Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who General Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who General Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2013, 17:34   #331
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Doctor Who : Season 7 & 50th Anniversary

Well I watched it, wasn't impressed

I can only hope that Peter Capaldi makes a better fist of it
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2013, 19:00   #332
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Moffat pulled a complete blinder with this, absolutely loved every minute of it
Old 24-11-2013, 19:23   #333
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The 3D was a lot better than I expected. Shame the BBC are abandoning it, though there probably aren't that many programmes that would benefit from it.

Oh yes, and the story was brilliant. Will have been too much for a lot of the Saturday xfactor/strictly audience as it would have required more than 10 seconds of concentration.
Old 24-11-2013, 21:12   #334
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Watched it today on catch-up - I thought it was outstanding.

Loved the humour, and the interplay between the Doctors.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-11-2013, 22:28   #335
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well 10.2 million watched it in the UK last night and it's won a Guinness world record for the worlds largest simulcast of a tv drama.
Old 25-11-2013, 14:04   #336
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Apparently Orla Brady (who played Walter's wife and Peter's mum on Fringe) is to play someone from the doctor's past in the christmas special.

Several people speculating (at least in the comments section ) that she could be playing Romana, or The Rani.

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Also, the mirror has a story that Matt Smith is actually the 13th doctor (apparently John Hurt's regeneration does count, and David Tennant is counted as both 11 and 12). Apparently the regeneration limit will be addressed in the Xmas episodes..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...s-matt-2847509
Old 25-11-2013, 14:19   #337
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I liked it - and oddly quite fancy Elisabeth
Old 25-11-2013, 14:36   #338
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Apparently Orla Brady (who played Walter's wife and Peter's mum on Fringe) is to play someone from the doctor's past in the christmas special.

Several people speculating (at least in the comments section ) that she could be playing Romana, or The Rani.

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Also, the mirror has a story that Matt Smith is actually the 13th doctor (apparently John Hurt's regeneration does count, and David Tennant is counted as both 11 and 12). Apparently the regeneration limit will be addressed in the Xmas episodes..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...s-matt-2847509
Some thoughts on the above ...

1. Speculating on a comeback for the Rani has become almost an in-joke in fandom. I would say the chances of it happening are remote. There are other far more interesting former adversaries that they could bring back.
2. Yes, Hurt does count, the General in the war room on Gallifrey counted him when he said "all 13 of them" were encircling the planet.
3. There has been an in-universe explanation for beating the 13-life limit since the 20th anniversary in 1983. The Master was offered a "whole new life cycle" in return for rescuing the Doctor from the Death Zone on Gallifrey. Whatever needs to be done, I would speculate, needs Time Lord medicine. That would tie in with the Doctor's new mission to "find Gallifrey". It might also be addressed by another trip to Karn; as we saw in the mini episode the other week, the sisterhood is pretty handy with Time Lord medicine.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Hmm ... If the Mirror's "source" knows what they're talking about, they're actually planning to artificially bring forward the regeneration "problem" to this Christmas, by saying David Tennant actually played two regenerations (after that business with the Daleks and his spare hand). If you add Hurt and Tennant-2 to the rest, then Smith is indeed the 13th and final face. So he's either going to find Gallifrey with indecent haste, or else the Moff has dreamed up something entirely different.
Old 25-11-2013, 14:53   #339
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Tried to watch on TiVo iPlayer on Saturday evening and it was unwatchable. Was OK at same time on tablet. Now recording on TiVo to watch later.
Old 25-11-2013, 15:21   #340
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Moffat pulled a complete blinder with this, absolutely loved every minute of it
stonking script superb acting great humour dramatic highs....

ten out of ten....

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Well I watched it, wasn't impressed

I can only hope that Peter Capaldi makes a better fist of it
Old 25-11-2013, 16:16   #341
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Some thoughts on the above ...

1. Speculating on a comeback for the Rani has become almost an in-joke in fandom. I would say the chances of it happening are remote. There are other far more interesting former adversaries that they could bring back.
2. Yes, Hurt does count, the General in the war room on Gallifrey counted him when he said "all 13 of them" were encircling the planet.
3. There has been an in-universe explanation for beating the 13-life limit since the 20th anniversary in 1983. The Master was offered a "whole new life cycle" in return for rescuing the Doctor from the Death Zone on Gallifrey. Whatever needs to be done, I would speculate, needs Time Lord medicine. That would tie in with the Doctor's new mission to "find Gallifrey". It might also be addressed by another trip to Karn; as we saw in the mini episode the other week, the sisterhood is pretty handy with Time Lord medicine.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Hmm ... If the Mirror's "source" knows what they're talking about, they're actually planning to artificially bring forward the regeneration "problem" to this Christmas, by saying David Tennant actually played two regenerations (after that business with the Daleks and his spare hand). If you add Hurt and Tennant-2 to the rest, then Smith is indeed the 13th and final face. So he's either going to find Gallifrey with indecent haste, or else the Moff has dreamed up something entirely different.

Actually you are right, and I did think of the reset the regenerations thing in the Five Doctors. After all, if they are willing to give The Master a whole new set of regenerations for merely saving the Doctor, what would the Timelords give to the Doctor for saving their entire civilisation?

As for the speculation about who Orla Brady is playing, it is just that: speculation. Personally, I'd far rather see Romana back in some form or another (after all, she is a time lady and in many ways, superior to the Doctor) than the Rani. Mind you, it might be interesting to have an evil Time Lady. Maybe they could make it Romana and say she was turned evil by her experiences in e-space, or the time war (assuming that any Gallifreyan other than the Doctor is left with any memory of the time war)?
Old 25-11-2013, 16:31   #342
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I think RTD has also implicitly dealt with the regeneration limit by bringing back the Master, who regenerated in the normal way, rather than body snatching as we saw him do previously. Perhaps he got his new regeneration cycle in return for joining the Time War.

On that subject, if the Doctor does find Gallifrey, that's where the Master currently is ...
Old 25-11-2013, 22:01   #343
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I watched it tonight and I very much enjoyed it, I think it was a shame the Chris Eccleston wasn't involved and I thought Tom Bakers appearance unnecessary.

But very good, I did enjoy Capaldi's cameo.

And in regards to regenerations, and the double Tennant.

When the general says "all twelve of them" and someone says " no sir all thirteen" that's when you see Capaldi's face.

So that would suggest to me that Capaldi is 13.

And the Mirror story is wrong.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Sorry, just correct myself.

I understand now that there is no argument that Capaldi is no.13.

Just that to get there there needs to be 13 regenerations, which is one more than he has.

I see now, yes I think it's best they address it now. Will be interesting to see how it's done.

I don't like the idea of being 'granted' extra regens. I would hope it's something a bit more biological.
Old 25-11-2013, 23:12   #344
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I watched it tonight and I very much enjoyed it, I think it was a shame the Chris Eccleston wasn't involved and I thought Tom Bakers appearance unnecessary.

But very good, I did enjoy Capaldi's cameo.

And in regards to regenerations, and the double Tennant.

When the general says "all twelve of them" and someone says " no sir all thirteen" that's when you see Capaldi's face.

So that would suggest to me that Capaldi is 13.

And the Mirror story is wrong.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Sorry, just correct myself.

I understand now that there is no argument that Capaldi is no.13.

Just that to get there there needs to be 13 regenerations, which is one more than he has.

I see now, yes I think it's best they address it now. Will be interesting to see how it's done.

I don't like the idea of being 'granted' extra regens. I would hope it's something a bit more biological.
Shouldn't that be 12 regenerations. As there are 13 Doctors but the second Doctor was the first actual 'regeneration'.

Capaldi will be the 13th Doctor but the 12th Regeneration.
Old 25-11-2013, 23:28   #345
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

12 generations 13 lives. Yes.

But what is being proposed in the earlier posts is that Tennant the tenth, but actually the 11 th doctor used up 2 regens.

Which means that Smith, the 12 incarnation actually came into being on the 12th regen.

We know that Capaldi is the 13th as it that made clear on the Saturday.

Which means to get to Capaldi, if we say that tennants second regen into himself was an actual regen, we need to magic a regen out of something.