Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.
Closed Thread

Old 25-07-2012, 16:58   #316
ZiQi
Inactive

ZiQi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

Can't we get rid of the +1 channels, add some of the channels you can get on satellite. Why not switch HD channels to MPEG4 get rid of the V+ boxes that don't handle MPEG4
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2012, 17:00   #317
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiQi View Post
get rid of the V+ boxes that don't handle MPEG4
Any Idea how many V+ boxes are out there
Old 25-07-2012, 17:16   #318
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiQi View Post
Can't we get rid of the +1 channels,
They can be usefull at times.
Old 25-07-2012, 17:25   #319
ZiQi
Inactive

ZiQi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Any Idea how many V+ boxes are out there
LOL Dunno (not read up lately), VM should have gone with the xNTL boxes and not the xTW boxes.

The V+ boxes were clunky and awkward, saying that the TiVo is a pain at times and I've wanted to through that out the window too.

They could just add some of the channels for now that are FTA on satellite on the MPEG4 capable boxes only.

Switch all the HD Sports and Movies to MPEG4 and those who have V+ and the Sports and/or Movies get swapped over to a TiVo.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Occasionally, but usually the programme is on again, if you haven't managed to record it or it's not on catchup.

Just find them a waste of space myself.
Old 25-07-2012, 18:01   #320
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I must confess that l find it hard to believe that they have 'suddenly found' all these channels to broadcast the Olympics.

Yet Once the games are over, they will disappear.

And to me if they can broadcast ALL the events at the games, then they can show ALL the events in the para Olympics.
Old 25-07-2012, 18:11   #321
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quick question?

Why are they called the PARA-OLYMPICS?

I know but do you?
Old 25-07-2012, 19:00   #322
VirginMediaPhil
cf.addict

Services: 2x TiVo
VirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Quick question?

Why are they called the PARA-OLYMPICS?

I know but do you?
You mean Paralympics, not Para-Olympics.

I actually researched this the other week, so I'm not one of those people who just saw your post and Googled it. But I did Google it last week

From the almighty and definitely always accurate Wikipedia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The present formal explanation for the name "Paralympic" is that it derives from the Greek preposition παρά, pará ("beside" or "alongside") and thus refers to a competition held in parallel with the Olympic Games.[4] The Summer Games of 1988 held in Seoul was the first time the term "Paralympic" came into official use.
Old 25-07-2012, 19:21   #323
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil View Post
You mean Paralympics, not Para-Olympics.

I actually researched this the other week, so I'm not one of those people who just saw your post and Googled it. But I did Google it last week

From the almighty and definitely always accurate Wikipedia...
Yes you are correct and thanks for the english lesson

10 points for you
Old 25-07-2012, 20:22   #324
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
from Channel4 website

"In addition, Channel 4 will broadcast three further streams of uninterrupted live coverage of a range of sports at the Paralympic Games. These will be available as three dedicated channels on the Sky platform, in both standard and high definition, as well as online at Channel4.com - with the streams also expected to launch on Virgin Media"

Surely that answers the question?
Unfortunately it doesn't, because it doesn't confirm that the C4 streams will definitely be carried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
The DDA is irrelevant here, Stephen's analysis is correct. The suggestion that Virgin would not carry these streams for reasons of bigotry is not only ridiculous it's offensive. I am, however, sure that they'll arrive.
I have no idea of the reasons why VM wouldn't carry them (if indeed this turns out to be the case.) It may be institutionalised disability discrimination as opposed to something deliberate or something else entirely.

The offense that you say you feel is nothing compared to the offense that many people would feel if the efforts of disabled people are sidelined or treated with contempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Two points -

Are VM showing these streams? It would appear so, and let's hope they do.

If they don't, is this discrimination under the DDA? No, it isn't (I checked with our Disability Services and Equality & Diversity teams).
Your employers' advisory team will probably know more about how the act affects the workplace, rather than society as a whole. I disagree with the advice that they gave you.

Rather than go round in circles and take this thread unreasonably off topic, I suggest that we wait to see if the streams appear. If they do- great. If they don't- I will refer the matter to the appropriate regulatory bodies who will make independent rulings, regardless of what I or others in this thread think.
Old 25-07-2012, 20:29   #325
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I have no idea of the reasons why VM wouldn't carry them (if indeed this turns out to be the case.) It may be institutionalised disability discrimination as opposed to something deliberate or something else entirely.
Like all channels that Virgin carry most likely down to carriage costs and if VM believe the viewing figures will add value to their service

Its won't have anything to be with discrimination, apart from channels 1 to 5 there is no rules to say that they have to carry everything broadcast
Old 25-07-2012, 21:17   #326
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Less so if everyone had Tivo though

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Quote:
If they don't- I will refer the matter to the appropriate regulatory bodies who will make independent rulings, regardless of what I or others in this thread think.
At which point we will hear nothing more about it as they laugh your complaint out of the room
Old 25-07-2012, 23:57   #327
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Institutionalised disability discrimination? Seriously? Think I've pretty much heard everything now. If you think this has anything to do with the DDA then you could simply resolve the matter by listing the relevant parts. You won't, because you're wrong, three people have told you so and what's more you know it. In addition, Carl is quite correct-any frivolous complaint you make will fail because there are simply no grounds to make it. In the meantime, the Paralympics will be a fantastic event. I had the privilege of spending some time with the Irish Paralympic cycling team at the test event, and I have no doubt that we are in for a feast of world class sport. Economics and public interest will decide how this sport is covered, not discrimination, but I am sure that the current stable of channel 4 channels along with another 3 set to launch and the channel 4 Paralympic website will ensure that these athletes' achievements will be viewed by the largest possible audience. Nothing even remotely discriminatory about that.
Old 26-07-2012, 08:17   #328
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Unfortunately it doesn't, because it doesn't confirm that the C4 streams will definitely be carried.

The offense that you say you feel is nothing compared to the offense that many people would feel if the efforts of disabled people are sidelined or treated with contempt.

Your employers' advisory team will probably know more about how the act affects the workplace, rather than society as a whole. I disagree with the advice that they gave you.

Rather than go round in circles and take this thread unreasonably off topic, I suggest that we wait to see if the streams appear. If they do- great. If they don't- I will refer the matter to the appropriate regulatory bodies who will make independent rulings, regardless of what I or others in this thread think.
Even for you, that's an offensive interpretation.

If you believe it to be true, put your money where your mouth is, and report VM to the EHRC - here are the contact details.
Quote:
Phone numbers and addresses

England
0845 604 6610 - England main number
0845 604 6620 - England textphone
0845 604 6630 - England fax

Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm

Equality and Human Rights Commission Helpline
Freepost RRLL-GHUX-CTRX
Arndale House
Arndale Centre
Manchester
M4 3AQ

Email: englandhelpline@equalityhumanrights.com
We look forward to hearing what they said......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 26-07-2012, 08:51   #329
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

[QUOTE=carlwaring;35456468]Less so if everyone had Tivo though

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

It is easier & quicker to use +1 .No matter what box you use ( & I use both) More so if you are following a series on a week by week basis & a "one off " cuts across it.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:58   #330
bewdley
Inactive

bewdley is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Institutionalised disability discrimination? Seriously? Think I've pretty much heard everything now. If you think this has anything to do with the DDA then you could simply resolve the matter by listing the relevant parts. You won't, because you're wrong, three people have told you so and what's more you know it. In addition, Carl is quite correct-any frivolous complaint you make will fail because there are simply no grounds to make it. In the meantime, the Paralympics will be a fantastic event. I had the privilege of spending some time with the Irish Paralympic cycling team at the test event, and I have no doubt that we are in for a feast of world class sport. Economics and public interest will decide how this sport is covered, not discrimination, but I am sure that the current stable of channel 4 channels along with another 3 set to launch and the channel 4 Paralympic website will ensure that these athletes' achievements will be viewed by the largest possible audience. Nothing even remotely discriminatory about that.
As a disabled person i see both points but i do think it is discrimination
againidt people with disabled people, the achievements of the atheltes
are unable to be seen by other disabled people who can not get to the
games .i realise about the economics , but i think public interest is greater
than most people think. if virgin had not carried the olympic streams there
whould have been a huge outcry, i have been involed with a few charites
for the disabled at local a regional level, and this is a very close one about
discrimination it would make a very interesting test case if anyone where to take it up.
Closed Thread