing that your carelessness amounted to a reasonable belief of implied consent?
Old 30-04-2007, 15:38   #104
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
A completely false distinction. You can't pick up and discard analogies simply based on whether they fit your argument or not.

If, for the sake of argument, you were daft enough to write down your online banking details and then leave the paper behind in an internet cafe, would I be justified in law if I were to empty your bank account, arguing that your carelessness amounted to a reasonable belief of implied consent?

By the letter of the law, you are correct, no doubt about it.

But you can't make comparisons between thieving the contents of someone's bank account to stealing a bit of bandwidth from them.

They are both crimes, but are in completely different leagues. Should we start treating litter crime the same as murder and rape, just because all are deemed as illegal?

Like I said in my previous post, many things are illegal, but not viewed as wrong(even by the police themselves in some cases).
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 15:41   #105
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
By the letter of the law, you are correct, no doubt about it.

But you can't make comparisons between thieving the contents of someone's bank account to stealing a bit of bandwidth from them.

They are both crimes, but are in completely different leagues. Should we start treating litter crime the same as murder and rape, just because all are deemed as illegal?

Like I said in my previous post, many things are illegal, but not viewed as wrong(even by the police themselves in some cases).
Indeed, but now you're talking about degrees of wrongness and the appropriate sanction to be taken against them - whereas you started out asking whether it was simply right or wrong.

You are debating a different question.