Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who General Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who General Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2013, 17:01   #226
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who : Season 7

I fully expect there to be a clever get-out. The Five Doctors established that a Time Lord can receive a new regeneration cycle but didn't explain how. I just hope when it appears, it was worth waiting 30+ years to hear it.
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2013, 11:40   #227
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Stolen a copy of the 50th anniversary script, have you?

Exactly where Hurt fits in, we don't know. What we can infer from what was broadcast is that he is a past regeneration of the Time Lord who we watch on TV from week to week, but he is a regeneration that The Doctor refuses to acknowledge, because of something he did that he finds abhorrent.

Where he fits in, we do not know. He may have ended the Time War. He may have done something that prompted the Doctor to flee Gallifrey. He may be The Other, or a variation on that character, who was intended to be introduced in the late 80s before the show was cancelled.

Interestingly, however, if he is an incarnation of the Time Lord we call the Dcotor, that individual no longer has two regenerations left, but one. Probably.
Surely he must be a future regeneration of the doctor, as all the past regenerations are accounted for?

The doctors are listed numerically, by the producers of the show.

Unless as previously mentioned he is the aged version of Paul McGann as we never saw him regenerate, so we don't know how old he looked when he finally regenerated.
Old 22-05-2013, 12:07   #228
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Surely he must be a future regeneration of the doctor, as all the past regenerations are accounted for?
If he's a future one, then how does the 11th know what he did?
Old 22-05-2013, 12:32   #229
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
He's the Doctor, the future was yesterday :p
Old 22-05-2013, 12:36   #230
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
He's the Doctor, the future was yesterday :p
Not for his own timeline
Old 22-05-2013, 14:56   #231
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't know, I don't write this stuff.

However, in the 4th to 5th regeneration, the 4th Doctor was "stalked" by the 5th doctor under the guise of the watcher IIRC.

I'm sure I'll be put right by Chris, but that is an example of a future incarnation of the doctor appearing before the doctor regenerated.
Old 22-05-2013, 15:08   #232
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Unless as previously mentioned he is the aged version of Paul McGann as we never saw him regenerate, so we don't know how old he looked when he finally regenerated.
But the idea floated here, if I am not mistaken, is that this Doctor doesn't feature numerically because he isn't 'worth the name'. The Doctor says as much saying he is only the 12th in name and something hinting about someone who didn't live up to it.
Old 22-05-2013, 15:28   #233
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
But the idea floated here, if I am not mistaken, is that this Doctor doesn't feature numerically because he isn't 'worth the name'. The Doctor says as much saying he is only the 12th in name and something hinting about someone who didn't live up to it.
Well in that case (as we know Smith is actually the 11th Doctor, seen) then this potential unknown doctor must have appeared either before Hartnell or between McGann and Eccleston.
Old 22-05-2013, 15:32   #234
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Well in that case (as we know Smith is actually the 11th Doctor, seen) then this potential unknown doctor must have appeared either before Hartnell or between McGann and Eccleston.
I think it's the time war doctor? So he'll be before the old and the new era of Doctor Who. Or he'll never seem him again and it was a timey wimey thing and the whole plotline will be dropped.

(I don't know much about Doctor Who to be honest. I thought the time war as a thing that was always in Doctor Who lore)
Old 22-05-2013, 15:33   #235
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
However, in the 4th to 5th regeneration, the 4th Doctor was "stalked" by the 5th doctor under the guise of the watcher IIRC.
Yup - but the 4th Doctor didn't recognise him I believe.

Whereas 11<?> knows who the John Hurt character is
Old 22-05-2013, 15:37   #236
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

The dialogue suggests he is a past regeneration of the individual we call the Doctor, but one the Doctor refuses to acknowledge with that name.

First there is the fact that "11" recognises him and knows what he did, while every other bit of relevant continuity of the past 50 years has established that the "current" Doctor has no knowledge of his future incarnations.

Second, while Hurt argues that he did what was necessary, "11" insists "but not in the name of the Doctor". He also explains to Clara the significance of choosing a name that declares what you choose to be. Hurt did not live up to that intention, for whatever reason, so the Doctor refuses to call that regeneration by his chosen name.

As to where Hurt fits in, well the two gaps in the series are pre-Hartnell and post McGann. My guess is the 50th anniversary is either going to be a Time War story, or an Origins story exploring how the Doctor left Gallifrey. I really hope it's the latter.
Old 22-05-2013, 17:31   #237
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

So who is Clara anyway ,what is special about her ?.Is she the actual Tardis in flesh form or is that too far fetched .

Same question concerning River Song and possibly the same conclusion ?

Old 22-05-2013, 17:44   #238
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
So who is Clara anyway ,what is special about her ?.Is she the actual Tardis in flesh form or is that too far fetched
That was answered in the last episode

Quote:
Same question concerning River Song and possibly the same conclusion ?
Answered in 'A Good Man Goes to War'
Old 22-05-2013, 18:05   #239
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
That was answered in the last episode

Answered in 'A Good Man Goes to War'
I know that River is supposed to be the daughter of Amy and Rory but she was supposed to be conceived inside the Tardis ,Like i said though maybe a little too far fetched

Old 22-05-2013, 19:52   #240
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

As BenMcr said, both questions have been answered in the series.

River was Amy and Rory's daughter, but because she was conceived in the TARDIS her DNA was mutated by the time vortex to be like a Time Lord's.

Clara was a normal human girl... but when she stepped into the Doctor's timeline scar thing inside his tomb it scattered her across his timeline and enabled her to fix all the things that the Great Intelligence had messed with, which is why the Doctor had already met versions of her on the Dalek Asylum and Victorian London.

No mention or even hint of either of them being a living TARDIS.
Closed Thread