Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Modems and Routers left plugged in?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Modems and Routers left plugged in?

Old 30-11-2006, 16:53   #16
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Modems and Routers left plugged in?

I leave my comp stb and router on 24/7
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2006, 17:03   #17
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I turn both my router and modem off as it is a waste of electricity.

I am thinking of buying some timers that will switch them on automatically when I need them.
eg. Timer 1 will switch on the modem at 7.50am and then timer 2 will turn on the router at 7.55am so everything is on when it needs to be and switch off automatically when I need them to.
Have you calculated the pay-back time before the time switches are paid for ?
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 13:02   #18
bringerofnoise
Inactive

Services: 3meg bb + family pack
bringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about them

i turn my pc modem router off every night just because of fire risk
bringerofnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 13:31   #19
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

My PC and Router are in my bedroom so I'd soon notice
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 15:08   #20
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I leave my wireless router and modem on 24/7 but a couple of months ago my router had smoke coming out of it! It was 3 years old so the warranty had expired but I emailed Linksys anyway and they replaced it free of charge!

Nikesh
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 15:35   #21
chrisann
Inactive

chrisann is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it does seem that we all have differing opinions on this subject..but I do switch off the comp at night..I don't leave it on...as for the Laptop..I thought that might get a bit too warm if left on for too long...not had one long so not too sure on that one really..and at the moment using it plugged in anyway...to be near to cable if I need to plug in the internet.

But great to get all the feedback from everyone...Thanks...

Chrisann.
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 14:51   #22
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Power usage for a modem and router is insignificant. It would cost you a few pence week to run them. As for them being a fire risk, Ive never heard of a router/modem burning a house down. I agree with the guy who says about turning them on and off stresses them. If they stay at a constant temperature (which the pretty much do when they're on) the components wont be stressed as much. Hot to cold to hot and so on stresses them.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 16:17   #23
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I turn mine off at the wall every night - again because it's wasted leccy and the possible fire risk. However it does get left on overnight sometimes if I'm downloading stuff!
Old 03-12-2006, 16:27   #24
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

i leave my Router on pretty much 24/7 only time i tend to turn it off is to reboot it if its locked up.

But then i swear we have people in this house who are still on the internet at 3am
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 16:06   #25
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
Do you leave the Modem and th Router plugged in 24 / 7. My Linksys Router sisits atop a shelf and it does get warm. I have been turning everything off at night..as I do the computer. But each day I have to keep unplugging the Router from the elec. supply to get it to connect. Would it be better to leave it always on.

Also I have it plugged into a Surgemaster at present. Is this correct or would I be o.k. with just an ordinary plug etc.

Thankyou. Chrisann.
yes, my modem hasnt been turned off for more than a week in over 6 years of use
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote