Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?
View Poll Results: Smart Meter Yae or Nae
Yes 19 43.18%
No 20 45.45%
Undecided 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-06-2024, 11:38   #301
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

Snoopz.
I cant find the graph you mentioned only one showing the daily tariff changes. I can change the dates in the My Savings section to get the start date as May and then add the savings for June. So I can compare a straight month or do a little math and get a more accurate comparison to what I would have paid if I were still on SVT.
My heads still a tad fuzzy after a birthday drink last night so none of the above may any make sense. Sorry
Old 13-06-2024, 11:49   #302
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Snoopz.
I cant find the graph you mentioned only one showing the daily tariff changes. I can change the dates in the My Savings section to get the start date as May and then add the savings for June. So I can compare a straight month or do a little math and get a more accurate comparison to what I would have paid if I were still on SVT.
My heads still a tad fuzzy after a birthday drink last night so none of the above may any make sense. Sorry
Which Graph are we talking about? All the maths compared to my bill from the My Savings image is spot on give or take a few pence, if you click on the bars it'll give you the saving per month in my image or the total savings since going onto the Tracker on the right of the image.

My Savings

Data Checker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240613_114200_Vivaldi.jpg (106.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240613_114236_Vivaldi.jpg (138.1 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by SnoopZ; 13-06-2024 at 11:53.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 12:10   #303
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

You swapped in April which means you now have a 3 months showing. I have May and June which is right for me, I can go into the daily breakdown which for May correctly shows savings from the 5th when I went over to the Tracker pricing. When I get my first correct bill next month when I should get a credit for being charged the SVT I can compare the correct dates and get a more accurate idea of my savings. As long as I am saving something I will be satisfied.

On the missing data checker I have none showing which shows that Octopus have sorted out the missing data days but I have to say I have far less darker than base level squares than you have on yours. Can I grin?
Old 13-06-2024, 12:15   #304
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You swapped in April which means you now have a 3 months showing. I have May and June which is right for me, I can go into the daily breakdown which for May correctly shows savings from the 5th when I went over to the Tracker pricing. When I get my first correct bill next month when I should get a credit for being charged the SVT I can compare the correct dates and get a more accurate idea of my savings. As long as I am saving something I will be satisfied.

On the missing data checker I have none showing which shows that Octopus have sorted out the missing data days but I have to say I have far less darker than base level squares than you have on yours. Can I grin?
I'm not sure why you would get a credit? When I switched over they billed me on the old Tariff up until I went on the Tracker, then another bill from the Tracker start date, is that not what happened to you?

Edit
It may have been the same bill but it's all listed separately.
Old 13-06-2024, 14:25   #305
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'm not sure why you would get a credit? When I switched over they billed me on the old Tariff up until I went on the Tracker, then another bill from the Tracker start date, is that not what happened to you?

Edit
It may have been the same bill but it's all listed separately.
I did have a split bill before the last one which showed the correct Tracker start date so why the correct details for the following bill weren't used I don't know. It was only when I looked at my meter reading history that I realised readings were missing, and as a bill was due out, I phoned them up. I was told that as an estimated bill had been generated any overpayment using the correct reading would be credited on the next bill which will be due at the beginning of July.

The bill with an estimated SVT rate for both Electricity and Gas, arrived the next day.

They have sorted everything out and have added the correct readings with my account and the Octoprice site are now showing a the correct Tracker start date. My Balance history is showing a credit and the next bill will be for a month at the new rates less that credit so if I add back the credit I will should have the true overall amount I have been billed for that period.

What happened was a "total cockup with an attempted correction making things even worse" said the nice lady Octopus.

I'm almost past caring now. Shades of .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1dvAxA9ib0
Old 13-06-2024, 18:06   #306
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well Octopus have now cancelled my duplicate appointment (they booked me for the 27th, and 28th).
So it should now go ahead on 27th June (in the afternoon).

In the meantime, OVO screwed up the meter readings they sent Octopus, swapping Night & Day.
I rang Octo support, they took a look and quickly agreed it was a cock-up, and have "raised a dispute" with OVO.

Switching is such fun.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 20:14   #307
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well Octopus have now cancelled my duplicate appointment (they booked me for the 27th, and 28th).
So it should now go ahead on 27th June (in the afternoon).

In the meantime, OVO screwed up the meter readings they sent Octopus, swapping Night & Day.
I rang Octo support, they took a look and quickly agreed it was a cock-up, and have "raised a dispute" with OVO.

Switching is such fun.
And after all that hassle I hope your smart meters are able to send readings ok or it's more chaos.
Old 14-06-2024, 11:35   #308
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:

The bright red squares will be the times I turn on the oven which changes depending whether I'm working a late or early shift each week. The Orange will be my addiction to Dave the Diver game on my Playstation 5, so that'll be the TV and PS5 on for long hours, however my Electricity bill is still peanuts(£42 for May) compared to other people's.
Old 14-06-2024, 16:43   #309
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

All you here are they break down often, I prefer to read m6 own meter
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 17:35   #310
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Mines never not worked. Occasionally a small delay in it updating but only a day or two.
Old 14-06-2024, 17:42   #311
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
You can read your own smart meter if you want.

AFAIK, mechanical meters are no longer made, or at least rare now, so eventually all the existing ones will get replaced.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 17:47   #312
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I was against getting smart meters but now I think in my experience there is no negative only positives and definitely saves money with being on the Tracker Tariff, I'm averaging around 19p/kWh instead of the regular 25.25p.
Old 14-06-2024, 18:18   #313
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I was against getting smart meters but now I think in my experience there is no negative only positives and definitely saves money with being on the Tracker Tariff, I'm averaging around 19p/kWh instead of the regular 25.25p.
I have had smart meters for years now and they have always worked. As for the tracker tariff it has saved me a small fortune as i am a heavy user of electric. I was going to move to Agile but i am still not 100% sure it is best for me at this time.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 19:44   #314
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I have had smart meters for years now and they have always worked. As for the tracker tariff it has saved me a small fortune as i am a heavy user of electric. I was going to move to Agile but i am still not 100% sure it is best for me at this time.
Once we get our smart meters installed I may come and ask you for some help if that’s ok. When we moved to octopus they said our electric usage was double of what they would class a heavy user.

Having been with octopus now for three months we’ve already saved over £300 vs being on Scottish power and that’s just on the fixed rate tariff
Old 14-06-2024, 19:55   #315
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
If you set your octopus settings to every 30min, I think you can then load the data into various tools that will compare the tariffs for you.