Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football : Season 08/09

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football : Season 08/09
Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2008, 13:36   #226
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: Football : Season 08/09

Looks like Mike Riley wasn't the only official having a bad weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
Reading boss Steve Coppell says he would not object to replaying Saturday's 2-2 draw with Watford.

The Royals went ahead when the assistant referee mistakenly awarded a goal instead of a corner after the ball had gone four yards wide of the goal.
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2008, 19:34   #227
c_r
cf.addict

c_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
If it was brought in by UEFA then Spanish and Italian clubs would strike as diving is just about an accepted part of football.
You can't be serious surely? You really think that Spanish and Italian clubs would strike if UEFA brought in that rule? What a ridiculous suggestion.
Old 23-09-2008, 07:12   #228
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_r View Post
You can't be serious surely?
Ah, my number 1 fan! I'd wondered where you'd gone! Anyway I am serious - and don't call me Shirley.

Quote:
You really think that Spanish and Italian clubs would strike if UEFA brought in that rule? What a ridiculous suggestion.
I wouldn't put it past the players. Watch any top level Italian game and watch the theatrics going on. If their prima-donnas thought that one of the biggest aspects of their game was going to be outlawed there'd be uproar amongst them.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-09-2008, 08:32   #229
yesman

Oh dear, it just won't go away will it..

Quote:
Sheffield United chairman Kevin McCabe has told BBC Radio 5 Live that an independent tribunal has ruled against West Ham over the Carlos Tevez affair.
McCabe said it would be "inappropriate" to discuss figures of compensation despite reports claiming the Hammers could be forced to pay £30m. West Ham were found guilty of breaching league regulations in the signing of Tevez and Javier Mascherano in 2006.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7630777.stm

Old 23-09-2008, 09:41   #230
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

players wouldn't go on strike but there was an issue of Champions that was talking about diving and cheating. Players like Poyet were saying when they came to England they were told not to put the ball in the net with their hand and things they had done their whole career.

In South America conning the ref is all part of the game and as stated above different leagues accept this more than others. This is why the FA shouldn't do anything about it as if we play our league with fairness and no cheating then when we play in Europe we will be at a disadvantage. UEFA and FIFA need to do something but as I said the game makes more money than ever before and so no one really seems to care.

It's amazing how many times you see a player on the ground injured and unable to move and then as soon as the ball goes dead or out of play they sit up and can move
Old 23-09-2008, 09:55   #231
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
It's amazing how many times you see a player on the ground injured and unable to move and then as soon as the ball goes dead or out of play they sit up and can move
And then go on to have a great game for Chelsea

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-09-2008, 12:38   #232
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

Quote:
And then go on to have a great game for Chelsea
Or Man Utd
Old 23-09-2008, 21:20   #233
c_r
cf.addict

c_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud ofc_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Ah, my number 1 fan! I'd wondered where you'd gone! Anyway I am serious - and don't call me Shirley.

I wouldn't put it past the players. Watch any top level Italian game and watch the theatrics going on. If their prima-donnas thought that one of the biggest aspects of their game was going to be outlawed there'd be uproar amongst them.
You do take people disagreeing with you awfully personally don't you? To state as a positive fact that players would strike if the penalty for diving was increased from a yellow card, as is the rule now, to a red card and a 3 match ban is simply preposterous. Apart from the fact that I'd be very dubious about the legality of striking on the grounds that the penalty for cheating had been increased, imagine the uproar it would cause amongst the fans, TV companies and sponsors in these countries. It's clearly nonsense and a moments reflection should tell you that.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:24   #234
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Read up - looks like I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.

But do keep your best ones for me though

btw, can Wes Brown do ANYTHING right??

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-09-2008, 21:26   #235
c_r
cf.addict

Quote:
Read up - looks like I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.
I don't see anyone else saying players would strike if they increased the penalty for cheating but maybe I've missed it?
Old 23-09-2008, 21:28   #236
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Arsenal youngsters are on fire in the Carling cup! 5 - 0!
Old 23-09-2008, 21:34   #237
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
I don't see anyone else saying players would strike if they increased the penalty for cheating but maybe I've missed it?
I truly truly truly truly apologise for suggesting clubs will strike. Can you ever forgive me?

Am I permitted to say that players from certain countries are likely to be put off from playing in other certain countries because parts of their game are dealt with more seriously than others?

Is that ok?

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_07 View Post
Arsenal youngsters are on fire in the Carling cup! 5 - 0!
Great innit! This season they might win something!

Eh Gooners, remember those days?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-09-2008, 21:40   #238
c_r
cf.addict

Quote:
I truly truly truly truly apologise for suggesting clubs will strike. Can you ever forgive me?

Am I permitted to say that players from certain countries are likely to be put off from playing in other certain countries because parts of their game are dealt with more seriously than others?

Is that ok?
You really really don't like people disagreeing with you do you? I assume by your typical sarcastic and smarmy comments when you're wrong that you admit that strike action isn't going to happen if UEFA bring in this rule. Why you're mentioning the other part of your post I've no idea, I didn't comment on that as you well know and actually agree with it to an extent.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:43   #239
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
You really really don't like people disagreeing with you do you? I assume by your typical sarcastic and smarmy comments when you're wrong that you admit that strike action isn't going to happen if UEFA bring in this rule. Why you're mentioning the other part of your post I've no idea, I didn't comment on that as you well know and actually agree with it to an extent.
I don't admit I'm wrong about it because I do believe some players will strike if what they see as part and parcel of their game is dealt with more severely. Watch just about any top level Spanish or Italian game to see the diving. The clubs themselves may not strike but I can see players doing so. feel free to disagree of course.

More importantly, nice result for the Swans! Best derby in years

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-09-2008, 21:56   #240
c_r
cf.addict

Quote:
I don't admit I'm wrong about it because I do believe some players will strike if what they see as part and parcel of their game is dealt with more severely. Watch just about any top level Spanish or Italian game to see the diving. The clubs themselves may not strike but I can see players doing so. feel free to disagree of course.
Why not come back with that in the first place rather than the infantile sarcasm? I completely disagree, I think the notion of a strike for a relatively small increase in the penalty for a particular offence is ridiculous. As I said before, apart from anything else I doubt whether such a strike would be legal in these countries. I'd be interested to hear if anyone agrees with you, to me the whole idea is completely beyond the bounds of possibility.
Closed Thread