Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 08-05-2013, 15:27   #3691
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
SuperHub 2 in router mode with wirelss on.

Do you think it is firmware you're using on it making your graph look normal compared to most other Superhub 2s?
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 15:39   #3692
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'm using the same firmware as several triallists. I cannot account for it.

But I point out again that max pings mean nothing if the average doesn't move. You could have tens of pings in a minute, all very low, but just one of them high that doesn't affect the average. But there's lots of yellow on the graph, of course.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:52   #3693
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My graph looks terrible like most other SH2 graphs but it doesn't seem to affect my connection in any way, can you explain that with your knowledge?

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Old 08-05-2013, 16:16   #3694
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Back in SH2 modem-only mode. The two blips are me caning the upstream.

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:19   #3695
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

@ Snoopz: I can't really explain it because it's just a graph viewed from a distance. But it seems that your own circuit was being used till at least 21:00 and possibly to 03:00. The rest of it till you pick up again at 15:00 today is the mystery.

If it's not usage on your node (unlikely overnight) then it's most like the SH2 doing things. If you've got firewall turned on, then it's doing stuff. I think VM are looking at this but not as a priority because it hasn't got on top of anyone yet.

That's the best I can offer.

Old 08-05-2013, 16:32   #3696
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
@ Snoopz: I can't really explain it because it's just a graph viewed from a distance. But it seems that your own circuit was being used till at least 21:00 and possibly to 03:00. The rest of it till you pick up again at 15:00 today is the mystery.

If it's not usage on your node (unlikely overnight) then it's most like the SH2 doing things. If you've got firewall turned on, then it's doing stuff. I think VM are looking at this but not as a priority because it hasn't got on top of anyone yet.

That's the best I can offer.
My only usage was normal browsing, i went to bed at 9pm and didn't touch the internet until 3pm today when i returned from work.

As soon as i started browsing at 3pm i get these huge yellow spikes.

It is definitely the SB2 as this is my regular graph with the SH1 in router mode.

I should try the SH2 in modem mode sometime and see if i get a similar graph as above.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:47   #3697
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
My graph looks terrible like most other SH2 graphs but it doesn't seem to affect my connection in any way, can you explain that with your knowledge?

I've seen this kinds of graphs before. My Work's connection (ADSL) looks quite similar (notice the difference from working hours and outside those hours) -

However the connection itself is incredibly stable. I looked into it and apparently this is normal for some routers, who deliberately keep the ICMP ping responses on the lowest priority (In this instance, it's a Draytek router doing it). Is it possible the SH2 is doing this as well? It would explain why the connection doesn't seem to be affected.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:52   #3698
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I tried my SH2 with firewall on & high setting - no difference to my graph.

Old 08-05-2013, 17:05   #3699
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I have just entered Modem mode and started a new TBB graph, i expect it to look like similar to my SH1 graph although i maybe suffering from a little packet loss issue the last few days, and it will be interesting to see if that goes away.

Edit

I am just getting a solid band of red on my new TBB graph, how can i avoid that in modem mode? Will it be a setting in my Comodo software firewall?
Old 08-05-2013, 17:21   #3700
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have just entered Modem mode and started a new TBB graph, i expect it to look like similar to my SH1 graph although i maybe suffering from a little packet loss issue the last few days, and it will be interesting to see if that goes away.

Edit

I am just getting a solid band of red on my new TBB graph, how can i avoid that in modem mode? Will it be a setting in my Comodo software firewall?
Whats connected to the modem? It will need to be set up to respond to ping requests.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 17:23   #3701
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Whats connected to the modem? It will need to be set up to respond to ping requests.
Superhub 2 - Modem Mode goes direct to a Windows 8 PC which is using Comodo software firewall, and i have no idea what setting to change in that and where to find it if it is the cause.

Edit

Comodo Firewall is now disabled and it is now working, but i don't want to leave it off so i need to find which setting to change in it.

Edit i have found the Echo setting in Comodo and TBB is currently populating, and it is looking pretty flat and stable and no packet loss either yet, although the yellow is higher than i was expecting compared to the SH1 results.

Old 08-05-2013, 19:32   #3702
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

It might be lower maximum latency if it went to a router between your PC and the SH2. The PC is a busy place.

That said, it was a no brainer that the TBB graph would look nice!

I'm no nearer knowing why my SH2 router mode graph looks better than your modem mode graph!

Old 08-05-2013, 19:44   #3703
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I will leave it in modem mode for 24hrs then put it back in router mode.

I am not happy the SH2 in router mode seems to be causing packet loss on the graph, assuming it is real of course, i just hope a firmware update improves things.
Old 08-05-2013, 20:15   #3704
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Superhub 2 in modem mode and still no upstream bonding

Old 08-05-2013, 21:34   #3705
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Seph: What wireless settings are you using? From my testing just changing the SSID's to be the same caused a massive amount of yellow in TBB graphs and mucking around with other settings caused varying levels of change.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote