Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-06-2008, 00:34   #9361
Paul Delaney

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hmmm...

It's gone a bit quiet hasn't it?

Thing is, if I marched into the lions den to assert myself - I would actually be expecting to come face to face with some LIONS and would be equipped accordingly...

Oh well - good debate while it lasted - thanks all

Advertisement
Old 19-06-2008, 00:34   #9362
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
That's a truly brilliant question! That would after all be the ultimate opt-in. Get free Phorm ADSL with targeted advert connection, and as you say, if it's as wonderful as billed, we should all jump at it.

I wonder if the reason they have not done as much is because if they are the ISP they can't blame someone else like they can if they are partnered with BT/VM/TT.
Totally agree "TheBruce1".

<edit Rob - inappropriate text removed>
Old 19-06-2008, 00:37   #9363
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Did somat happen while i was in the bath what i miss
Old 19-06-2008, 00:39   #9364
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
Hmmm...

It's gone a bit quiet hasn't it?
Can only assume Mummy (antihanff.Mom ?)sent them both to bed, it is rather late.
Old 19-06-2008, 00:39   #9365
XBNM
Inactive

XBNM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihanff.com View Post
My statements are on behalf of being free to invest in legitimate businesses. You are like animal rites campainers who force shareholders not to invest in legitimate research companies.,
Im an accountant (dont boo too loudly) most of my job entails protecting small businesses from the government. Im slightly technically literate and even i can see why phorm is bad. Legitmate business especially if its small needs only protection from the state. Large business however seems to always need protection from the consumer in the form of a regulator.

Got to wonder why HMRC has a large business group which meets regularly but no small business group. Im sure its only becasuse big business needs HMGOV's protection.

Your names not Gordon or Jacqui per chance ?
Old 19-06-2008, 00:41   #9366
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

I'd love it if it was Kent, this is his on-line vitriolic side. Though I expect it's just a Turkish investor who thought this would be the big one, over stretched on the investment hoping on massive returns. Sad really.
Old 19-06-2008, 00:45   #9367
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
I'd love it if it was Kent, this is his on-line vitriolic side. Though I expect it's just a Turkish investor who thought this would be the big one, over stretched on the investment hoping on massive returns. Sad really.
Could be...

Maybe he bought at A.
Partied at B.
Blames us for C.
Totally lost it at D,

Signed up here tonight to rant at us.

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phormzn1.jpg

Damn, image won't show. Somebody wannna tell me why, please.
Old 19-06-2008, 00:46   #9368
Phormic Acid
Inactive

Services: Still to decide on Aquiss or Be
Phormic Acid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phormic Acid View Post
Some ISPs in the USA successfully implemented NebuAd’s passive-tap system long ago. With a completely passive system, there can never be any possibility of interfering with your customers’ web browsing.
It looks like I need to take that back. It seems NebuAd is not using a completely passive system as originally described. Previously, news articles had described a system where data was simply mirrored, processed and then stored against a hash value derived from the user’s IP address. A report by Robert Topolski for Free Press and Public Knowledge has found that NebuAd’s system behaves very much like Phorm’s obsolete PageSense.
Free Press/Public Knowledge Investigation Finds NebuAd Wiretaps Consumers and Hijacks Web Sites
Old 19-06-2008, 00:46   #9369
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I just found a bunch of Kent videos on YouTube and I notice at the bottom of the comments there is an opportunity to respond by video on each one. I am going to have to have a shave, get my head shaved again and think about responding to them all

Some of you other folks should do the same.

Incidentally, I finally fixed my audio issues so I am thinking of doing a regular Phorm Podcast if anyone is interested?

Alexander Hanff
Old 19-06-2008, 00:55   #9370
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
That's a truly brilliant question! That would after all be the ultimate opt-in. Get free Phorm ADSL with targeted advert connection, and as you say, if it's as wonderful as billed, we should all jump at it.

I wonder if the reason they have not done as much is because if they are the ISP they can't blame someone else like they can if they are partnered with BT/VM/TT.
Or why doesn't BT develop the technology themselves?

They could do it if they had the onions. Not so long ago they used to be a global teleco, before some very bad management decisions turned them into a fairly big national telco. Even now Phorm is a pipsqueek compared to BT.

The doubt over ownership of data helps these seedy organisations baffle the regulators (or voters if you think there may be a 'security interest' channel that Kent is offering GCHQ).

Phorm's a con. Kent set it up to be sold to the likes of Google, so Kent can run on to his next 'project' with his big 'profit'.

Only Google's not playing ball. Either way, BT are the suckers.

VM won't be forgotten either.
Old 19-06-2008, 00:57   #9371
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Looks like I missed the troll-baiting

Who knows what phorm does? BT et al plan to hijack our data stream and give it to them. All we have is the word of a bent scumware company and its smarmy principal about what goes on in the box.

What phorm does should be irrelevant, my browsing belongs to me not my ISP. Only a complete mug would opt-in to webwise. So that'll be Hazel Blears, half the cabinet and a few thousand BT subscribers then...
Old 19-06-2008, 00:59   #9372
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1.) Phorm helps the internet community by making niche sites previous thought of as unattractive to advertisers attractive not because of their content but because of their visitors
you mean phorm will divert advertising revenue from sites that provide valuable content to sites that will charge less for advertising. This could reduce the quality of free content on the internet.

Quote:
2.) Phorm protects privacy because they do not store history data
Phorm will leak UIDs; spammers and dodgy websites will likely collect them and link them to the user's email addresses. Third party tracking systems could even use them too.

Quote:
3.) Phorm offer a real choise whereas other advertisers who use java and the like to allow cross domain transfer of information do it all behimnd the scenes without informing users or giving a choise. Phorm offer a central off switch
Some choice, send our data through a DPI device, let them redirect it 3 times throw in some forged cookies and trust them not to analyse it - no thanks.

Quote:
4.) Phorm will actuall cause less advertising and an increase in the advertising value of real estate
My understanding was phorm intend to charge the advertisers as much as possible, while running the adverts on the sites visited by their targets that will settle for the lowest payment, with Phorm and the ISP's pocketing the difference.

If you "profile" visitors to a site, then you'll no longer have to pay that site's advertising rate to target their visitors, as you'll be able to reach them elsewhere.

This sounds like a recipe fo taking away advertsing from sites that already can provide advertisers access to their target audience based on their content (allowing the site to charge a premium), and redistributing it to other sites that charge less.

Quote:

5.) Phorm will help small companies promote themselves in a cost effective manor
If I ran a small company I wouldn't want to risk damaging its reputation by using a service like Phorm. I fail to see Phorm as being any better than spyware or adware.

Actually, you do make a good point there, as there's already a small company using Phorm to promote itself in a cost effective manner - you can see the advert on the front page of http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

As you appear to be an investor in Phorm, have you considered the implications to phorm's system should blocking third party cookies as per RFC2965 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2965.txt become the default setting of browsers. I believe Safari already does block some third party cookies by default.
Old 19-06-2008, 00:59   #9373
bigsanta11
Inactive

bigsanta11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My statements are on behalf of being free to invest in legitimate businesses. You are like animal rites campainers who force shareholders not to invest in legitimate research companies.,

Oh my,legitimate you say, and about the animal rights analogy ,that's somewhat right,we are trying to protect others (and ourselves) from those sections of society that like to profit from the suffering of others.

Being part of the human race ,i'd expect any decent person to share the same stance !
Old 19-06-2008, 01:08   #9374
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

A reminder to all. This forum does not tolerate insults or offensive language.

Don't attempt to bypass the profanity filter by misstyping words or starring out only some characters. If the word is unsuitable, don't use it.

Just because you dislike someone who may be representing a company, it does nobody any credit to misspell or misstype their name, or to slander them.

Bottom line, you wouldn't like somebody name calling you, or otherwise making remarks on your personality, so you shouldn't be doing the same to others.
Old 19-06-2008, 01:30   #9375
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Ok I have one night off and you all get to be phormed baited without me some friends you lot are. Right all thoses that fed the troll you get time out to think about the bait you bit on.
Me I just getting started

Quote:
Thank you I see I am not the only one against this CAMPAIGN OF TERROR against LEGITIMATE business and INNOCENT SHAREHOLDERS
A little late joining but PLEASE don't count me in on your shareholders, I am a BT shareholder and incase you are not they are not even telling the shareholders about Phorm perhaps too ashamed to admit to shareholders they are wiretapping customers..

Quote:
DId you just breach the data protection act you shouldnt be looking at my IP. JAIL!

Erm you joined the forum it logs IP numbers for every post a legal requirement incase someone goes to court against a poster for slander. If you didn't want the Mods looking at your IP number take my advice don't join forums.

Quote:
1.) Phorm helps the internet community by making niche sites previous thought of as unattractive to advertisers attractive not because of their content but because of their visitors

2.) Phorm protects privacy because they do not store history data

3.) Phorm offer a real choise whereas other advertisers who use java and the like to allow cross domain transfer of information do it all behimnd the scenes without informing users or giving a choise. Phorm offer a central off switch

4.) Phorm will actuall cause less advertising and an increase in the advertising value of real estate

5.) Phorm will help small companies promote themselves in a cost effective manor
OK
1. The unattractive sites are nmormally unattractive due to being too expensive. Phorm will shut out the best deal on the internet to force us into buying from ones he shows adverts for only one problem for you here. I never buy from adverts that pop up I only buy after I have researched the item both in shops and online from sites I CHOOSE.

2. WE only have Kents word on that the actual program if you read the patent can do ao much more thjan hold history if can be changed to request everything from you name address to your bank details. The best part only those programming the servers, those accessing the results would know.

3. Choice and Phorm no not when they have another motive like was said to the press about editing content of the internet.. The internet is not a newspaper publication we do not need it edited.

4. I block all adverts which has been the best thing i have ever done. Some have even had trojens and viruses on their PC's from adverts liek phorm do...

5. This I find very hard to believe since if you are a small company and not signed upto phorm. A visitor using BT searches and visits your sm all site. Phorm harvest the key words matches upto adverts and diverts a potentual customer away from my site using my copyright material to help him decide which adverts to place on the persons PC...

Any more??

---------- Post added at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

Sorry for long post now I had some troll bait I need time out
Closed Thread