Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Your predictions under Labour

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Your predictions under Labour

Old 08-07-2024, 20:32   #46
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: Your predictions under Labour

Forget taxing the rich, it's never going to happen.

The only way to guarantee that the tax can be collected is by taking it at source, which is what PAYE does. It's far easier for the rich to be portable, hit them with big tax increases and they will be off to somewhere that's less of a communist state just like they did in the 1970s.

The only guaranteed way of raising more tax is to screw those in the middle, who are generally the ones that have taken risks to have that success.

My wife would pay tax twice on the money she earns abroad if she brought it into this country.
Old 08-07-2024, 20:49   #47
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You really are not listening here. I am not talking about PAYE earnings which a lot of high net worth individuals do not receive in meaningful terms. I know about RSU's, I get them and I pay an effective tax rate of over 50% on them. Again, I am not talking about the people who receive taxed at source income.

Here's an article that covers this problem: https://www.lse.ac.uk/research/resea...ich-really-pay

This survey was done in 2015-2016. The wealth inequality has increases markedly since then. So back to my point:

The fact that you return back to the PAYE use case means you are not looking at those who generate their wealth through other means, exactly as intended.

I will leave this point with you, again from the article above:

and lastly, Rishi Sunak paid effective tax rate of 23% on £2.2m income in 2023, roughly the same as an average nurse earning £37,000. You would find this perfectly acceptable I presume?

Labour should commission a root & branch reform of the tax system for high net worth individuals and large corporates to make the playing field a bit more level.
I think the issue is one of perspective

Someone on 30k per year looks at someone on 60k per year and says, they earn twice what I do, they can afford to pay a bit more tax , they can change their lifestyle. Someone on 60k looks at someone on a 100k per year and thinks the same. The issue is that people always think that the ring above should pay more and if required adjust their lifestyle to fit without needing to make a change themselves

Going back to PAYE and RSU and I agree that this is personal, not general

I was given a block of RSU’s and I also went into an agreement whereby I purchased an amount of RSU’s per month with money I had already paid tax on.

Company gets bought and taken private the RSU’s are converted into cash equities which vest/are paid out at the same time as RSU’s would have vested. Cash equities are paid as PAYE which i pay tax at 45%, NI and employers NI

Hardly seems fair does it ?
Old 08-07-2024, 21:00   #48
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
Forget taxing the rich, it's never going to happen.

The only way to guarantee that the tax can be collected is by taking it at source, which is what PAYE does. It's far easier for the rich to be portable, hit them with big tax increases and they will be off to somewhere that's less of a communist state just like they did in the 1970s.

The only guaranteed way of raising more tax is to screw those in the middle, who are generally the ones that have taken risks to have that success.

My wife would pay tax twice on the money she earns abroad if she brought it into this country.
Exactly what they want you to think. Their work is done ...

A point to ponder:

Quote:
The wealth of the UK's billionaires has skyrocketed by over 1000% between 1990 and 2022, ballooning by around £600bn. The number of billionaires exploded from 15 in 1990 to 177 this year. Between 2020 and 2022 alone, billionaire wealth increased by almost £150bn.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I think the issue is one of perspective

Someone on 30k per year looks at someone on 60k per year and says, they earn twice what I do, they can afford to pay a bit more tax , they can change their lifestyle. Someone on 60k looks at someone on a 100k per year and thinks the same. The issue is that people always think that the ring above should pay more and if required adjust their lifestyle to fit without needing to make a change themselves

Going back to PAYE and RSU and I agree that this is personal, not general

I was given a block of RSU’s and I also went into an agreement whereby I purchased an amount of RSU’s per month with money I had already paid tax on.

Company gets bought and taken private the RSU’s are converted into cash equities which vest/are paid out at the same time as RSU’s would have vested. Cash equities are paid as PAYE which i pay tax at 45%, NI and employers NI

Hardly seems fair does it ?
Yes, I agree it is not fair. I don't like paying 50+% tax rate when those with more money than they can spend, pay a fraction of this. The irony here is that they would not even notice the sums that that should be paying.

Don't forget, the country has been groomed for decades to think the ultra wealthy are beyond reach and can raise revenue from the country with a minimal tax burden while the vast majority of the population pay tax rates far in excess of these.

The funniest part of this whole circus is when those who are paying the 30% or 40% tax rate where they have no choice, at the same time, call those who think the ultra-wealthy should pay more crazy Who are really the crazy ones?
Old 08-07-2024, 21:09   #49
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

A point to ponder:

Yes, I agree it is not fair. I don't like paying 50+% tax rate when those with more money than they can spend, pay a fraction of this. The irony here is that they would not even notice the sums that that should be paying.

Don't forget, the country has been groomed for decades to think the ultra wealthy are beyond reach and can raise revenue from the country with a minimal tax burden while the vast majority of the population pay tax rates far in excess of these.

The funniest part of this whole circus is when those who are paying the 30% or 40% tax rate where they have no choice, at the same time, call those who think the ultra-wealthy should pay more crazy Who are really the crazy ones?
Like I said the view of who is ultra wealthy is entirely relative someone on minimum wage probably views someone on 50k as being ultra wealthy,someone who earns 50k sees someone on 150k as being ultra wealthy etc etc and each person in the lower bracket expects the person in the next bracket up to make the sacrifice.
Old 08-07-2024, 21:17   #50
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Like I said the view of who is ultra wealthy is entirely relative someone on minimum wage probably views someone on 50k as being ultra wealthy,someone who earns 50k sees someone on 150k as being ultra wealthy etc etc and each person in the lower bracket expects the person in the next bracket up to make the sacrifice.
I disagree. I am being very objective and definitive. In my examples, I would draw the line at maybe £5 to £10 million net worth. There is no confusion.
Old 08-07-2024, 21:25   #51
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
I disagree. I am being very objective and definitive. In my examples, I would draw the line at maybe £5 to £10 million net worth. There is no confusion.
To clarify my statement is how I believe that the general public view ‘ultra wealthy’ not you specifically
Old 08-07-2024, 21:29   #52
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
To clarify my statement is how I believe that the general public view ‘ultra wealthy’ not you specifically
Agreed and therein lies the problem ... exactly as designed
Old 08-07-2024, 21:35   #53
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
You really are not listening here. I am not talking about PAYE earnings which a lot of high net worth individuals do not receive in meaningful terms. I know about RSU's, I get them and I pay an effective tax rate of over 50% on them. Again, I am not talking about the people who receive taxed at source income.

Here's an article that covers this problem: https://www.lse.ac.uk/research/resea...ich-really-pay

This survey was done in 2015-2016. The wealth inequality has increases markedly since then. So back to my point:

The fact that you return back to the PAYE use case means you are not looking at those who generate their wealth through other means, exactly as intended.

I will leave this point with you, again from the article above:

and lastly, Rishi Sunak paid effective tax rate of 23% on £2.2m income in 2023, roughly the same as an average nurse earning £37,000. You would find this perfectly acceptable I presume?
Repeat good accountants
Labour should commission a root & branch reform of the tax system for high net worth individuals and large corporates to make the playing field a bit more level.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:24   #54
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:

A point to ponder:

it's not about "what they want me think", it's about common sense and practicality. taxing the rich didn't work in the 1970s, and people are more portable these days so it will be less likely to work.

I'm not envious or even the bit interested how much someone else earns or has in the bank, what house they live in, what car they drive or how many helicopters they own, I'm only interested in how much I'm being screwed.

The answer to reducing my tax to a fair level where I'm not having over 60% taken off me isn't to chase a unicorn tax.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:43   #55
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Just to clarify the 60% figure - are you stating that if you earned, say, £150k, you would have tax (including NI (employer & employee)) deductions of £90k?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 09:42   #56
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
it's not about "what they want me think", it's about common sense and practicality. taxing the rich didn't work in the 1970s, and people are more portable these days so it will be less likely to work.

I'm not envious or even the bit interested how much someone else earns or has in the bank, what house they live in, what car they drive or how many helicopters they own, I'm only interested in how much I'm being screwed.

The answer to reducing my tax to a fair level where I'm not having over 60% taken off me isn't to chase a unicorn tax.
Again, you preach the line again: "taxing the rich does not work". That is what they want you to say and you duly oblige

However the most ironic part is that you do not mind how many helicopters they own, how many mansions they have, etc. yet you whinge about paying too much tax. Spoiler alert: if they paid more tax (much smaller, as a percentage, than you do), you would not have to pay so much.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:24   #57
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just to clarify the 60% figure - are you stating that if you earned, say, £150k, you would have tax (including NI (employer & employee)) deductions of £90k?
That's not exactly what I am getting at.

I'm not going to quote figures because that's my business, but as an example:

I am paid weekly on the contract that is inside IR35, so it's quite easy for me to break down the costs on a weekly basis.

If I work 4 days instead of 5, the PAYE deductions mean that the difference in my pocket is that I lose is within a few pounds equivalent to a third of a days pay. Working that fifth day gives the taxman 66% of it.

If I work 3 days instead of 5, for those 2 days I haven't worked I lose the equivalent of two thirds of a days pay.

Hence why I have discussed with the client that if they want me to renew the contract I will only renew the contract with less days. Losing two thirds of a days pay and having two days off is a no brainer.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Quote:
Again, you preach the line again: "taxing the rich does not work". That is what they want you to say and you duly oblige

However the most ironic part is that you do not mind how many helicopters they own, how many mansions they have, etc. yet you whinge about paying too much tax. Spoiler alert: if they paid more tax (much smaller, as a percentage, than you do), you would not have to pay so much.
Tax from the rich that can't be collected is not going to reduce tax for anyone else. Labour tried it in the 1970s and it was a disaster, it's nothing but a soundbite to rile up the jealous in our society.
Old 09-07-2024, 10:39   #58
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://www.unbiased.co.uk/discover/...gally-avoid-it

No, not exactly, as above it’s a stealth band.

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 09-07-2024 at 10:42.
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 10:53   #59
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Quote:
https://www.unbiased.co.uk/discover/...gally-avoid-it

No, not exactly, as above it’s a stealth band.
I'm already taking the pension contributions into consideration, but once you max out on the upper limit there's no savings.

The salary sacrifice option is not open to everyone to take advantage, if you are working via an umbrella company you are generally provided with a list of those that are approved and I found that many on the list I was provided did not offer salary sacrifice. The only option you have then is the pay the pension contributions after paying 40% or 45% tax and claiming it back at the end of the year from HMRC. However, you have still lost out because you have paid employee and employer NI on that money.

I fully expect Labour to remove the higher rates of tax relief on pension contributions, it will send out a message to their core voters that they are punishing the "rich".
Old 09-07-2024, 21:50   #60
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have nothing to hide so will happily carry and ID card.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

They'll raise taxes in one way.

Screw the motorist, Their OK as they claim the money back and we pay for it.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote