Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is Virgin still crap?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is Virgin still crap?

Old 12-02-2023, 17:28   #31
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Is Virgin still crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
I probably already know the answer to this question but is VM still crap?

I've been with ADSL providers now for the last 10 years or so because i had endless years of arguing with Virgin about their jitter fest of a connection and intermittent speed issues due to over subscribing etc etc.

Have things changed or am i still better off on ultrafast fibre?

Looking to switch ISPs shortly.
I can only speak about my own experience.

My area historically has been for for many years a perpetual high utilisation area, densely populated city area where VM has massive take up.

After several years away from VM, a combination of no FTTP in the area, and an annoying fault on my VDSL service, I decided to take the plunge as VM do now have a 14 day penalty free trial period.

I signed up for Gig1, note Gig1 has exclusive use of the 3.1 downstream channel whilst still having access to the 3.0 channels making downstream congestion considerably less likely given the vast majority of customers are on lower tiers.

So how has it been?

Downstream performance is great I am able to hit gigabit speeds around the clock, routinely burst to a few hundred mbits when loading youtube videos e.g., games come down lightning quick, and I can actually multi task on the internet connection now.

In addition jitter issues are considerably improved, its not a DSL level of jitter, but its low enough now that it doesnt really affect working on SSH command line. (Low latency DOCSIS is currently been tested by VM).

Upstream is still congested (remember just speaking about my network segment), I can only consistently get full speeds uploading between about 2am and 8am. Between about 8am and 6pm, it wavers, but usually still above 45. Then during the evening it drops down to about 25-30. Note I am in a 50mhz return path area, so no new upstream channels coming my way just the four 3.0 channels. If you in an area with more modern return path, then you likely have a considerable upstream capacity increase in your area now.

I suspect (but no idea if true) VM are probably using some kind of AQM now, probably PIE if they are. Given my area still has upstream congestion, but no impact on downloads, and also only limited impact on jitter.

I think its worth trying them out, if its still bad, then cancel within the 14 days. Note unlike DSL providers, the 14 days starts from activation, not from ordering.

Last edited by Chrysalis; 12-02-2023 at 17:35.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2023, 22:30   #32
PoliticalN00b
cf.member

PoliticalN00b is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only comment on broadband. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's crap, it's good value for money. However it doesn't have the same reputation it used to, because fibre has become commonplace. Also Virgin don't do FTTP for all packages whereas BT do. Virgin only do FTTC packages apart from for the most expensive one
PoliticalN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 18:46   #33
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Well put it this way, i wont be recommending them to anyone again.

I was taken into hospital with a heart attack on the 14th of December 22 and spent a month in a coma, all in all i was in hospital just over 2 months.

While in hospital they cut our services twice stating lack of funds to cover the direct debit and there was more than enough funds in the account and when the account was checked they hadn't even attempted to take any money as it was still in there.

I'm a very annoyed customer.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 00:09   #34
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post

I was taken into hospital with a heart attack on the 14th of December 22 and spent a month in a coma, all in all i was in hospital just over 2 months.

While in hospital they cut our services twice stating lack of funds to cover the direct debit and there was more than enough funds in the account and when the account was checked they hadn't even attempted to take any money as it was still in there.

I'm sorry to hear that. They did exactly the same thing to a late friend of mine a couple of years ago whilst he was in hospital with after a heart attack. The last thing you need after thst is having to call them.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 07:58   #35
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

So Virgin Media now somehow know when someone goes into hospital and don’t action direct debits??
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:03   #36
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:

This makes zero sense, how would VM even know if you're in hospital or not?

If you pay by DD it would be automatic regardless of your location - provided you had funds in your bank.

Additionally, why would you be charged 2x in a month? Best I can think of would be perhaps a DD for VMedia and one for VMobile.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:23   #37
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
This makes zero sense, how would VM even know if you're in hospital or not?

If you pay by DD it would be automatic regardless of your location - provided you had funds in your bank.

Additionally, why would you be charged 2x in a month? Best I can think of would be perhaps a DD for VMedia and one for VMobile.
What the heck u going on about? I never said they knew i was in hospital i just said what happened while i was in hospital.

Just checked my emails and they have sent me another email claiming i still owe £51 after paying £131 to have services put back on and was told next bill wasn't due till March. This is stress i can do without and having to sort out their mistakes.
Old 16-02-2023, 10:15   #38
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
What the heck u going on about? I never said they knew i was in hospital i just said what happened while i was in hospital.

Just checked my emails and they have sent me another email claiming i still owe £51 after paying £131 to have services put back on and was told next bill wasn't due till March. This is stress i can do without and having to sort out their mistakes.
Do you pay by Direct debit Y/N

Do you have VM mobile as well as media Y/N

If you answer Y to the first question then you either had no money in your account or you're delirious.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 12:36   #39
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

I do pay Via Direct Debit and there was more than double the amount needed to cover the bill in the account at all times and they didn't even attempt to debit.

No VM Mobile, I'm with EE at present.

I know and can prove there was cash in that account at all times.
Old 16-02-2023, 12:38   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If they had tried and failed you would get a letter from your bank saying they rejected it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 12:53   #41
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Chris, I've had no such letter which again shows they didn't even attempt to take it.
Old 16-02-2023, 13:28   #42
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I've had this before, but the bank said that no attempt was made (so there must be a record kept if this ever happens).

My late friend immediately cancelled with Virgin and, within days, whilst he was waiting for a final bill, they had the audacity to refer the account to a debt collection agency who sent a debt collector round! Luckily I was there and explained the situation to him.

@Corey If Virgin have added any extra fees on for late payment (no idea if they actually do or not),I would dispute this considering that your bank have confirmed that no effort was made to actually collect any monies due.

I would also advise you to check that Virgin haven't informed any credit reference agencies as this incorrect information could make any attempt to obtain credit from elsewhere more difficult or expensive. You can do this for free on the internet.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-02-2023 at 13:34. Reason: Spelling & completion. Fac HTH
Old 17-02-2023, 00:52   #43
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

His bank hasnt confirmed it, hes simply stated he thinks they didnt.
Given the whole system is automated, it does seem odd they would not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 15:20   #44
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

I have contacted Virgin and the other £51 they had the cheek to email me about isnt due until March 5th.

This is all stress I can do without in the recovery stage of a heart attack.
Old 18-02-2023, 15:31   #45
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

[/COLOR]
Quote:
I have contacted Virgin and the other £51 they had the cheek to email me about isnt due until March 5th.

This is all stress I can do without in the recovery stage of a heart attack.
I can totally sympathise as they did the exact same thing to my now late friend. He couldn't be doing with it, so got rid of them straight away. Even then they appointed a debt collection agency before sending him a final bill!!

If you're still in contract, perhaps you can get rid of them due to the forthcoming price rises? Your health is too important for this.