Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 08-06-2024, 01:00   #736
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Parents can then be informed about it causing any interruption to learning and a discussion can be had as to whether the child actually needs the smartphone, whether it should be returned to them or of a basic non smartphone would be more appropriate.
It would be a very short discussion here - they would be told in no uncertain terms its none of their business whether MY child has a smartphone.

Quote:
They feel that the best way to stop young people from using social media is for staff & pupils to collaborate ...
Why should "young people" be stopped from using social media ?
Just because a small number cant cope, doesnt mean the rest should stop.
Some children cant behave properly in a resaurant, it doesnt mean all children should be banned from them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2024, 04:51   #737
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It would be a very short discussion here - they would be told in no uncertain terms its none of their business whether MY child has a smartphone.

Why should "young people" be stopped from using social media ?
Just because a small number cant cope, doesnt mean the rest should stop.
Some children cant behave properly in a resaurant, it doesnt mean all children should be banned from them.
The head said that she would explain the growing evidence that smartphones and social media are harmful to children. Parents would be free to ignore this advice outside of school.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 08:12   #738
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
They should not ignore it,its very real and scary!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 08:18   #739
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They should not ignore it,its very real and scary!!
Would you care to explain why, from your own point of view?
Old 08-06-2024, 09:37   #740
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
The head said that she would explain the growing evidence that smartphones and social media are harmful to children. Parents would be free to ignore this advice outside of school.
If such evidence genuinely does exist I’d certainly like to see it. My son had had my old iPhone 7 for a while and he’s pretty well adjusted.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 10:49   #741
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
If such evidence genuinely does exist I’d certainly like to see it. My son had had my old iPhone 7 for a while and he’s pretty well adjusted.
There is a lot of 'evidence' out there. Mainly from El Gov etc based on the impact and evidence of a minority that are affected. So basically the nut and a sledgehammer approach for everyone else due to the few. Which is why it's stupid and most are against it.
Old 08-06-2024, 19:36   #742
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There's plenty of archive resources for you to peruse in this thread or you can search online.

Incidents range from mental health problems to children being bullied/harrassed/trolled to the point of suicide.

I'm surprised that you need evidence given your involvement with catching paedophiles/hebephiles who operate primarily from online contact to the child's smartphone.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
There is a lot of 'evidence' out there. Mainly from El Gov etc based on the impact and evidence of a minority that are affected. So basically the nut and a sledgehammer approach for everyone else due to the few. Which is why it's stupid and most are against it.
It's correct to say that most on here appear to be against more controls over the use of smartphones by children, but this is not my experience in the wider world or that of the regulator.

Evidence has been provided from allsorts of adults & children. I'm not aware of any Government involvement apart from the introduction of the Online Safety Act, the establishment of Ofcom as the regulator and statements from individual or groups of MP's.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 08-06-2024 at 19:30.
Old 08-06-2024, 19:41   #743
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
There's plenty of archive resources for you to peruse in this thread or you can search online.

Incidents range from mental health problems to children being bullied/harrassed/trolled to the point of suicide.

I'm surprised that you need evidence given your involvement with catching paedophiles/hebephiles who operate primarily from online contact to the child's smartphone.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

It's correct to say that most on here appear to be against more controls over the use of smartphones by children, but this is not my experience in the wider world or that of the regulator.

Evidence has been provided from allsorts of adults & children. I'm not aware of any Government involvement apart from the introduction of the Online Safety Act, the establishment of Ofcom as the regulator and statements from individual or groups of MP's.
All of these things predate smartphones, and the internet. Kids are bad, maybe we should do away with them?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 19:42   #744
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut
There is a lot of 'evidence' out there. Mainly from El Gov etc based on the impact and evidence of a minority that are affected.
Yes and alot get dissiness more now than they did because of all this crap in the air!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 19:46   #745
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes and alot get dissiness more now than they did because of all this crap in the air!
Do you not have Bacofoil (aluminium) foil in America ?
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 19:54   #746
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I’ve had a look and seen plenty of opinions, but nothing that constitutes ‘evidence’

Quote:
You’re only surprised because you’re not aware of the methods used.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 08-06-2024, 23:35   #747
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I’ve had a look and seen plenty of opinions, but nothing that constitutes ‘evidence’

You’re only surprised because you’re not aware of the methods used.
The paedophile hunting groups that I've seen/spoken to tend to use decoys who pretend to be under age or involve real children. They then wait for innapropriate contact from adults and take it from there..

Does your group do things differently?
Old 09-06-2024, 00:13   #748
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

That’s about 20% of what hunting teams do

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 09-06-2024, 15:14   #749
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That’s about 20% of what hunting teams do
AIUI there are four main roles involved. Decoys who pretend to be under age, researchers who find out all about the life of the perpetrators, the hunters who go to visit the perpetrators to challenge them about their behaviour and security in case things turn nasty.
Old 09-06-2024, 15:53   #750
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
AIUI there are four main roles involved. Decoys who pretend to be under age, researchers who find out all about the life of the perpetrators, the hunters who go to visit the perpetrators to challenge them about their behaviour and security in case things turn nasty.
Kruger-Dunning effect again. There’s a hell of a lot more involved than you know. Watching a couple of videos of teams does not give you any legitimate insight.

Way off topic too.

Vote #AnyoneButTory