Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Bridge for printer and TV?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Bridge for printer and TV?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:15   #16
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society
Re: Wireless Bridge for printer and TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
thanks for that i was not aware of that .have you any links of evidence of this ?
or is it just your opinion.
as for *does* .
if i wanted to say *does* i would have wrote *does*
and not do that .
Written, but anyway. I'll try and dig out a link in the morning - it's not based on opinion, spectrum analysers don't have opinions! Basically, these things splatter all the way up from 2MHz (comms that the military use) all the way up through the shortwave spectrum (3-26MHz) and far beyond.

If you've got any shortwave listeners or radio amateurs in your neighbourhood, you'll have some pretty grumpy neighbours!
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2011, 01:17   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
thanks for that i was not aware of that .have you any links of evidence of this ?
or is it just your opinion.
as for *does* .
if i wanted to say *does* i would have wrote *does*
and not do that .
But "do" in that context doesn't make sense to me.

Anyhow, as for evidence, how about OFCOM's view?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:44   #18
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Ah, thanks! That's more useful than anything I was looking to dig out - good old El Reg!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:57   #19
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
But "do" in that context doesn't make sense to me.

ah thanks for that .

Quote:
Has Ofcom investigated PLT equipment?
Yes. Ofcom has exercised its enforcement functions under the EMC Regulations. Ofcom has investigated alleged breaches of the EMC regulations resulting from the supply of Comtrend PLT apparatus by BT.
What has Ofcom found?
On the evidence, Ofcom has not so far found that there is a breach of the EMC essential requirements. Ofcom has therefore decided against taking further enforcement action at this time. Ofcom is working together with Comtrend and BT to reduce any negative effects in individual cases and we support them in doing so.
It is recognised that EMC compliant equipment may still, in certain circumstances, have the capacity to cause interference to other radio communications equipment. This may happen due to the manner in which it is installed or operated.
Evaluating the complaints received and the evidence so far obtained, Ofcom has concluded that there does not at present appear to be significant public harm arising from this situation.
with around 750,000 Pairs of equipment estimated to be in use in the UK today.
Over the past 12 months Ofcom has received 143 individual PLT interference complaints; all from radio enthusiasts. Of these 121 have been investigated and referred to the apparatus supplier who has resolved 104. The solutions employed include replacing the apparatus, hard wiring and conventional wireless alternatives.
All of the complaints relate to the inability to receive radio transmissions in the High Frequency (HF) band (3 to 30MHz).
There are many other users of the HF Band including long range aeronautical and oceanic communications, the Ministry of Defence and international broadcasters. Ofcom has not received complaints of interference to these services
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enf...forcement/plt/
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24   #20
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

Yeah, but there's nothing wrong with the wireless bridge if you've already got Wi-Fi - so why support a technology that is, for want of a better term, pants?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45   #21
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
The thing is ,you have quoted a report where OFCOM have tested a particular make of PLT kit, and provided a link to another make. I believe that even radio hams will agree that some makes of PLT kit are better than others.

Most currently available kit works on frquencies that generally only affect radio hams (as noted by OFCOM in the report you link). The gigabit stuff operates from about .1 to 300 MHz. Indeed, when the video in that article worked, it included a demonstration of a Belkin Gigabit adapter doing a good job of wiping out FM reception in the area. If you are found doing that repeatedly, you run the risk of a visit from OFCOM.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07   #22
parkie
Inactive

parkie is an unknown quantity at this point

well for better or for worse I've got hold of an Edimax Br6574n router as suggested but I'm having a hell of a job getting it working. does anyone know of any good walk throughs for this kind of setup. or have i bought the wrong thing for the job? hope you can help, it's doing my head in a bit.

p
parkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:11   #23
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Or even their 1gig adapters if you want to be assured of good throughput, or have multiple users:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-gig-index.htm
Quote:
The simplest (though not cheapest) option is probably http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=475112

But, generally if you are using a router (which will be a cheaper option), you need to disable DHCP (essentially disabling the "router' part of the router and just using it as a switch).
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkie View Post
well for better or for worse I've got hold of an Edimax Br6574n router as suggested but I'm having a hell of a job getting it working. does anyone know of any good walk throughs for this kind of setup. or have i bought the wrong thing for the job? hope you can help, it's doing my head in a bit.

p
yep you want any of the three of the above.
but not a router as the hub is your router
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:51   #24
parkie
Inactive

parkie is an unknown quantity at this point

having googled this, I know it's possible with what I have, it's configuring it correctly that is proving difficult. can anyone help? are there tutorials anywhere?

p
parkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:05   #25
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

At a brief glance, I'd say point to point bridge (or WDS bridge, if your other router has WDS)
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:11   #26
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts
Smile Re: Wireless Bridge for printer and TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkie View Post
having googled this, I know it's possible with what I have, it's configuring it correctly that is proving difficult. can anyone help? are there tutorials anywhere?

p
Sent you a PM with details
progers is offline   Reply With Quote