Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Hub

Old 16-01-2011, 09:51   #16
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: New Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystheboy View Post

how can I find out if they have uped my speed to 20Mb thanks again
Click here http://192.168.100.1/ login using the word root for the username and password and then click on Operation Config. and look for Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000 as that is 20Mb.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2011, 00:38   #17
roystheboy
Inactive

Services: broadband phone and virgin XL tv package
roystheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great sorry for the late reply ,I should uninstall the Netgear Router that is on my P.C. at the moment be for this Hub comes from Virgin shouldnt I ,thanks again for your help ill give you a shout when it comes take care best regards

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:07 ----------

Hi I have had a look on how to uninstall the netgear but not sure how to get rid of it compleatly because the drivers need to go as well dont they cheers thanks again take care
roystheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 00:02   #18
roystheboy
Inactive

O.K. guys I have received my new Hubb today there was no Wireless adaptar in the box so I rang customer service up and they said that they would get one in the post for me today ,cant fault them the hub looks really nice I am wel pleased ,just got to get it all connected when this adaptar comes ill let you all know whats next cheers take care best regards
Old 19-01-2011, 09:57   #19
roystheboy
Inactive

Hello Masque how you doing mate I got a little problem about this hub if I connect it up to my P.C. with an eathernet cable all should be fine ,but will it connect to my grandchildrens laptops when they come down wirelessly ,would it work both ways my P.C. and there laptops together hope you can help cheers take care best regards
Old 19-01-2011, 13:35   #20
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Hello Masque how you doing mate I got a little problem about this hub if I connect it up to my P.C. with an eathernet cable all should be fine ,but will it connect to my grandchildrens laptops when they come down wirelessly ,would it work both ways my P.C. and there laptops together hope you can help cheers take care best regards
Yes it'll work providing you provide them with the correct network key to get access to your router /internet.
Old 19-01-2011, 15:54   #21
roystheboy
Inactive

thanks a lot ,would it work like this if I used the Wireless connection with the USB adaptar to make my P.C. wireless could I put an earthenet cable in the Hub to a second P.C. would that P.C. work, I am so confused dont really know what to do, I would really like to run my P.C. wireless and a second P.C. in another room, thanks again take care best regards .
Old 19-01-2011, 15:56   #22
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Wireless and wired connections will work independently from each other, so yes: you can use (normally 4) wired machines as well as a number of wireless machines at the same time.
Old 19-01-2011, 20:12   #23
roystheboy
Inactive

Well thats great ,this is what I want to do I got my new Hub downstairs with an eartenet cable going to a P.C. downstairs ,can I use my main P.C. upstairs wirelessly with a USB adapar in it from the Hub downstairs thats what I need to do will that be O.K. cheers take care best regards
Old 19-01-2011, 20:29   #24
LSainsbury

How old is your house?
Old 19-01-2011, 21:04   #25
roystheboy
Inactive

why does that matter its about 60 to 70 years old cheers take care

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Hi when i get this USB adaptar and set it all up I still can use my original E Mail address and password can I ,I dont have to change them do I thanks again take care best regards
Old 19-01-2011, 21:06   #26
LSainsbury

Quote:
why does that matter its about 60 to 70 years old cheers take care

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Hi when i get this USB adaptar and set it all up I still can use my original E Mail address and password can I ,I dont have to change them do I thanks again take care best regards

So it might have nice thick internal brick walls - which degrade wireless signals. But you'll just have to try it and see.

No you won't need to change them - you can use your current mail addresses.
Old 20-01-2011, 00:19   #27
roystheboy
Inactive

Hi no the wals are not that thick the Hub is practically directly under the P.C. so its ony the ceiling in the way thanks again for your help cheers take care best regards .

---------- Post added 20-01-2011 at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was 19-01-2011 at 23:23 ----------

Hi is this Hub any good because I have herd some bad reports about it ,I am not very technically minded so i wouldnt know what to do if it wasnt working properly ,why so many complaints about it surely it cant be that bad thanks again take care best regards.
Old 20-01-2011, 16:07   #28
roystheboy
Inactive

Hi Just got my USB adapar just plucking up courage now to Install the Hub and adaptar any advice would be great thanks take care best regards
Old 20-01-2011, 16:45   #29
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

First connect a machine using ethernet cable and focus on getting that to work (reboot the hub and computer). Do not start faffing about with the wireless until the wired connection works. Once you've achieved the wired connection you can always post here to ask questions about the wifi and security etc.
Old 20-01-2011, 19:03   #30
roystheboy
Inactive

thats really good advice but thats going to be a problem because my P.C.is upstairs and the Hub is downstairs havnt got the earthenet cable long enough ,coulnt i just go for the wireless connection first as last with your help it should be O.K. shouldnt it thanks again cheers take care best regards .