Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | general wireless setup queries, please advise

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

general wireless setup queries, please advise

Old 23-09-2006, 13:40   #16
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: general wireless setup queries, please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyandandy View Post
Top man matt )

Last night i changed the ssid and also turned on the encryption system with no probs

I tried the usb dongle on the laptop but it still only connected at 54mbps and im not sure why?? will it only go to 108mbps if i file share? for example the internet connection does not need more tha 54mbps so the envelope isnt stretched until needed??

I have unloaded the usb dongle now anyway as i figured that the integrated card in the laptop was fine so why have a big lump of plastic sticking out the laptop for no benefit (obviousley i may not get the advertised 300meter range with the standard card? but i cant see me ever needing it?)

one query i have though, will that dongle only work with a netgear router?? or would it be able to find a public connection, for example in mcdonalds, like the integrated can??, this is the only instance where increased range would be a benefit??

I ran the home network wizard for both desktop and laptop computers. The desktop was fine and works, the laptop flashes up a message that a network cable is unplugged for the ethernet card.

I chose to ignore and continue wizard - the laptop cant be found on network and i cant access the shared folder any ideas?? it seems to me that the laptop is trying to connect via ethernet cable/card rather than wifi.

I also set up the psp last night, for some reason it would only work now that i have enabled wep and changed the ssid - it works now anyway so no worries

final question Im going to spend a week in a travel inn for a work thing in london. Travel inn said they ahve wireless in the rooms but its £3 per 30mins! I think thats a ripoff. How can they monitor the usage? whats stopping me just trying to find a connection from someone elses room??

Running at 54mbps instead of 108mbps: Not sure, I've never used any of these faster rangemax things.

Dongle: I'd assume it'd work - at normal B & G range & speeds - with more than just Netgear routers. But, I doubt that the increased range & speed would work with anything other than compatible Netgears.

Travel Inn: Guess they just have something which monitors the time each customer spends online, maybe usage too, perhaps only activate it for the set time you've paid for. Every device has its own unique ID so they'd be able to tell which is which. Using someone else's connection - theft, as you'd be using something that someone else has paid for. Plus they'd surely use encryption & you'd need the right password/key to get on it.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement