Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2011, 18:09   #5101
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
i know MM vm just reselling channels thats why i only mentioned bandwidth not studio and equipment my point was sky got no debt VM got massive debt and managed free HD
Sky had the HD charge to recoup the increased broadcast costs involved with HD, admittedly some 5 years on you would have expected it to be reviewed , I guess it will be looked at when subscriber numbers take a sharp decline remember Sky+ functionality cost 10.00 for a good while until the charge was dropped for Sky TV customers. Anyway back on topic is the 500gb TIVO 40.00 from tomorrow my father is after one.
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2011, 18:13   #5102
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky had the Had charge to recoup the increased broadcast costs involved with HD admittedly some 5 years on you would have expected it to be reviewed , I guess it will be looked at when subscriber number take a sharp decline remember Sky+ functionality cost 10.00 for a good while until the charge was dropped for Sky TV customers.
yes just think they could lower HD charge with all the money they made from it and least they did one good think with going per account instead of per box that was greed imo

i waiting till sky sports red button on tivo before i change v+ box for a second tivo box
Old 28-09-2011, 18:18   #5103
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting read with TIVO mentioned , apologies if this has been posted.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...d-network.html
Old 28-09-2011, 18:27   #5104
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Interesting read with TIVO mentioned , apologies if this has been posted.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...d-network.html
News to me
Old 28-09-2011, 18:47   #5105
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Thanks for the MM I thought that I was going mad again
No you are not mad and never have been.
Old 28-09-2011, 18:53   #5106
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yes HD does cost more than SD, But what I meant about Dave why would they need all of that new stuff when all the show are from the BBC? So why would they need new studios etc.
They would need a lot more bandwidth, you can broadcast about 8 SD channels with the same bandwidth it takes to broadcast one HD channle although with MPEG4 being used by Sky that maybe more efficient. Next you need HD playout facilities whether you do that inhouse or via a third party that also cost a lot of money.
Old 28-09-2011, 19:06   #5107
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

UKTV uses Red Bee for it's channel playout facilities http://www.redbeemedia.com/news/uktv...-red-bee-media

Same people who do Channel 4's playout

As they already have HD facilities I doubt that the costs would be that much greater than for SD playout
Old 28-09-2011, 19:15   #5108
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
UKTV uses Red Bee for it's channel playout facilities http://www.redbeemedia.com/news/uktv...-red-bee-media

As they already have HD facilities I doubt that the costs would be that much greater than for SD playout
If this was the case many more channels would have switched to HD , personally can't see that being correct.
Old 28-09-2011, 19:18   #5109
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If this was the case many more channels would have switched to HD , personally can't see that being correct.
HD is only worth doing if you have the HD content though
Old 28-09-2011, 19:21   #5110
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
well vm managed HD free except sky premium HD of course sky charge not VM's dont they have same costs with bandwidth ect and remember VM got massive debt sky aint
Actually, Sky reported in July 2011 Adjusted Net Debt of £1,518 million....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 28-09-2011, 19:21   #5111
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
HD is only worth doing if you have the HD content though
True , fair point.
Old 28-09-2011, 19:22   #5112
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to see More4 going HD soon
Old 28-09-2011, 19:27   #5113
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:

But they would still need to pay to male use of their HD suites look at Paramount they still won't pay to have Comedy Central or music MTV channels moved to widescreen cable suites even though the play out facility they use has them.
Old 28-09-2011, 19:48   #5114
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Actually, Sky reported in July 2011 Adjusted Net Debt of £1,518 million....
But the difference is as you know that Sky generates huge revenues and is supported by a company with huge resources and Virgin have not got that at their disposal and have debts of £5,800 million...
Old 29-09-2011, 12:41   #5115
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Suspect this has always been the case but noticed yesterday that if you look at the EPG when a planned recording is scheduled and you have set up padding (2 minutes say), the actual recording icon is shown against the previous programme the padding covers and not your planned programme. This is the case until the time passes to the scheduled programme and then the recording icon moves to the planned programme to be recorded.

Looks very strange if you just happen to look at the EPG during the padding period and initially makes you think you’ve set up the wrong programme to record or that was the reaction of my family last night when this was spotted.

Tivo seems to have a knack on making things difficult when they should be straight forward. The recording icon should be shown for the programme you want to record that all and not move around to cover the short recording periods either end of your planned programme if padding is set. Just wait until global padding is available and users “miss-interpret” what the EPG shows!

While Tivo certainly has useful features and the only way today to get to a 1TB storage capacity essential for regular HD recording, I have to say Tivo has the worst user interface I’ve even seen. It seems to have been designed by geeks to be watched by geeks not consumers. My family finds it so frustrating and this is not a case of additional options as I’ve seen as a reply to comments like this, it is simple bad UI design written to be functional not practical/convenient.

A usability design/simplification should certainly be considered by VM and something Tivo need to learn from.
Closed Thread