Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 15-12-2014, 13:44   #5251
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Journalism at its best ,

Wasn't aware time travel was available.
Ha, ha, I noticed hat as well, and wondered whether this was what he was going to say! However, I think it should have read 2014!

Nonetheless, recent developments indicate that a bid in competition with Sky is quite likely to be successful this time around. Sky may find itself left with the minority share of the Premiership rights.

All speculation, of course, but these are interesting times.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2014, 13:59   #5252
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I confidently predict that the distribution of Premier League rights will remain broadly similar to the current situation. Friday night football is, imo, a way of allowing BT more matches without impacting Sky.

I'm more interested in what Sky are planning to do with Sky Sports 5 once they lost the Champions League.
Old 15-12-2014, 14:15   #5253
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ha, ha, I noticed hat as well, and wondered whether this was what he was going to say! However, I think it should have read 2014!

Nonetheless, recent developments indicate that a bid in competition with Sky is quite likely to be successful this time around. Sky may find itself left with the minority share of the Premiership rights.

Not for customers! The more the rights are fragmented the more we have to pay.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 14:45   #5254
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Does it really matter who's successful ? In my opinion all these companies want a maximum return from their investment unless your of the opinion BT will somehow save us a vast fortune over Sky's current subscription model.

Let's face it whoever outbids Sky is going to have to pay huge sums to do so.

Your last sentence should have perhaps said the following

Quote:
All speculation, of course, but these could be expensive times.
Or it will for those stupid enough to pay full whack.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 21:26   #5255
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

And let`s not forget Sky have more money to spend now they don`t have the champions league games,next season of course.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 22:26   #5256
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
And let`s not forget Sky have more money to spend now they don`t have the champions league games,next season of course.
Don't forget that Sky UK & Ireland has spent heavily on acquiring its sister companies in Italy and Germany.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 23:01   #5257
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

That's true but in my opinion I'd say these rights are essential to Sky's future success.

A few years back Sky was virtually unchallenged , now it has to continue to compete with its traditional pay TV platforms as well as the likes of Netflix , Amazon and the many other low cost online alternatives. Whilst moving into Entertainment made sense I still believe one of the main drivers is Premier League football.

BT's potential purchase of EE must also be causing some headaches at Sky , Vodafone could also make a move for a pay TV provider , this is probably the most challenging time the Sky board has ever faced.
Old 16-12-2014, 09:17   #5258
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I don't think it's as big a headache as all that because I don't think there's quite the appetite for quad play. I've been a quad play customer. I had a two year mobile contract and little opportunity to renegotiate my other three services which were on 1 year deals. I'm now with another provider on a better deal and can't see me going back. Besides which, EE already offer broadband and home phone, so apart from good 4g infrastructure and 25m customers to sell tv to, BT aren't adding anything to their core triple play business. I think if it happens we'll continue to see them run separately.
Old 16-12-2014, 09:52   #5259
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Does it really matter who's successful ? In my opinion all these companies want a maximum return from their investment unless your of the opinion BT will somehow save us a vast fortune over Sky's current subscription model.

Let's face it whoever outbids Sky is going to have to pay huge sums to do so.

Your last sentence should have perhaps said the following

Or it will for those stupid enough to pay full whack.
Well, I hope this ends with a more positive impact on prices than a lot of us are thinking may happen, but I think the good thing that is likely to materialise with other companies getting a share of the Premiere league is less of this nonsense in which some matches, or the HD versions of them are 'exclusive' to one TV platform.

I simply don't see the likes of BT or Discovery getting into that silliness except as retaliation against Sky's tactics.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 10:22   #5260
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Let's wait and see , BT haven't so far been in the dominant position when it comes to sport , they've needed their channel on as many platforms as possible to promote it.

BT aren't making an aggressive push into sports rights to benefit other platforms this is purely to sell Fibre Broadband and push people onto its own TV service.

As for its potential purchase of EE , this will allow it to sell BT Sport bundled with its 4G service similar to how Vodafone offer Sky Sports with 4G contracts.
Old 16-12-2014, 12:57   #5261
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point

Sport and in general but particular is now the only selling point of paid tv now. However the PL need to get real as well as BT and sky. What is going to happen in this bidding is the prices will soar to record levels again which will then have the know on affect of raising prices to the consumer. With the prices the way they are now I am cancelling my movies and sports as there is no value anymore. For the amount of money I am paying compared to the number of matches I watch there isnt the value there and judging by the people I speak to Im not the only one. Im a broken record here but in order to show value all the matches should be available. I can see a crash or a readjustment happening as it looks like it will be a viscous circle. The prices are going to go up because the rights are more expensive. More people are going to cancel as the prices go up. And off we go again.
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 16:06   #5262
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Don't forget that Sky UK & Ireland has spent heavily on acquiring its sister companies in Italy and Germany.
Wouldn`t that of come out of a separate budget though?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 16:23   #5263
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Thierry Henry to join Sky Sports

Story
Old 18-12-2014, 17:20   #5264
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Great footballer's generally don't make great pundits in my humble opinion.
Old 18-12-2014, 18:35   #5265
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Great footballer's generally don't make great pundits in my humble opinion.
Normally I would agree but Henry was fantastic with the BBC in the World Cup.
Bircho is offline   Reply With Quote