Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2011, 15:45   #2806
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
So what I don't understand is why, for SD, you get Tivo to upscale from 576 to 720 and then get your TV to upscale it again from 720 to 1080?

Every time you upscale, you lose picture quality, so doing just one upscale operation from 576 to 1080 in Tivo should be better.

If you could get Tivo to output 576 for SD, then your TV could upscale from 576 to 1080 and you would only be using one upscaling process.

Then it would come down to which is the best upscaler; your TV or Tivo.

Using an extra upscaling operation doesn't make sense to me, and theoretically should produce worse results.
Well, I always got my V+ HD to output at 720p. Why? Because that resolution is better for fast-moving action, especially sports. Some US sports channels actually broadcast at 720p for that reason. And 720p looked great on my V+ HD on my Full HD TV when viewing HD content.

I tried 1080i on my V+ HD and I couldn't tell the difference between that and 720p for HD content. Ditto now from the TiVo.

At the end, you have to trust what your eyes tell you.
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2011, 15:46   #2807
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As sherlock said once that l am most grateful for this information.
Old 25-04-2011, 16:04   #2808
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I would have thought that the menus would look pretty rubbish at 576i/576p though.
If the menus are in 576, then that's what they are in and nothing can be done about it. It's working out the best path to upscale them so that they look their best when output on a 1080 pixel TV.
Old 25-04-2011, 16:56   #2809
whoareyou
Inactive

Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
whoareyou is on a distinguished roadwhoareyou is on a distinguished road

The pic on SS1 Soccer Scores is awful at the moment. Much worse than the V+ next door

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Does Tivo warn you when youve programmed to record 3 progs at once like the V+? or does it assume you will not watch live tv and allow the 3 tuners to record leaving you to figure it out?
Old 25-04-2011, 17:02   #2810
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoareyou View Post
Does Tivo warn you when youve programmed to record 3 progs at once like the V+? or does it assume you will not watch live tv and allow the 3 tuners to record leaving you to figure it out?
It will ask you to change the channel if it is one that you watching and have not set to have set to be recorded.
Old 25-04-2011, 17:06   #2811
whoareyou
Inactive

Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
whoareyou is on a distinguished roadwhoareyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
It will ask you to change the channel if it is one that you watching and have not set to have set to be recorded.
But it wont warn you when your programming them?
Old 25-04-2011, 17:10   #2812
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoareyou View Post
But it wont warn you when your programming them?
I do not know that? As when it happened to me I was recording 2 and then the box decided to record a suggestion and that is why it asked.
Old 25-04-2011, 17:23   #2813
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

No, I don't think it does.
Old 25-04-2011, 17:41   #2814
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
No, I don't think it does.
Yes the box did, and also I have just tried after having Bee movie playing on BBC HD and recording it twice?

Either I am going mad or this is happening?
Old 25-04-2011, 18:09   #2815
HDFootyMan
Inactive

HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

I'd love to know why TiVo sometimes asks me if its OK to use a tuner for a recording when I'm already watching a recording, with 2 tuners free.

It should just do it already, Man-Up, and stop being so darn timid:

"Errrr.......I know you're watching a recording, and as such, you're no longer using that tuner, you know, the one you were using to watch SSN, but....can I use that tuner to make....erm, a re-re-recording? Please?"

Do it already!
Old 25-04-2011, 18:28   #2816
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Apparently it's because you have used one or both of the other tuners recently and it thinks you might want what it is buffering. It's aimed at people who watch two (or more) channels at the same time, flicking between them and rewinding if it's an interesting bit.
Old 25-04-2011, 18:31   #2817
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Apparently it's because you have used one or both of the other tuners recently and it thinks you might want what it is buffering. It's aimed at people who watch two (or more) channels at the same time, flicking between them and rewinding if it's an interesting bit.
Aaaaahhhh. That explains it.

Thanks.
Old 25-04-2011, 19:08   #2818
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yes the box did, and also I have just tried after having Bee movie playing on BBC HD and recording it twice?

Either I am going mad or this is happening?
Sorry. My reply was to the question "does Tivo warn you when you set three recordings at once" and the answer is "no it doesn't. it just sets all three recordings up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Aaaaahhhh. That explains it.
Yep. I wondered about that too
Old 25-04-2011, 19:12   #2819
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Sorry. My reply was to the question "does Tivo warn you when you set three recordings at once" and the answer is "no it doesn't. it just sets all three recordings up".
Ok cheers for that Carl, you may need to start quoting the posts that you mean to stop the confusion
Old 25-04-2011, 19:17   #2820
jagsman
cf.addict

jagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jagsman Send a message via Yahoo to jagsman

If I press "Record" during a show, will it record the entire show, or will it only record it from the point you started recording?
Closed Thread