Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 14:18   #1006
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Are you saying there are none in the Boro? There must be.
No, I'm saying it's not a ghost town thats all
Old 04-07-2016, 14:24   #1007
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post

Let's not forget that if you really do not want a vote you are free to remove yourself from the voting list. This won't affect the percentages as by not registering you will not be eligible to vote.
As I only put myself on the voting list for the referendum I will be doing exactly that. The Last time I was on the voting list was 1975 for exactly the same reason.
Old 04-07-2016, 14:40   #1008
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
As I only put myself on the voting list for the referendum I will be doing exactly that. The Last time I was on the voting list was 1975 for exactly the same reason.
Thanks for posting that. I guess, for whatever reasons, you really do not like voting, but at least by removing yourself from the list the only person you are affecting is yourself.

28% of the electorate did register and for one reason or another did not vote despite the government ( or local council) paying to print out and distribute voting cards for voters attending polling stations or voting papers in the case of postal voters.

Though it's probably just a small amount it could have been saved if people registered to vote who were not intending to vote simply did what you were considerate enough to do and de-registered themselves next time there was a vote.
Old 04-07-2016, 14:41   #1009
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post

I work on the council estates in the N.E and to be honest the regeneration money is targeted at the wrong areas ,you've just proved as much with your examples above .Newcastle ,Sunderland,Hartlepool and Middlesborough all have had millions and millions thrown at them and as far as the ordinary bloke that lost his job when the factories or the docks closed is concerned it's all useless.When the Redcar steel works is pulled down what's the betting that the people who used to work there get didley squat apart from a nice view of some high end housing they have no hope of ever owning .
Newcastle/Gateshead have had millions thrown at it and look at the changes, such as the Sage etc. Sunderland has had a lot lot less. Hartlepool and Middlesbrough less so.

There was very little regen money in the developments that I mentioned.

I kind of take issue with the comments regarding the steel works. look at the money that has been recently spent on Redcar seafront, again geared to generate revenue into the town, what happened, oh yes some little twonk set light to it.

Whilst the steelworks closing is a massive blow it's not unrecoverable from, look at Nissan in Sunderland and to some extent Hitachi at Newton Aycliffe

People have got to make the change happen for themselves. 18 months ago I had a choice of stay at earning 30k (not a bad wage) or commuting to York which I do now and earning significantly more. I then spend that money in the local economy (my car and my fiancees car both came from a local independent car dealer) We shop locally where possible

The hours that I put in now mean I've been able to afford a house at Acklam Hall for myself and my fiancee. Acklam Hall has the operations director for GSK, and multiple consultants for James Cook hospital live there, all of these calibre individuals are paying money into the local economy via things such as council tax, as are the residents of the Church Lane/Low Lane developments

You can also add in the new Persimmon development up by Cleveland Police, the one opposite Stewarts pack and the upcoming expansion of Coulby Newham and Ingleby Barwick.

None of these are cheap so money must be getting pulled into the economy from somewhere surely?
Old 04-07-2016, 15:36   #1010
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
It beats me why on Earth anyone over the age of 40 needed to be 'convinced' one way or the other You've LIVED through it. You're ALREADY an expert on how the EU works, and you SHOULD have been able to vote the way you did because of that life EXPERIENCE.

Christ if we all need to be lead around by the nose by people who don't necessarily have your best interests at heart then you shouldn't be voting at all as it's clearly too much for you poor things.

Sometimes I despair.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:01   #1011
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
There shouldn't be compulsory voting but we could make it a hell of a lot easier to vote, and actively try and get everyone on the register.

Why can't we vote online, this is the 21st Century ? Security is just an excuse; postal voting and just turning up at the polling station and saying a say a name is no less secure. The changes the Govt. have made recently resulted on many young not being on the register. There may be a political advantage for them in this, but it worked against them in the referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...rm-voting-sys/
Nothing wrong with compulsory voting for referendums ,it is after all only the government asking for your opinion ,it's not a legally binding vote as an election is .If there where a "none of the above" option for elections then i probably wouldn't have an objection to them becoming compulsory either.

Online voting is no where near secure enough imo ,postal and in person voting we have at the moment is probably the best we can do for now .

As for those young people you say where disadvantaged by the registration changes ,well they could have taken 30 secs out of their day to register on line ,there's been plenty of time and plenty of public awareness campaigns to make people aware.Of course for that to work they have to be bothered in the first place

Old 04-07-2016, 16:21   #1012
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Why do you keep harping on about compulsory voting? We do not live in a dictatorship.

Voting is a right each and everyone has the option to excersise or not.

No-one will tell me I have to vote. That is my choice.
Unless you live in Australia where voting is compulsory.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Quote:
And which way did you vote in 1975. I voted NO.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:26   #1013
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Unless you live in Australia where voting is compulsory..
and a lot more besides it's not as rare as some may think

Old 04-07-2016, 16:27   #1014
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Newcastle/Gateshead have had millions thrown at it and look at the changes, such as the Sage etc. Sunderland has had a lot lot less. Hartlepool and Middlesbrough less so.

There was very little regen money in the developments that I mentioned.

I kind of take issue with the comments regarding the steel works. look at the money that has been recently spent on Redcar seafront, again geared to generate revenue into the town, what happened, oh yes some little twonk set light to it.

Whilst the steelworks closing is a massive blow it's not unrecoverable from, look at Nissan in Sunderland and to some extent Hitachi at Newton Aycliffe

People have got to make the change happen for themselves. 18 months ago I had a choice of stay at earning 30k (not a bad wage) or commuting to York which I do now and earning significantly more. I then spend that money in the local economy (my car and my fiancees car both came from a local independent car dealer) We shop locally where possible

The hours that I put in now mean I've been able to afford a house at Acklam Hall for myself and my fiancee. Acklam Hall has the operations director for GSK, and multiple consultants for James Cook hospital live there, all of these calibre individuals are paying money into the local economy via things such as council tax, as are the residents of the Church Lane/Low Lane developments

You can also add in the new Persimmon development up by Cleveland Police, the one opposite Stewarts pack and the upcoming expansion of Coulby Newham and Ingleby Barwick.

None of these are cheap so money must be getting pulled into the economy from somewhere surely?
Oh I say old chap. there are flats by the river in Sunderland like that where some of the Sunderland players live or lived.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:29   #1015
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ding-french-p/

You reap what you sow. As well as a predicted surge of migrants before we shut the gates, looks like a few thousand happy campers will be joining us from over the channel. That'll be nice, handy for fruit picking in Kent anyway.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:33   #1016
Big Brian
Inactive

Quote:

You reap what you sow. As well as a predicted surge of migrants before we shut the gates, looks like a few thousand happy campers will be joining us from over the channel. That'll be nice, handy for fruit picking in Kent anyway.
I expect that to happen too but surely that's a good reason for invoking A50 and then maybe we can use some kind of emergency brake to prevent that happening.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Quote:

Sorry but that looks so funny sow instead of sew.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:34   #1017
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I expect that to happen too but surely that's a good reason for invoking A50 and then maybe we can use some kind of emergency brake to prevent that happening.
Emergency brake? Lol. Think our emegency brake has been dumped in the channel. We have no power or influence to make demands any longer.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:35   #1018
martyh

Quote:

Few years before anything like that could happen if it happens at all and by then Brexit negotiations will be well under way ,so no panic.

Old 04-07-2016, 17:02   #1019
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

@BigBrian:

It is sow, not sew, he's not fixing clothes, he's sowing seeds.. (in the metaphor anyway)
Old 04-07-2016, 17:16   #1020
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
@BigBrian:

It is sow, not sew, he's not fixing clothes, he's sowing seeds.. (in the metaphor anyway)
clever sow and sew