Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | life on mars

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

life on mars

Old 28-07-2008, 14:54   #316
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: life on mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
If they are not careful, setting it in NY and the tweaks to the format you could end up with another New Amsterdam.
I kind of liked New Amsterdam :/

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2008, 15:31   #317
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
I kind of liked New Amsterdam :/
So did I but it ended totally abrubtly. I wish when they did that they published the future scripts
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 14:41   #318
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Hmmm, the first proper episode of the US version is now out. It is a lot better than the pilot, I think I'll give it a few more episodes before giving my opinions on it.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 15:04   #319
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Hmmm, the first proper episode of the US version is now out. It is a lot better than the pilot, I think I'll give it a few more episodes before giving my opinions on it.
Wow - your fast - I didn't even have to go find it - it came to my TV in lovely HD.
Yes the first proper episode is now out. The lead Jason O'Mara reminds me of a young Mel Gibson and I think the characters need a couple more episodes to grow into their roles (or maybe I am used to seeing John Simm play the role) but it was a good opener and pretty faithful to the original script.
The NYC location plays well and the nice use of the twin towers. Timing wise this actually works (compared to the slight twist of time in the UK one) as the towers were completed in 1972 and ribbon cut in April 1973.
Gonna keep watching but my damn DVR chopped the end of it - grrr.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:50   #320
SMHarman
Inactive

Thinking more about this now I have seen it in a less sleepy state. Sam has the same sort of awareness as Alex Drake did in Ashes. It could work - it did in Ashes.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:47   #321
supremus
cf.geek

supremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation era

Hmm, not sure about Life on Mars US. They seem to have created a more authentic, well populated 1970s, but the fun and warmth seems to be missing, not just from the environment, but also from the characters. Keitel is a fine actor, but Glenister's Gene Hunt was an instant classic, and on first impressions, there's no real comparison the two. The guy playing Sam is kind of wooden, and although he seems less smarmy than John Simms, he doesn't really have much chemistry with either Keitel or Gretchen Mol, and in almost every scene, I kept thinking the guy from Journeyman would have been much better in the role. The only character that really caught my attention was The Sopranos' Michael Imperioli, and it was kind of nice to see Lisa Bonet back on TV as well.

I thought it was disappointing how closely the pilot followed the UK version, and as a result made many of the same mistakes, and even found room for some new ones. They rushed the setup, and the opening car sequence looked cheap and felt forced, which might not have seemed too important in the grand scheme of things, but it gave a bad first impression. They were sensible enough to cut the mind-numbingly stupid rooftop scene, although, it did serve the purpose of setting up the ending of the UK series, so hopefully this means future episodes will start to take a different route. The Office US was also off to a comparatively weak start, but eventually managed to not only match, but completely surpass the UK version, and certainly in terms of plot, that shouldn't be too hard for Life on Mars, but I do have my concerns about the characters.

First impressions: A resounding "meh".
supremus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 14:40   #322
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremus View Post
I thought it was disappointing how closely the pilot followed the UK version, and as a result made many of the same mistakes, and even found room for some new ones. They rushed the setup, and the opening car sequence looked cheap and felt forced, which might not have seemed too important in the grand scheme of things, but it gave a bad first impression. They were sensible enough to cut the mind-numbingly stupid rooftop scene, although, it did serve the purpose of setting up the ending of the UK series, so hopefully this means future episodes will start to take a different route. The Office US was also off to a comparatively weak start, but eventually managed to not only match, but completely surpass the UK version, and certainly in terms of plot, that shouldn't be too hard for Life on Mars, but I do have my concerns about the characters.

First impressions: A resounding "meh".
I read something a couple of days ago (no idea the source) that said it will, Office style, take a different route going forward. Wait and see...
Old 17-10-2008, 19:50   #323
cimt

The second episode also is like the second episode of the UK version. 5 of them run out of a swimming pool, wearing nothing but swimming trunks etc.
Old 21-10-2008, 23:10   #324
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

wonder who will pick up the uk right's for the us LOM bet it's itv 3 or 4
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 14:00   #325
supremus
cf.geek

supremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation era

The second episode was not an improvement, once again following the original much too closely, and making more or less all the same mistakes.

It's funny, as crap as the British version was, it was still some of the best stuff you could hope to catch on British TV, but this is so far below the standards of US TV, you've gotta wonder how long they'll put up with this charmless, banal, heavy-handed crap. Maybe the 40% drop in ratings this week at least partly answers that question?
supremus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43   #326
cimt

ABC has cancelled this after just one season which will end at 17 episodes.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a14...ne-season.html

Bloody hell, ABC will have no more shows left by May time.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:49   #327
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

watched this the first time round 2yr's ago i enjoyed it but did not like the other one they did with a woman copper
Old 02-04-2009, 12:54   #328
cimt

Wow, I couldn't think of an ending that was more different to the original.
Old 02-04-2009, 13:06   #329
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Are you talking about the American remake? How did they end it?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 13:12   #330
cimt

Spoiler: 
He woke up in a space shuttle in a pod. The other people woke up and it ended up being the people he worked with. He was living this life because they went into a meotre shower which I'm sure knocked him uncosious. The kicker? The year is 2035 and Barack Obama's daughter is President.

Some of it may be wrong.