Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 12-03-2012, 11:08   #916
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
A problem here is that some customers of VM and Sky are paying too much money for what they get.

I am to blame also as l pay a staggering £75.00 for VM each month, that inc tv ,bb and phone. for XL, on Sky l pay £80.00 per mth, but only get Tv, but get the whole lot. If l stopped and went Freeview, l would not get the football.

So l cannot complain, BUT l can complain that if these companies stopped giving away freebee's to NEW customers, then l think it would stop. As an existing customer l cannot get the same deals as new customers. ie my mother in law can get BB for half price, whereas l pay the full price and VM say l cannot change it.

I have been told that we have to pay the top price for Tv bb and phone to cover the cost - unless someone knows different, we also know of someone who can get the SAME package as us,- £15.00 cheaper

It sounds as if when Sky get fibre broadband, then you could move completely over to Sky and save a lot of money.

I think when Sky get fibre BB, a lot of people will consider moving to Sky and VM should start to plan to counteract that, given that ATM, Sky win on TV and Phone and VM omly have BB and Tivo and one of those will soon be neuttralised. Tivo wll keep me, but how many others will seriously consider Sky when they get fibre? Quite a few I think.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28   #917
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Quote:
A problem here is that some customers of VM and Sky are paying too much money for what they get.

I am to blame also as l pay a staggering £75.00 for VM each month, that inc tv ,bb and phone. for XL, on Sky l pay £80.00 per mth, but only get Tv, but get the whole lot. If l stopped and went Freeview, l would not get the football.

So l cannot complain, BUT l can complain that if these companies stopped giving away freebee's to NEW customers, then l think it would stop. As an existing customer l cannot get the same deals as new customers. ie my mother in law can get BB for half price, whereas l pay the full price and VM say l cannot change it.

I have been told that we have to pay the top price for Tv bb and phone to cover the cost - unless someone knows different, we also know of someone who can get the SAME package as us,- £15.00 cheaper

It sounds as if when Sky get fibre broadband, then you could move completely over to Sky and save a lot of money.

I think when Sky get fibre BB, a lot of people will consider moving to Sky and VM should start to plan to counteract that, given that ATM, Sky win on TV and Phone and VM omly have BB and Tivo and one of those will soon be neuttralised. Tivo wll keep me, but how many others will seriously consider Sky when they get fibre? Quite a few I think.
Are sky going to be using Bts infinity?
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38   #918
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
Are sky going to be using Bts infinity?
Presumably they are using BT's fibre network; whether it is re sold Infinity or Sky's equipment in the exchange, I don't know, but I seem to recall reading somewhere, that Sky plan to launch fibre in April. Not sure how true that is though.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:38   #919
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Presumably they are using BT's fibre network; whether it is re sold Infinity or Sky's equipment in the exchange, I don't know, but I seem to recall reading somewhere, that Sky plan to launch fibre in April. Not sure how true that is though.
http://corporate.sky.com/investors/p...w_fibre_launch
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:40   #920
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Hi muppetman, I will say this only once, VM are good on the phone service, my main gripe with VM, is that yes VM do show the nature of there products BFORE you choose, BUT they also give out promises that they don't keep.

Ie 80 HD channels are on the horizon, In talks with Premier Sports, Atlantic etc, how long do these talks take there are unhappy customers out there that ARE still with VM and rant apart from myself.

I believe in you get what you pay for BUT you cannot justify putting the price up like we are having, without an increase in products.

I have said before that l don't mind paying more IF the channels increased.

One more time I like VM phone / BB, But the TV needs looking at
We don't have even 70 HD channels even in Sky
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:18   #921
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Indeed. There are, according to this post, only 64
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:13   #922
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

This Price increase has seriously made me question the cost of my services. It has also made me realise how expensive Virgin is compared with Sky. I have just been on the phone to both companies and I am shocked with what I have heard.

I am on the top VIP package, with two TiVo boxes, and pay around £105.

Needing to cut costs I managed to get Virgin down to around £69.90 by cutting the phone extras, loosing Sky Sports and sky movies, while lowing my Internet to 20 meg. Fantastic I thought...

I then asked about keeping Sky premium and the costs went back up to VIP levels. well £99 (no HD)

I then phoned Sky and amazingly they only wanted £60 for their full Broadband, TV and phone package without the sports and movies. This included multi-room and HD. With Sports and movies it came to a price of £88.

OK I would loose TiVo, ESPN, the great OD service and broadband would be 2 meg instead of 20, but I could keep sky Sports and sky movies, get more HD and finally experience Sky Atlantic for myself.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:13   #923
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

WOW Just spoke to Sky all that I have now is: £53 + £9 + £10.25 + £10.25 = £82.50.

I'm better off staying lol.
Old 13-03-2012, 19:26   #924
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
WOW Just spoke to Sky all that I have now is: £53 + £9 + £10.25 + £10.25 = £82.50.

I'm better off staying lol.
Whats that for?

I was told if you get multi-room you get sky HD included.

I love my Virgin media services but honestly, i just don't know if the extras are worth th extra costs.
Old 13-03-2012, 19:27   #925
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

Plus the cost of the phone line, normally £12 (and, if you don't have a BT line already, possible £150 install charge).

Easy to cost sky without taking that into account.
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:44   #926
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Sky is far more expensive for me too if i wanted to just replace the TV part of VM, if they dropped the HD charge of £10.25 a month then maybe it could be a viable option.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 19:52   #927
gaz2810i
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
Plus the cost of the phone line, normally £12 (and, if you don't have a BT line already, possible £150 install charge).

Easy to cost sky without taking that into account.
Nope I was told it included the line rental and install charges are free, only £10 for line setup.

I just rang them back to confirm was given the same info.
Old 13-03-2012, 19:56   #928
borrissey
Inactive

It's for what i got now which is XL TV, Movies and sports collections, ESPN, Prem HD, Multiroom.

Then there's the £12 phone line charge on top of that which you MUST have if you want multiroom. It was for 2 Sky HD boxes.

So would be a upgrade in channels and a down grade in boxes because I have 2 TiVOs.

I pay £72 a month, come April 1st. Thats with what I listed not the phone line.
Old 13-03-2012, 22:32   #929
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I was thinking of going to VM, but over a farce today with my son, FOUR calls todayto various parts of the world, to try and sort out a problem, and today it was his FIRST DAY, and they made a cock up. l might stay where l am
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 22:43   #930
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Today my wife was going through all the channels on VM (the same as Sky) and said to me, ' all this money we pay out for channels and most of them are crap' and l just laughed and for once l totally agree with her.

We all moan that certain channels that customers want ie Atlantic etc, is there for Sky, yet l have never watched it. Premier Sports (or Setanta) is on Sky but not VM l would love to see that channel - so the viewer wants and wants, But as VM Say's 'we are in talks'
i got sky,virgin media and freeview..
most of the time me and my lady watch normal tv 1 to 5..
i dont know why i bother with sky and virgin media?