Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Chronicles of Rishi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Chronicles of Rishi

Old 06-08-2023, 16:20   #826
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: The Chronicles of Rishi

@John:

The two cases bear no relation to each other. Where’s your evidence that Sunak diverts attention from governing to pursue additional wealth?

The other things that you cited as being wrong in the UK are indeed wrong. That’s down to bad government as a whole not down to Sunak’s wealth.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2023, 16:30   #827
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

@John:

The two cases bear no relation to each other. Where’s your evidence that Sunak diverts attention from governing to pursue additional wealth?

The other things that you cited as being wrong in the UK are indeed wrong. That’s down to bad government as a whole not down to Sunak’s wealth.

The burden should be on those in power to demonstrate they place aside their own personal interests from decision making - not the other way round.

Bad government leaves a massive cloud of incompetence where someone could reasonably hide nefarious decision making. Nobody is saying he’s sleeping at the wheel - so ‘attention diverted’ isn’t required. He could reasonably have two decisions in front of him with good and bad evidence to support both outcomes and lean more into the ones that generate personal wealth for his own interests. This could be extremely difficult to evidence - I’m certainly not making an accusation but that’s why we call for higher standards and ethics in public life - so even the appearance of being potentially grubby is avoided.

I wonder if - anywhere in the world - there’s evidence of a democratically elected politician supporting a policy or outcome where someone can directly point to it costing their own financial interests that predate their lives in politics.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:36   #828
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
@Ian

Sorry, but your last was a disgusting post. It was personal and, indeed, rabid.

Whete is the evidence that Sunak has avoided any tax he should have paid? Or is it just the envy that he is rich and most others are not?

Sunak came onto politics rich and that’s no reason not to stay rich anr reap the benefits of his past investments.

You’ve surpassed any of you other vitriolic replies.
To the New Seph, you need to wind in the hyperbole here. Your words, disgusting and rabid, are so over the top as to be humorous

To the Old Seph, you deliberately deflect into tax evasion. I am not addressing this here, rather I am addressing the moral position of an ultra-wealthy person paying a lower effective tax rate than a nurse (or similar). Saying that the ultra-wealthy should not pay the same tax as the rest of us because the laws that were created from their sponsorship allow them to is not a cogent argument.
Old 07-08-2023, 21:18   #829
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
<SNIP>

To the Old Seph, you deliberately deflect into tax evasion. I am not addressing this here, rather I am addressing the moral position of an ultra-wealthy person paying a lower effective tax rate than a nurse (or similar). Saying that the ultra-wealthy should not pay the same tax as the rest of us because the laws that were created from their sponsorship allow them to is not a cogent argument.
Yours is entirely a polemic argument that cannot be resolved.
Sunak and his wealth are facts. Same goes for any wealthy person who is not a politician and there is nor reasonable basis for attacking this.

However, you have said (or implied) that the governing party has allowed laws that favour the rich (aka Tory party donors), for example not closing tax loopholes. It would be difficult for me to refute that - the VIP scheme for Covid speaks to that.

But, for me, the choice is being governed by the Conservatives (admittedly more Thatcher and less the present muppets), or Labour who pretend to support the "masses" but is similarly (to other parties) only interested in power, which they would use to kick people who have worked hard to rise in society.

Sadly, this awful government of incompetents have blown it for the Conservatives and you will get, in part, what you wish for.

Regards - Old Seph.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:48   #830
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I am addressing the moral position of an ultra-wealthy person paying a lower effective tax rate than a nurse (or similar). Saying that the ultra-wealthy should not pay the same tax as the rest of us because the laws that were created from their sponsorship allow them to is not a cogent argument.
As long as it’s legal, what’s the problem?
Old 08-08-2023, 07:31   #831
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
No one said it isn't legal, they are saying the tax system should be changed.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:44   #832
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I thought Ian was suggesting it was immoral that a wealthy person should pay so little tax. I was merely highlighting that morality shouldn’t come into it. It’s ether legal or it isn’t.

As it’s legal, I see no reason to change it.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:27   #833
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I thought Ian was suggesting it was immoral that a wealthy person should pay so little tax. I was merely highlighting that morality shouldn’t come into it. It’s ether legal or it isn’t.

Well, people are going to pay as little as legally possible in tax. It's not immoral for someone not to overpay their taxes.

The fact it's legal is the reason to change it if you want them to pay more.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:38   #834
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well, people are going to pay as little as legally possible in tax. It's not immoral for someone not to overpay their taxes.

Actually, most of the tax avoidance cases are usually firms trying to find loopholes in existing legislation, which are later proven not to exist, thus they/their customers have to pay back the tax they tried to avoid (often with interest and/or fines)*.

So, often, they were never legal in the first place, it was just people trying it on…

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...oidance-scheme

Quote:
If you are involved in any of the tax avoidance schemes shown on this page, or recognise any of the promoters, enablers or suppliers, and are not already talking to HMRC about your tax position you should contact HMRC as soon as possible. There is more information about how to do this below. You can also report a tax avoidance scheme to HMRC.

There are other schemes, promoters, enablers and suppliers that HMRC cannot publish information about at this time. This may be because:

HMRC is gathering information about the promoter, enabler, supplier or avoidance schemes being marketed

HMRC is considering representations from a promoter, enabler or supplier
the appeal period for not withdrawing a stop notice has not ended

HMRC is not aware of the tax avoidance scheme, promoter, enabler or supplier

If a tax avoidance scheme is not shown in the list, this does not mean that the scheme works or is in any way approved by HMRC. HMRC does not approve tax avoidance schemes for use.
*this info comes from a close friend, who is a Senior Tax Partner in one of the Big Four accountancy firms, so I’m pretty sure he knows what he’s talking about
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 08-08-2023 at 09:41.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:11   #835
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

It’s not immoral for someone to not overpay tax - I don’t think Pierre claimed it was.

However the question of who pays tax, where and when in a country does result from the morals or values that have driven policy making.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:54   #836
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Just because it is legal does not make it right. Just look back into history for all the proof you need to validate this point.

But on a wider point here, those small number of people who think that they should not contribute to this society in the same way the vast majority do, specifically rely on people, like Pierre here, to parrot lines like:

- it's legal, where's the problem
- they "earned" their money, they should be able to keep it
- if we upset the rich people they will leave and we will be doomed

This line of thinking by a population groomed over the centuries is exactly what is needed to be challenged.

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Quote:

You misunderstand the definition of morality here:

"morality"

Quote:
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.
The distinction between right and wrong over the years has always been a societal one based on the consensus at the time. I am confident that a significant majority of the population would agree with the proposition that an ultra wealthy individual should contribute, at a minimum, the same as a Nurse.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s not immoral for someone to not overpay tax - I don’t think Pierre claimed it was.

However the question of who pays tax, where and when in a country does result from the morals or values that have driven policy making.
A good summary

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Here is some interesting data on UK Wealth Inequality:

https://equalitytrust.org.uk/scale-e...-inequality-uk

One of points made is this:

Quote:
By 2023, the richest 50 families in the UK held more wealth than half of the UK population, comprising 33.5 million people. If the wealth of the super rich continues to grow at the rate it has been, by 2035, the wealth of the richest 200 families will be larger than the whole UK GDP.
Is this "Moral"?
Old 08-08-2023, 13:30   #837
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Old Sep here:

An ultra-wealthy individual contributes fare more than a nurse.

Ian’s basic premise, as stated, is false.

Old 08-08-2023, 14:11   #838
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Just because it is legal does not make it right.
That’s all I was after.

I’ve just been fishing over here and I knew it wouldn’t be long before I caught what I wanted.

Now, if everyone can apply the above sentence to the Huw Edwards thread, I’d appreciate it. My work here is done.
Old 08-08-2023, 14:18   #839
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
That’s all I was after.

I’ve just been fishing over here and I knew it wouldn’t be long before I caught what I wanted.

Now, if everyone can apply the above sentence to the Huw Edwards thread, I’d appreciate it. My work here is done.
Well, since not everyone* applied that philosophy in that thread, why should everyone do so?

*in fact, very few did…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 20:38   #840
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Old Sep here:

An ultra-wealthy individual contributes fare more than a nurse.

Ian’s basic premise, as stated, is false.

Nope, that was New Seph! Old Seph would listen to the logic of the argument and try and reason based on worked examples rather that generic, unsupported, statements.

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:
That’s all I was after.

Not quite Mr Holmes. When you come back with the supporting evidence that Huw Edwards did something wrong, people might listen to you.

When you rant & rage based on an incorrect clickbait article from a Tabloid Rag then I am not surprised no one took you seriously.