Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Madeleine McCann

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Madeleine McCann

Old 21-05-2007, 09:05   #391
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Toddler 'abducted' during holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
this has to be the biggest ever suck in from a spam email in history
You are probably right Zing, but some people might like to feel they have done their small part to help, by doing this.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2007, 12:33   #392
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
...Please can we stop arguing amongst ourselves, & focus on the main topic that we need to find where this child is and get her returned to her parents.
While we all want to see her safely returned, the thread is a discussion about her abduction, and in particular (as per the first post) about how irresponsible her parents were. I very much doubt that any post in this thread is going to result in her being found.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...name_page.html

"An anonymous email has swept through Portugal calling for the "minute of hope". Yesterday there were plans to extend the silence to Britain.
The email reads: "Madeleine, Monday 12 o'clock - a national one minute's silence to raise consciousness about the disappearance. Pass on the message""

What exactly will this achieve? I honestly cannot see how a minute's silence is going to help. How, exactly, does keeping quiet for a minute "raise consciousness about the disappearance"?

"In Britain, celebrities touched by the disappearance have united in their support for the McCann family by wearing yellow ribbons."

Again, what practical way does this help to find the girl? All it says to me is that the "celebrity" wearing it is saying "Look at me. I'm such a nice, caring, supportive person. Please like me.", because, of course, those of us, not wearing yellow ribbons couldn't care less

I don't mean to sound flippant, but if "celebrities" want to help in a practical way, then all well & good. Wearing a tacky piece of yellow ribbon says more about the wearer's ego than their genuine concern.

Old 21-05-2007, 12:45   #393
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Sorry, but if you understand the concept between being, assertive, passive and aggressive, it should be known that you can only be one and not both. I have been assertive in this thread. I am standing up for my views, whilst allowing others to voice their views...
actually, just for your info, surprisingly, there is a term 'passive aggression'. so technically you can be passive and aggressive at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive...ssive_behavior

"The term "passive-aggressive" was first used by the U.S. military during World War II, when military psychiatrists noted the behavior of soldiers who displayed passive resistance and reluctant compliance to orders"
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 13:14   #394
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon View Post
actually, just for your info, surprisingly, there is a term 'passive aggression'. so technically you can be passive and aggressive at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive...ssive_behavior

"The term "passive-aggressive" was first used by the U.S. military during World War II, when military psychiatrists noted the behavior of soldiers who displayed passive resistance and reluctant compliance to orders"
That's a disorder usually attached to one who has problems with doing chores - However, the term used was assertive aggression, not passive aggression. If you are being assertive, you cannot be aggressive as well.

Anyway - this has no bearing at all on the topic.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 07:09   #395
zing_deleted

here ya go Mick me thinks your wrong
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/assertive

and I very happily quote point 1 Assertive .

1.confidently aggressive or self-assured; positive: aggressive; dogmatic: He is too assertive as a salesman.

I thank you very much
Old 23-05-2007, 08:59   #396
iglu
cf.addict

iglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
here ya go Mick me thinks your wrong
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/assertive

and I very happily quote point 1 Assertive .

1.confidently aggressive or self-assured; positive: aggressive; dogmatic: He is too assertive as a salesman.

I thank you very much
It has been done before....

iglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 20:22   #397
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I've had enough of this bickering...
Old 23-05-2007, 20:38   #398
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
I've had enough of this bickering...
Don't read it then ??? Unless you like to stir the pot of course.
Old 23-05-2007, 20:55   #399
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Can we please focus back on the topic. i.e. Madeleine McCann and not the semantics of people's posts.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 00:14   #400
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Despite my clear request to stop bickering and start discussing the topic I have had to start removing off topic posts.

Any more will be deleted and possibly formal warnings issued.
Old 31-05-2007, 11:39   #401
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

What are people's thoughts on the audience with the Pope? Is the pope really interested/concerned or is this some ploy by the Vatican to market themselves?
Also most people I work with are getting a bit 'fed up' of all he continuing media coverage. Does anyone think that this will eventually make people not care about Maddie being abducted?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 11:43   #402
zing_deleted

I think its ploy to keep in the media. At the end of the day they are doing the best they can to keep Maddie in peoples mind. Unfortunatly it does look like she is lost its very sad indeed but the general public has enough to worry about ,lets face it we are all subjected to stress in our own lives. I hope she is alive well and looked after somewhere but im thinking she wont be reunited with her family I hope and pray im wrong
Old 31-05-2007, 11:45   #403
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

I was surprised they didn't take their other kids with them. You would have thought after something like this you wouldn't have wanted to let them out of their sight.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 11:50   #404
Locky
Permanently Banned

Locky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
Jeesh

I wouldnt call 40yds alone, i really feel for the parents as should you all
ok then, would you do that ?

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
What are people's thoughts on the audience with the Pope? Is the pope really interested/concerned or is this some ploy by the Vatican to market themselves?
Also most people I work with are getting a bit 'fed up' of all he continuing media coverage. Does anyone think that this will eventually make people not care about Maddie being abducted?
the meeting with the pope, and yes the pope dont care vatican marketing themselves sounds about right
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 11:52   #405
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
I was surprised they didn't take their other kids with them. You would have thought after something like this you wouldn't have wanted to let them out of their sight.
Apparently they are being looked after by grandparents... But I know what you mean. Something is really unsettling about all of this... Everything from the start. I can't put my finger on it.