Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 06-12-2021, 13:40   #256
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Happy to read your source.

However, all the news stories I can find on Omicron all trace back to this one paper:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...068v2.full.pdf

Where a study of 2.8m people previously infected found that 35,670 had been reinfected. A whopping 1.27%
In the small amount of time since discovery 1.27% is quite a lot considering exponential growth.

Quote:
There is no real data on whether Omicron can evade current vaccines, or the severity of illness
There’s enough for everyone to hit the panic button.

Quote:
I don't know about "substantial" but isn't that why we're having boosters anyway?
So you accept vaccines are waning and your simplistic “how many people have antibodies” statistic is absolutely irrelevant.

Quote:
Oh. well I spent a lovely week in Bridgnorth last week, and I've been to the pub for a steak dinner pretty much every week for several months, so I've been doing my bit for the hoteliers and landlords.

And things are going so well in Australia, New Zealand and Europe. Yes, restrictions are the answer................

There's a few that should take a mental competency test.
Ironic for the thread sociopath to question the mental competency of anyone.

So pray, tell Pierre at what threshold for hospitalisations and deaths would you bring in restrictions?

Because ultimately if you have no threshold participating in an evidence based discussion with you is pointless.

Last edited by jfman; 06-12-2021 at 13:43.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2021, 13:52   #257
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
In the small amount of time since discovery 1.27% is quite a lot.
I'm not a statistician but 1.27% applied to anything is small, or is that what you tell your girlfriend?

Quote:
There’s enough for everyone to hit the panic button.
You don't need evidence of anything to cause panic, as we have seen.

Quote:
So you accept vaccines are waning and your simplistic “how many people have antibodies” statistic is absolutely irrelevant.
I accept that, like a flu jab, the efficacy of the vaccine against COVID will vary, and annual or bi-annual vaccines may be required. The higher the immune response in a population can only be a good thing n'est pas?

Quote:
So pray, tell Pierre at what threshold for hospitalisations and deaths would you bring in restrictions?
I wouldn't. We have vaccines.

Quote:
Because ultimately if you have no threshold participating in an evidence based discussion with you is pointless.
But if the evidence shows you don't need a threshold................
Old 06-12-2021, 13:56   #258
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm not a statistician but 1.27% applied to anything is small, or is that what you tell your girlfriend?
It’s always the tell that you are rattled when you resort to the petulant insults.

Quote:
I accept that, like a flu jab, the efficacy of the vaccine against COVID will vary,
A massive climbdown in a mere two posts.

Quote:
I wouldn't.
At least confirmation that regardless of what the evidence says you will always reach the same conclusion. As many of us have long suspected.
Old 06-12-2021, 14:11   #259
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
In the small amount of time since discovery 1.27% is quite a lot considering exponential growth.

<SNIP>
Given that actuality preceded "discovery" by at least a couple of months, perhaps the "exponential growth" to 1.27% could be considered small.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 14:40   #260
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It’s always the tell that you are rattled when you resort to the petulant insults.
no, I’m just very immature.

Quote:
A massive climbdown in a mere two posts.
how so?

Quote:
At least confirmation that regardless of what the evidence says you will always reach the same conclusion. As many of us have long suspected.
What does the evidence say?
Old 06-12-2021, 16:00   #261
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I am going to start handing out topic breaks to people who cannot debate amicably, jfman, wind your neck in, you will be first to get a topic ban if your petty and petulant arguing continues.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:15   #262
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
over 90% of the population have COVID antibodies.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...hts/antibodies
The T-cells are also important in fighting all infections.
Old 06-12-2021, 17:23   #263
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Happy News from me........

On 12th of November both my parents tested positive for Covid my Mum recovered after a few weeks but my Father's Oxygen levels were low so an Ambulance was called, after 1hr lying in the Ambulance queue outside A&E he was eventually off-loaded, but then spent a further 3hrs waiting to get a bed.

As if catching Covid wasn't enough for a 79 year old with very little immune system he was also diagnosed with Pneumonia and Sepsis!

He was put on Oxygen and Antibiotic, it got to the point where he was struggling to breath and I generally thought I wouldn't see him again!

But with the odds stacked against him he has recovered enough for him to be taken off Oxygen, he's still weak and needs help walking as his lungs need to recover from the pneumonia but he has now been sent home and I have just had a 17min video chat with him and from what I see of his face and the way he was talking so confidently looks so happy.

He had been double vaccinated and boostered but was told he would have been in ICU if he hadn't of been or worse.

Big smile again from me.
Old 06-12-2021, 17:27   #264
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Very happy for you SnoopZ. Hopefully now he's home he will be able to make a good recovery. xx
Old 06-12-2021, 17:30   #265
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Glad he is recovering buddy
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:37   #266
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Thank you.
Old 06-12-2021, 17:54   #267
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If Javid’s right and there’s hundreds of folk out there with with it not knowing it, household contacts not self isolating, etc. get your money on a Christmas lockdown. And lockdown lockdown not you can go to the pub with 4 mates from 3 households wearing a mask restrictions.

When’s the school holidays in England that’s a good starting point a free couple of weeks.
Old 06-12-2021, 17:58   #268
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
If Javid’s right and there’s hundreds of folk out there with with it not knowing it, household contacts not self isolating, etc. get your money on a Christmas lockdown. And lockdown lockdown not you can go to the pub with 4 mates from 3 households wearing a mask restrictions.

When’s the school holidays in England that’s a good starting point a free couple of weeks.

Not going to happen

Unless the NHS is put under a sustained significant risk of collapse and there’s a major uptick in deaths then the economy comes first.
Old 06-12-2021, 18:08   #269
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Not going to happen

Unless the NHS is put under a sustained significant risk of collapse and there’s a major uptick in deaths then the economy comes first.
They’ve always taken that stance and consistently proven wrong so I’d not put too much weight into their intentions. There’s a number of cases that’s going to be a breaking point, the question is whether this variant is enough to push it there.
Old 06-12-2021, 18:30   #270
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
If Javid’s right and there’s hundreds of folk out there with with it not knowing it, household contacts not self isolating, etc.
Exactly how is that scenario any different from any day since we opened back up?

The fact that the vaccinated (which is just about everybody nowadays) can catch and transmit, means that will always be the case. It will circulate around the population probably until the end of time.

You should work for Sky or the BBC.

Deaths and Hospitalisations have been in steady decline since the end of October. There would have to be a significant upturn in the next two weeks for it to be even considered.