Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Re-Usable Water

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Re-Usable Water

Old 04-03-2012, 17:40   #16
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Re: Re-Usable Water

Having looked at the process involved in collecting rain water to use as drinking water, I have found that the comments here suggest it's unsafe, however people are using a system for drinking water using various filtration techniques such as using a ceramic filter, and a 1st flow system.

the comments so far have put me off drinking any water from such a system, however it's not put me off at least making a "Rainwater Collection System" which I could then filter through a "Slow Sand Filter", Which would make the water 110% safe.

I was thinking of maybe using a general rain collection system which would also use a ceramic filter, and then have the tank distribute the water into a sand filter, and finally into a sealed tank for drinking.

I don't plan on making this my main source of water, like i said, I just wanted to make it for general purpose, but most of all I like to challenge myself to see if I can do it. It would be nice to actually make this work and have an alternative supply of fresh water that is drinkable.

I will see how it goes with what iv learned so far, and update at a future date, unless i end up with typhoid, in which case.......its been nice knowing you all.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 17:56   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Slow sand will not make water 110% safe and will only reduce bacteria content by 90-99% if properly managed, they're designed for clean water sources (rivers, reservoirs where the bacteria content is already low.) If it's the only option then it is one of the best systems but as you have a known good clean system I wouldn't recommend slow sand for treating contaminated rain water for drinking purposes..

If you're that worried about water usage then bathwater to flush toilets (or newer low flush systems), water butts for garden usage and a in-house water meter to gauge water usage are good starting points
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:09   #18
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

I kept chickens for many years which drank water collected off the roof of the shed and it never did them any harm.... humans are too fussy these days.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 21:17   #19
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
I kept chickens for many years which drank water collected off the roof of the shed and it never did them any harm.... humans are too fussy these days.
I agree ,we have become far too dependant on pure water a bit of cholera and dysentery never hurt anyone
Old 06-03-2012, 13:07   #20
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Interesting fact is that we are drinking the same water dinosaurs drank and peed!
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote