Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-04-2008, 12:43   #4006
3x2
Inactive

3x2 is on a distinguished road3x2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
1. RIPA provides a statutory framework for regulating the conduct of public authorities which may interfere with individuals’ right to respect for their private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights.

2. RIPA provides for lawful authority for intercepting communications but also provides for an offense of unlawful interception which any person, absolutely anyone, is able to commit.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...e_tap_charges/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6301243.stm

Quote:
3. The Home Office (outside of its immigration functions) is not an investigatory body. It is the role of the police to investigate allegations of unlawful interception.
While they may not be an investigatory body, do they not have any powers to instruct a force (Met) to look into the allegations? (and if not then who does?) At this stage it wouldn't have to be a full investigation, it could simply be an assessment of whether or not there are sufficient grounds for a full investigation. It just seems to me and many others that nobody wants to start the process. Everyone playing pass the parcel (ticking bomb).

Just sticking to the 06/07 trials here ...
  • Questioned about interception (RIPA) BT simply point to their compliance with the DPA? Mis-direction - RIPA (as far as I can see) says nothing about the purposes of the interception just that interception itself is an offense.
  • BT seem to believe that as long as we can't identify individual targets, times and dates (information only BT have) no action can be taken. Isn't this why we call it "investigation"? I'm sure the Police do not generally rely on potential offenders walking through the door clutching a list of offenses that they want confess to.
  • Only "a very small proportion" of customers were involved. How many does it take before it is a criminal act? One would be my guess. We may have 100,000+
  • Our legal advice was .... Since when was it the role of hired legal council to decide your status. They can try the defense on your behalf once you are in a Court.

Hence the frustration. There certainly seems to be something worth investigation here so when will somebody make a move?
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2008, 12:43   #4007
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

A reasonable article her from the Evening Standard. Read the first comment from a chap who is going to block all IPs belonging to BT,Virgin and TT !!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-up/article.do
Old 18-04-2008, 12:58   #4008
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

This below posted by badphormula on the badphorm site. It relates to the wiki nebuad entry. Certain terms are marked for deletion because google does not recognise them. The aim of the post is to help 'educate' google.
-----------------------------------------

Yes Phorm has a stablemate NebuAd. I noticed the description for NebuAd as intra-ISP spyware is proposed for deletion. That is intra-ISP spyware is proposed for deletion or "intra-ISP spyware" if you would like it in quotation marks. The reason for "intra-ISP spyware" deletion is that this search term is not picked up by Google, neither is the term i2spy. And therefore reference to "i2spy" is also proposed for deletion.

However for the more advanced Google searchers I think they will find the terms "i2spy" and "intra-ISP spyware" if they do a more specific search, such as below.

site:badphorm.co.uk "intra-ISP spyware"

If this result comes up blank don't worry, just try in a few days time after Google bots have had a chance to scan this thread. Therefore there will not be a need for the proposed deletion of "intra-ISP spyware" or "i2spy" because the good citizens of badphorm have kindly helped Google to find these appropriate search terms when refering to Phorm or its stablemate NebuAd.

Please feel free to mention these terms as many times as you like elsewhere on other forums and blogs so that Google comes to love these words.

"intra-ISP spyware"

"i2spy"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2Spy (proposed for deletion)
Old 18-04-2008, 13:36   #4009
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

Will be very interesting to see who is going to accept the liability on the T&C's on the very first Interception which is this jazzed up looking stop sign that kent keeps blabbing on about even though you have your hompage set to whatever.com.

Its like leaving for work in the morning and as you reach your front gate somebody is standing with a big question board (as in a street canvasser) you answer there questions then attempt to leave at that point your stripped, thrown around a bit sent down blind alleys then allowed to continue on your way (with a groundhog day effect continously in operation in the background) then on returning from wherever theres a tracking device implanted into your head, ready for the next attempt for you to leave your premises and rob you of everything you own even your own conscious.

If that conception dosent sound illegal to anyone you have to wonder .

Any isp thinking of such decisions could have real ramification on the future and claims against said isp, if phorm gives them the kit and it belongs to them isp's will be liable and phorm sneak off counting how much they made for ill adventure, if it did go ahead in uk laws whos to say that the eu couldnt assert authority over breach even though it has gone live.
Old 18-04-2008, 14:32   #4010
wecpc
Inactive

wecpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Why not email it to the home office aswell I can supply an email address for Simon who has been answering my emails about phorm. I have no asked for answers to two questions.

I hope this email will be enough to make the trials legality be checked first then those whoi were instigating the trials brought to justice for the customers who were used.
I have just taken your advice and emailed Simon at the Home Office as well. Lets see what happens now

Colin
Old 18-04-2008, 14:55   #4011
unicus
Inactive

unicus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just started to watch Kent's speech and I just burst out laughing. He quoted Dr Richard Clayton's statement as proof that they (Phorm) 'can't know who you are' saying it was in his (Richard's) words but Richard was saying what Phorm have said and is their arguement. Richard merely says they have some justification for arguing that point he doesn't say he agrees with it.

Before I watch any more I'm making sure I'm sitting well else I might hurt myself when I fall on the floor laughing.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:05   #4012
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Guys

Check this. its seems phorm are shitting it.

Posted here.

http://www.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread....3044&from=1387

Phorm - 18 Apr'08 - 12:09 - 1362 of 1396

Hello, This is Lynne Millar, CFO of Phorm. For some time now, there has been
a great deal of misinformation about the system which we are rolling out
with the UK’s three largest ISPs and what it actually does. That's not
surprising, because it is a complicated system. In an effort to engage with
those who have privacy concerns in particular, we have taken a number of
steps to correct any misinformation and better explain how the system works.
However, we have not to date engaged with the investment community on
bulletin boards such as this one. We will now begin to do so in the interest
of presenting a fair and accurate picture of where we stand. We will not be
introducing new information, simply correcting misperceptions by calling
attention to easily verifiable facts already in the public domain.

Here are the three main areas of misunderstanding:

1) Our three ISP partners have strongly reassured us that they are in
no way reconsidering their decision to deploy or are in any way reducing
their level of commitment to the project

2) All advertisers, agencies and UK publishers that we have a dialogue
with retain a strong interest in our project and eagerly await launch

3) We have taken substantial legal advice and are confident that we
satisfy all legal requirements that could threaten any aspect of our
business model, whether relating to the way the technology works or the way
in which it is deployed.

I will periodically be addressing questions as time permits but
members of our team will be stepping in as necessary to correct glaring
errors of fact.

We are more excited than ever about our project. We are convinced that
over the coming weeks and months, its full significance to the online
advertising industry will be understood in the wider market and the press
and our need for outreach in forums such as this will diminish.

Regards,

Lynne Millar, CFO
http://www.phorm.com/about/exec_millar.php
Old 18-04-2008, 15:11   #4013
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

I love the web...
Nov 2003: Data surveillance complaints have zero success rate
Simon Watkin of the Home Office told a Parliamentary meeting on Wednesday that the Investigatory Powers Tribunal -- which is made up of senior lawyers and judges -- had considered some 470 complaints from people who claimed they had been unfairly investigated under RIPA's powers, and had not upheld a single one...

Simon Davies, director of Privacy International, told Wednesday's meeting that these statutory instruments could cause a "privacy apocalypse" in the UK. He believes they amount to a "snoopers' charter" that may violate the European Convention on Human Rights.

Watkin, though, said that making more government agencies work within RIPA will actually tighten up privacy by establishing a proper code of conduct for public workers who want access to citizens' information."If the most junior of junior officials at the Trading Standards suspects me of a crime and wants to access my data, he can get it today. I'll be safer if he had to fill in a seven-page form and explain to a very senior manager why he wants that access," Watkin explained.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:15   #4014
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
members of our team will be stepping in as necessary to correct glaring
errors of fact.
Perhaps they've seen the PIA and it undermines their business model?

Old 18-04-2008, 15:16   #4015
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
2) All advertisers, agencies and UK publishers that we have a dialogue
with retain a strong interest in our project and eagerly await launch
So they ARE calling the Guardian liars :P
Old 18-04-2008, 15:17   #4016
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

More reasons to love the web
Protecting privacy and protecting the public
[Simon Watkins]All data should be protected by their service providers. The law requires all disclosure and investigation of communications data to be strictly necessary and appropriate in the specific circumstances – never more than is necessary and never inappropriate, arbitrary or discriminatory.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:17   #4017
Deko
Permanently Banned

Yuo should read the thread other Phorm IR team people are trying to reassure the shareholders.

if anyone else spots this on other investor sites please link from her.e
Old 18-04-2008, 15:24   #4018
fidbod
Inactive

fidbod is on a distinguished roadfidbod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Guys

Check this. its seems phorm are shitting it.
Not as much as they will be if if the FSA considers this type of action market abuse.

To be sure.... a politely worded email has already been sent to the FSA to make sure they are aware of this and asking them to investigate.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:27   #4019
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yuo should read the thread other Phorm IR team people are trying to reassure the shareholders.

if anyone else spots this on other investor sites please link from her.e
Where there is PR and spin please reply directing people to view the videos at http://tobymeres.net

Don't forget these are unedited footage from a public meeting - there were no requests for confidentiality, no requests for not filming - cameras were invited.

Looks like Phorm realise that we're serious.

Back to my e-mail to the Earl Of Northesk.
Old 18-04-2008, 15:31   #4020
Deko
Permanently Banned

Will do Capt'n
Closed Thread