Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Adding a wireless printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Adding a wireless printer

Old 12-09-2011, 11:59   #16
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Adding a wireless printer

Set it up locally first (as a wired printer) otherwise you can't set up the wifi settings
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2011, 12:05   #17
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

So I'll need to set it up on the machine that's wired connected to the router first?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43   #18
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Just wire the printer to a pc for initial setup. Don't involve the router at this stage. The software should then find the printer and ask you the questions it needs to do the first stage of the installation.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:54   #19
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Unless the printer has a built in control panel/display to configure the wifi then you need to add the printer to a PC, load up the software and then configure the printer for the wifi settings of your home.. Once that's done the printer can then be disconnected from that PC
Old 12-09-2011, 15:21   #20
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Unless the printer has a built in control panel/display to configure the wifi then you need to add the printer to a PC, load up the software and then configure the printer for the wifi settings of your home.. Once that's done the printer can then be disconnected from that PC
This is where I'm having problems. I've loaded the software on to both machines and physically plugged the printer in to the laptop. Unless there's something I'm not doing, neither machine can find a printer on any network when I remove the cable from the computer to the printer.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-09-2011, 16:08   #21
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Presumably the setup software asked you about stuff like SSID & wireless password and maybe gateway address?

If these have been set in the printer then once it's plugged into the router it should get an IP address from the router. Try logging into the router's control panel and checking connected devices. With luck you'll see the printer as a new device and can get it's IP address from the router. Once you get that far it's possible to manually create a TCP/IP port on the pc or laptop which will enable the printer.
Old 12-09-2011, 16:46   #22
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Presumably the setup software asked you about stuff like SSID & wireless password and maybe gateway address?
No nothing like that - the software for the printer installed etc then it got to a point where it said to choose either a USB connection or wi-fi. When I selected wi-fi it started trying to detect the network but couldn't find it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-09-2011, 17:06   #23
Kymmy
Inactive

Until you tell the printer what security and password your wifi uses then it will not connect to the wifi.. hence you need to install as a usb printer, set up the wifi then reinstall as a network printer
Old 12-09-2011, 17:54   #24
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

All sorted now - thanks

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-09-2011, 18:04   #25
Dai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
All sorted now - thanks
I love a story with a happy ending.

Old 12-09-2011, 18:06   #26
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

This may be obvious to some however there was nothing in the instruction manual to explain this - not helped by the booklet being in about 15 different languages and English not being near the top - but what I needed to do was install the printer and software on the computer which was connected by a cable to the router then do the same on the wireless laptop.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 14-09-2011, 12:05   #27
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

That was an epic struggle, good t get there in the end.
I just got a HP printer for my daughter, and configured that as wireless, thankfully, it had a little screen on it, and I could input the wi-fi password etc and it all went very smoothly.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:34   #28
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Don't some devices have "sync" buttons or options where you push a button on router and on device and they pair up, exchanging info.

My network laser printer is wireless via a bridge and I fix the IP outside the DHCP range so I can put entries in /etc/hosts to refer to printer by name. (Windows picks up this automatically but not Linux).
Old 14-09-2011, 13:16   #29
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I must admit to liking how anything 'networked' isn't like the bad old days, where you needed a degree in black magic to get anything to work, things are pretty much plug n play now.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 15:15   #30
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
OK cheers for all this so far - another stupid question (I really know nothing about networking) - which cable do I use to connect the printer to the router? The only output on the printer is the standard square-ish shaped socked and the cable that cable with it has a USB on the other end which of course doesn't fit anywhere on the router which has ethernet ports.
And you used to work in tech support for ntl...
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote