Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 01-06-2012, 18:49   #961
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
And Virgin does exactly the same with their broadband network

Yet I never hear you say anything about that.

Hmmmmm
Virgin spent £13 billion on their broadband network but Sky for a long while piggybacked on to BT's network and have spent a miniscule amount in comparison so why should Virgin share their network with Sky?.
Old 01-06-2012, 18:55   #962
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Virgin spent £13 billion on their broadband network but Sky for a long while piggybacked on to BT's network and have spent a miniscule amount in comparison so why should Virgin share their network with Sky?.
And SKY pay for their content..yet you think they should let Virgin have it

Seems somewhat unfair...it is ok for Virgin to spend money..and keep it exclusive, but Sky is not allowed to do the same?

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Quote:
Well its not up to me to tell you but there are many areas where Sky overall has a inferior service but the areas in which they are stronger in have more to do with monopolistic tendacies and a uncompetitive attitude in with-holding channels and content from other providers and in that the UK pay-TV industry is still unfairly balanced in Sky’s favour.
read above...you are saying it is ok for Virgin..but not for SKY
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:56   #963
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
And SKY pay for their content..yet you think they should let Virgin have it

Seems somewhat unfair...it is ok for Virgin to spend money..and keep it exclusive, but Sky is not allowed to do the same?
Sky generally make bids so high for available rights content that no-one else has a chance to compete for the rights that are available and then when it has it it simply with-holds it through unfair practices or by simply asking for unrealistic carriage fees.
Old 01-06-2012, 18:59   #964
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well its not up to me to tell you but there are many areas where Sky overall has a inferior service but the areas in which they are stronger in have more to do with monopolistic tendacies and a uncompetitive attitude in with-holding channels and content from other providers and in that the UK pay-TV industry is still unfairly balanced in Sky’s favour.
Yeah erm.. I'm a customer of Sky I'm not a business in competition with them. As far as Sky having inferior services all I can say is when I turn my TV on there is lots of live TV content and lots of Ondemand content when I pick upmy phone it works and when I use my PC the BB is just fine.

So like I said AS A SKY CUSTOMER there really is nothing for me to moan about. If you're really worried about monopoly's take up the fight of drug companys with holding patents for life saving medicines or over pricing cancer treatments. Don't worry to much about who has the rights to series 4 of Glee.

Virginmedia have clearly stated in the past they're no longer interested in buying exclusive content and want to concentrate on being a platform not a content provider.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:03   #965
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sky generally make bids so high for available rights content that no-one else has a chance to compete for the rights that are available and then when it has it it simply with-holds it through unfair practices or by simply asking for unrealistic carriage fees.
And Virgin just refuses period.

So your argument is..Sky compete with others...get it..then (shock) expect others to pay when they share.

Virgin just say No, they aren't sharing.

I think the latter seems unfair practice. You are slightly askew with your understanding of what constitutes unfair practice
Old 01-06-2012, 19:12   #966
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
And Virgin just refuses period.

So your argument is..Sky compete with others...get it..then (shock) expect others to pay when they share.

Virgin just say No, they aren't sharing.

I think the latter seems unfair practice. You are slightly askew with your understanding of what constitutes unfair practice
Colin we are talking about the Pay TV industry here and its important you don't confuse that with Virgins broadband network because as we know it there are no uncompetitive practices going on there but there are plenty of uncompetitive practices happening in the Pay TV industry and Sky have a track record of that as we have seen consistently in the last 10 years thus Ofcom have had to have several inquirys and even now a inquiry is ongoing into Skys monopolistic unfair practices.
Old 01-06-2012, 19:20   #967
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Colin we are talking about the Pay TV industry here and its important you don't confuse that with Virgins broadband network because as we know it there are no uncompetitive practices going on there but there are plenty of uncompetitive practices happening in the Pay TV industry and Sky have a track record of that as we have seen consistently in the last 10 years thus Ofcom have had to have several inquirys and even now a inquiry is ongoing into Skys monopolistic unfair practices.
Den, you seem to have a fixation to want to demonstrate that SKY is bad, because it competes, but that Virgin is good, yet it restricts

My point..is that to focus on one area, and call it unfair, whilst totally ignoring the other seems bizarre.

Sky compete for their product. You seem to forget..it is pay tv...if they weren't competitive, no one would buy their product

I don't see SKY as good or bad..i see them as a provider of a service that I take.

I equally don't think Virgin is good or bad, and they have made business decisions that I do not like

They are both businesses, in it to make a profit, and as much a profit as they can get...don't kid yourself otherwise
Old 01-06-2012, 21:23   #968
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
In the pay tv industry it was VM that had successful channels but decided to sell. I honestly can't see how you can complain about Sky when it is VM that decides to behave this way.

VM's channels were very successful. Sky took little time to stamp their names over what VM sold to Sky. You should take your grievances up with VM as they are the ones deciding not to compete.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:09   #969
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

As far as I'm aware the vast amount of Sky's channels/content is available on both Sky and VM so they're hardly holding much back with the exception of Sky Atlantic which they use as a USP for the platform surely with their vast investment in channels/content they should be allowed some kind of exclusive otherwise weres the incentive to invest.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51   #970
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
As far as I'm aware the vast amount of Sky's channels/content is available on both Sky and VM so they're hardly holding much back with the exception of Sky Atlantic
l think you have somehow forgotten about Sky Sports HD F1, Sky Sports HD 3and 4, Sky News HD, Sky Sports News HD and then there are the exclusive so no-one else can it deals for example the ITV HD channels and then there are the deals they have done with quite a few providers in order to stop other providers from accessing the content and then of course we have the film deal done with 6 major studios which in my mind is anti competitive.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:55   #971
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
l think you have somehow forgotten about Sky Sports HD F1, Sky Sports HD 3and 4, Sky News HD, Sky Sports News HD and then there are the exclusive so no-one else can it deals for example the ITV HD channels and then there are the deals they have done with quite a few providers in order to stop other providers from accessing the content and then of course we have the film deal done with 6 major studios which in my mind is anti competitive.
You being them channels into it but surely you have to say the same about Film 4 HD on VM? Also last i hear talks were on going for the missing ITV HD channels
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56   #972
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

All those channels he lists can still be viewed all be it in SD so hardly withholding content and haven't the CC just deemed that no restrictions will be placed on Sky Movies now that Netflix and Lovefilm have come to the table.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12   #973
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
All those channels he lists can still be viewed all be it in SD so hardly withholding content and haven't the CC just deemed that no restrictions will be placed on Sky Movies now that Netflix and Lovefilm have come to the table.
Mmmmmmmmm the CC that useless bunch who could not organise a **** up in a brewery and thats the one thing they do have in common with Ofcom l am afraid.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52   #974
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Mmmmmmmmm the CC that useless bunch who could not organise a **** up in a brewery and thats the one thing they do have in common with Ofcom l am afraid.
What were ofcom doing when Sky only had the sd version of VMs channels?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53   #975
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
What were ofcom doing when Sky only had the sd version of VMs channels?
Which ones?.