Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 12-10-2011, 10:23   #676
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Ok I see (I think)

Can you tell me how I can check which channel I'm on? So that I can try and change it and check difference?

Apologies if this is straightforward info on the Superhub connection info page nut I'm not at my pc just now, nut I've never paid attention to the upstream channel

Would I be correct in assuming that by changing channel I may be moving onto a less utilised channel?

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

I've just seen it m8, I'll try resetting until it changes from 3

Wonder how many hours that will take me
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42   #677
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullstein View Post
Wonder how many hours that will take me
.. and how many to get back if it turns out to be worse
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:37   #678
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Well the person who told me how to do it with the superhub says it only takes him a few attempts, it could be my UBR has issues causing traffic to propogate on one channel (graphs indicate that) so for you may be far quicker.

The best way for the superhub appears to be to go to the change password page and select reset to default settings and apply it. This makes the superhub scan for a fresh channel on the reboot. The channel can be viewed on the connection info page. Check what channel you on before doing this and if you in a non uplifted area its possible you may only have 1 US channel.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:51   #679
Bullstein
Inactive

Cheers m8

I'm on channel 3 so I'll try it tonight
Old 12-10-2011, 22:55   #680
Bullstein
Inactive

Well I tried this for 30 mins, each time it connected to channel 3 so I guess there's only 1 channel or else I didn't persevere long enough lol

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

speeds are good though

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Old 13-10-2011, 13:14   #681
Mr.A.2009
Inactive

Mr.A.2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think I might need to post on the community forum. This is starting to get ridiculous.
Mr.A.2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 13:44   #682
data0002
cf.addict

Services: 120mg Broadband (Virgin) telephone (Virgin media) 2 x Tivo
data0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had to have my hub changed yesterday because it wouldn't get the r30 fw but here is the the new one

data0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 17:06   #683
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

I would imagine that the spikes every hour are when my SAM box is testing the line
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:45   #684
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A.2009 View Post

Think I might need to post on the community forum. This is starting to get ridiculous.
Ouch, IMO it really should'nt be allowed to get that bad before something is done about it. I think VM need to address these issues of capacity before every tom, dick and harry jump on the 100Mb band wagon and destroy the service completely.

I know a few peeps have mentioned BT Infinity does'nt suffer the same congestion issues as VM but why is that and why can't VM employ the same methodology.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:10   #685
Mr.A.2009
Inactive

Mr.A.2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Connection has improved greatly after installing a 10db attenuator. I thought it made no difference at first but after testing it over the thinkbroadband monitor, it has made a world of difference.

Anyone now why the Max Raw Bit Rate for the upstream changes from 10240 Kbits/sec to 20480 Kbits/sec? This pretty much happens once a day
Mr.A.2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:45   #686
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Ouch, IMO it really should'nt be allowed to get that bad before something is done about it. I think VM need to address these issues of capacity before every tom, dick and harry jump on the 100Mb band wagon and destroy the service completely.

I know a few peeps have mentioned BT Infinity does'nt suffer the same congestion issues as VM but why is that and why can't VM employ the same methodology.
The sad thing is I expect his UBR even with that graph is not reached VMs threshold yet for an upgrade.

Their 80% threshold system is now outdated with the new policy of allowing single user's to use 60% capacity of a channel.

Whats very worrying tho is the fact VM appear to only start upgrade work after high utilisation is reported to them by customers, I have lost count of the amount of times I have read on VMs forums that tech support staff have escalated work to be carried out following a complaint, why isnt this been done pro actively?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 11:27   #687
toady777
Inactive

toady777 is an unknown quantity at this point

please feel for me:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...4-10-2011.html

i cant seem to get the forum to work on the shared graph link either

Edit: Yay - got the graph to work!
toady777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 11:39   #688
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady777 View Post
please feel for me:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...4-10-2011.html

i cant seem to get the forum to work on the shared graph link either
Ouch

Here's a good one to compere it to

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 11:50   #689
toady777
Inactive

toady777 is an unknown quantity at this point

swap?
toady777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 12:12   #690
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady777 View Post
swap?
Sorry no

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote