Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 30-12-2023, 10:46   #5791
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The link repeated what you said - it didn’t confirm it with evidence…

At least OB expresses definite views. Whereas others just like to prod him wit their picador sticks. You know who you are as do I.

This isn’t a court of law and hiding behind a demand for proof is ridiculous (generally).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2023, 10:46   #5792
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
This will be the situation for years to come. As far away as 2026, UBS expects the UK to grow by 1.3pc and the eurozone by 1.1pc, while Germany is the laggard on 0.9pc.
Guessing then.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 10:50   #5793
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

At least OB expresses definite views. Whereas others just like to prod him wit their picador sticks. You know who you are as do I.

This isn’t a court of law and hiding behind a demand for proof is ridiculous (generally).

I’ve expressed a definite view that Redwood is a cross-dressing secret Labour supporter - I haven’t seen you deny it…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 12:26   #5794
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The link repeated what you said - it didn’t confirm it with evidence…
Obviously that WAS the evidence that there was disquiet in the Conservative Party about the political bias of civil servants. It’s not for me to prove whether they are right or wrong about that. I was pointing out that such disquiet existed. That is all.

Do you think we could actually discuss the topic?
Old 30-12-2023, 12:58   #5795
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Obviously that WAS the evidence that there was disquiet in the Conservative Party about the political bias of civil servants. It’s not for me to prove whether they are right or wrong about that. I was pointing out that such disquiet existed. That is all.

Do you think we could actually discuss the topic?
Not what you said…

You stated in post #5738

Quote:
The civil service is left-leaning and anti-Brexit anyway. This change from the neutrality they once adopted will eventually bite them in the bum when new governments bring in their own administrations to help them develop and roll out their policies.
Your proposition is circular and self-referential - the purported evidence that "the civil service is left-leaning and anti-Brexit anyway." is that the Conservative Party and Cabinet Ministers think it is…

It’s hard to discuss a topic when there’s no basis except "the Conservative Party think so"…
Old 30-12-2023, 13:19   #5796
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I’ve expressed a definite view that Redwood is a cross-dressing secret Labour supporter - I haven’t seen you deny it…
You're being sillier than usual. Have you noting worthwhile to opine about UK outside the EU?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 17:22   #5797
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not what you said…

You stated in post #5738

Your proposition is circular and self-referential - the purported evidence that "the civil service is left-leaning and anti-Brexit anyway." is that the Conservative Party and Cabinet Ministers think it is…

It’s hard to discuss a topic when there’s no basis except "the Conservative Party think so"…
What a ridiculous comment!

There has been enough written about that bias, and having worked alongside civil servants myself, I think it is spot on. It was not always like that - they used to be genuinely neutral.

I don’t need to provide a link to everything I say, and nor does anyone. Even when I do, you and your mates try to discredit the source or find some other excuse to discredit it.

If you disagree with anyone on here, why not simply debate it instead of trying to suppress an opinion?

The subject is Britain outside the EU. Can we get back to that, please?
Old 30-12-2023, 18:31   #5798
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
What a ridiculous comment!

There has been enough written about that bias, and having worked alongside civil servants myself, I think it is spot on. It was not always like that - they used to be genuinely neutral.

I don’t need to provide a link to everything I say, and nor does anyone. Even when I do, you and your mates try to discredit the source or find some other excuse to discredit it.

If you disagree with anyone on here, why not simply debate it instead of trying to suppress an opinion?

The subject is Britain outside the EU. Can we get back to that, please?
Despite your obvious overtly bias protestations Civil Servants are genuinely neutral whatever government is in power.

Prove otherwise...
Old 30-12-2023, 18:39   #5799
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Despite your obvious overtly bias protestations Civil Servants are genuinely neutral whatever government is in power.

Prove otherwise...
My own personal experience over 57 years is all the proof I need. I’ve seen it for myself.
Old 30-12-2023, 18:50   #5800
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

Prove otherwise...
Steve Hilton that worked for David Cameron, say otherwise.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/24Yhbe4gzaApXFXQYcyXVW

Prove he’s wrong.
Old 30-12-2023, 19:02   #5801
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Civil Servants themselves are not going to be "neutral", they will have personal views, just like everyone else.
What they should be doing is performing their duties in a 'neutral' manner, regardless of who is giving the instructions (i.e. in power).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 20:53   #5802
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Steve Hilton that worked for David Cameron, say otherwise.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/24Yhbe4gzaApXFXQYcyXVW

Prove he’s wrong.
I just wasted an hour of my life for him to say - somewhere around 10 mins from the end - he found his encounters with the civil service to be professional and he didn't think they were on a crusade to subvert the Government.

He invokes Blair a number of times as some kind of shield for his own views for smaller Government/less civil servants. What struck me throughout is that seemingly neither he, nor politicians, had realistic expectations of how Government actually works.

He gives an example at the start where they looked at Government announcements over a week - 30% in the coalition agreement, and the other 70% in a 40/30 split between EU directives and things outside the coalition agreement. The EU directives, rightly or wrongly, were the constitutional arrangement at the time. The rest will be legislation or programmes that existed before that Government came to power.

The whole point of a Civil Service is to manage the transition. Governments don't come to power on day 1 with a clean slate - there will be baked in commitments and funding for programmes or projects that will date from before (and in some cases, go on after) Governments come and go. Ministers have to decide whether to stop those - civil servants can't just abandon them of their own accord.

The segment on immigration was quite funny, it seamlessly transitioned from illegal immigration to immigration and ignored that the vast majority of immigration (and thus, Conservative governments failure to control net migration) is legal migration. He almost gets to the point that politicians shouldn't lie to the electorate on the campaign, but never quite says it.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2023, 23:20   #5803
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Civil Servants themselves are not going to be "neutral", they will have personal views, just like everyone else.
What they should be doing is performing their duties in a 'neutral' manner, regardless of who is giving the instructions (i.e. in power).
Yes. I don't disagree.
Old 31-12-2023, 19:44   #5804
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

https://x.com/kemibadenoch/status/17...Fx9lsEXWlOa1jg

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...united-kingdom

Quote:
the Participants, in the spirit of promoting closer relationships, intend to further support and work co-operatively within the boundaries of existing laws and treaties in their respective jurisdictions on goals and issues as set forth below.
Quote:
This MOU is not legally binding under state, national, or international law and does not create any legal obligation to carry out or to financially support any activity.
The U.S. Constitution, through the Commerce Clause, gives Congress exclusive power over trade activities between the states and with foreign countries…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4232.jpeg (114.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 31-12-2023, 19:52   #5805
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

I was complaining in a private forum about Jersey banks for leaks to EU/USA and then, I got this from a wealth advisor

You can employ "funnelling" involving bearer bonds purchased through offshore nominees, placed in a tax haven, and redeemed upon the submission of "invoices" from a shell company. Subsequently, these funds are channeled into the "UK," through Channel Islands or Isle of Man deposit accounts, without being registered in the name of the ultimate recipient until they are collected by designated representatives. Cost 2%-5%

Unbelievable. You learn something new every day!
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote