Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football : Season 08/09

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football : Season 08/09
Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2009, 14:29   #2041
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic
Re: Football : Season 08/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The problem with United fans is that there are so many of them, everywhere! It doesn't matter what part of England you go too, you'll bump into a dozen or so United fans at least. All ready to gloat about their team, so yesterday was a welcome break
Another delusional Arsenal supporter. You think Man U have the monopoly on out of town supporters.

Exhibit A m'lud

http://www.arsenalsupportersclub.co....-Branches.html

I've seen a fair share of Arsenal shirts in my home town too. Round about 1998, and 2002 funnily enough. Now what do those dates both have in common.
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2009, 14:32   #2042
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic View Post
And I think it's funny how bitter Arsenal fans come on twittering simply because they were given the runaround in the semi's, but hey ho.

I was, of course, referring to Tyldesleys presumption that Barca were head and shoulders above us, when they weren't, in my opinion. It wasn't a rant over Tyldesleys commentary style per se. Do try and keep up.
In my opinion Barca were head and shoulders above united, indeed it showed when a 5ft 7 footballer managed to tower ferdinand who is no dwarf and power in the second goal.

United were found out the way they were against Liverpool, united seemed content to allow Barca acres of space without even closing down players, where were the tackles?

How the alleged " World champions " were undone by a european side is beyond comprehension, not that I mind.

Old 28-05-2009, 14:33   #2043
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Actually I think Liverpool's overall consistency and quality has been improving a lot. The stats for the season just past show that. Bragging aside, we did beat you twice ... in fact we did pretty well against all the top teams. Our goal difference was better than yours, we lost fewer games than you ... the only deficit was four draws at home. Yes, a win's a win and runner up is nothing in terms of what goes in the trophy cabinet, but you would be foolish not to keep an eye in your rear-view mirror, and bear in mind that objects may be closer than they appear.

Liverpool's historic success was built on Shankly, with Paisley working magic on those foundations and Dalglish continuing it. However when he packed it in Souness derailed us pretty much single-handedly. There's no doubt Ferguson is a genius, but don't be too proud to learn from Liverpool here - once he's gone, it will only take a single less-than-perfect decision about his replacement and you too could find you lose that all-conquering streak.
Isn't that a sign of the times eh?

We can still say that we are the premier league champions, but you are reduced to statistics about goal difference and that you won two games against us, which did nothing for you to win the title.
Old 28-05-2009, 14:44   #2044
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
I don't thin the team selection helped either. We basically only had Carrick in midfield, Anderson has second season blues and has had a shocker all season. Park is too weak and no where near United quality, Giggs wandered too far upfield even though the ball wasn't getting that far and Rooney isn't a left winger. That only left Carrick so we never had the ball all night.

This is the squad that won the league though, so squad selection cannot be blamed, united were poor, no leadership on the pitch at all.
At the end of the day its the managers job to pick the team and get the best out of them, last night they were found out.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Isn't that a sign of the times eh?

We can still say that we are the premier league champions, but you are reduced to statistics about goal difference and that you won two games against us, which did nothing for you to win the title.

Look at the final tables for last season then compare them with this season.

What you will see is that although no premier league title was won, united did not improve, Liverpool did, the figures do not lie.

On a programme on sky sports the other week they had two guys from United on, guys who work in the background at United, and they said that Ferguson has already warned the players that if they think that this season was hard they had better roll their sleeves up.

Giggs is on the way out, Scholes is on his way out, Ronaldo does not know where he wants to be, Tevez has apparently gone Awol, with the loss of the huge revenue that last nights game could have brought with a win hard times are on the horizon.

Liverpool can only improve, Fact.

Old 28-05-2009, 14:46   #2045
pedantic
Inactive

pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamalpha2004 View Post
In my opinion Barca were head and shoulders above united, indeed it showed when a 5ft 7 footballer managed to tower ferdinand who is no dwarf and power in the second goal.

United were found out the way they were against Liverpool, united seemed content to allow Barca acres of space without even closing down players, where were the tackles?

How the alleged " World champions " were undone by a european side is beyond comprehension, not that I mind.
Hey! Long time no see. Not seen you since your last fairweather day.

What has Messi's height have to do with anything, he was yards away from Ferdinand.

I've alreeady given credit to Barca in the last few pages. I'll let you off for missing them though, I know you only get round here when it suits.
Old 28-05-2009, 14:46   #2046
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

At the risk of sounding like the abysmal jamie redknapp ( although id love to scuttle his missus ) the best team won.

After the first ten minutes ( and yes it was a sending off for pique ) we wre just outclassed and out thought.

These things happen when you play with the big boys ( not that citeh know much about that ) and its no shame to have been beaten by that team last night.

However it was a squad good enough to have won plenty of silverware this season ( unlike arsenal and liverpool ) so its hardly a bad season is it.

Liverpool - huffed and puffed but all for nowt and reduced to talk about historic success as you , instanbul apart , dont make history any more. Still never mind.

Arsenal are falling backwards and citeh? 40 points behind and another season of woeful mediocrity sums it all up.
Old 28-05-2009, 14:51   #2047
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Haha, this thread is off its t*ts! You boys
Old 28-05-2009, 14:51   #2048
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Another delusional Arsenal supporter. You think Man U have the monopoly on out of town supporters.

Exhibit A m'lud

http://www.arsenalsupportersclub.co....-Branches.html

I've seen a fair share of Arsenal shirts in my home town too. Round about 1998, and 2002 funnily enough. Now what do those dates both have in common.
Not nearly as much as United fans, besides this is not a comment on the club and their geniune supporters but the glory-hunting gits who demand instant gratification. 1998 is when it started for Arsenal, I used to always be able to get general sale tickets for Highbury until that year (I was actually at Wenger's first home game!) but after the double win? Nope.

It's only this year (and maybe last but I was at University) that I could go to a professional game again. Before then it was only friendlies and testimonials.

As a side-note the people who booed the team, and walked out of the stadium while demanding Wenger leave the club are examples of these fickle fans. When they remembered they supported Arsenal it was after the double win, now they feel cheated they haven't had the chance gain some reflected glory from Arsenal winning.

I am also sick of United fans who only supported them since the year they won the Treble gloating. You should be worried too because you'll have a generation of United fans who know only success and winning, the moment Sir Alex leaves and you go though a bad run they will feel cheated.
Old 28-05-2009, 14:56   #2049
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Hey! Long time no see. Not seen you since your last fairweather day.

What has Messi's height have to do with anything, he was yards away from Ferdinand.

I've alreeady given credit to Barca in the last few pages. I'll let you off for missing them though, I know you only get round here when it suits.

Messi was yards away from Ferdinand? so who was picking him up ?
Point being that no player of Messi's height should get near the ball, Ferdinand obviously did not learn his marking skills or positioning skills on the grounds of Merseyside, because if he had Messi would have been in the advertisement hoardings Ferdinand was ball watching while Messi was able to smoke a hamlet then get up to head in the ball
But fair one on you for congratulating Barca on their win, I will congratulate united on their league title win even though I feel they were fortunately lucky to win it.
So maybe next season United improve and they stroll the league?

Old 28-05-2009, 15:17   #2050
pedantic
Inactive

Quote:
Messi was yards away from Ferdinand? so who was picking him up ?
Point being that no player of Messi's height should get near the ball, Ferdinand obviously did not learn his marking skills or positioning skills on the grounds of Merseyside, because if he had Messi would have been in the advertisement hoardings Ferdinand was ball watching while Messi was able to smoke a hamlet then get up to head in the ball
But fair one on you for congratulating Barca on their win, I will congratulate united on their league title win even though I feel they were fortunately lucky to win it.
So maybe next season United improve and they stroll the league?
You mean like Branislav Ivanović was in the advertisement hoardings.

I mean the bloke did it not once, but twice....And he outjumped half your team in the process.

Thanks for the congrats though, see you next year.
Old 28-05-2009, 15:35   #2051
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

Quote:
I will congratulate united on their league title win even though I feel they were fortunately lucky to win it.
If you mean winning more games and having more points lucky then i suppose so. Most people would that would be classed as being "better".

Guess they're all wrong then.

Old 28-05-2009, 16:58   #2052
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Wink Re: Football : Season 08/09

Quote:
Look at the final tables for last season then compare them with this season.

What you will see is that although no premier league title was won, united did not improve, Liverpool did, the figures do not lie.

On a programme on sky sports the other week they had two guys from United on, guys who work in the background at United, and they said that Ferguson has already warned the players that if they think that this season was hard they had better roll their sleeves up.

Giggs is on the way out, Scholes is on his way out, Ronaldo does not know where he wants to be, Tevez has apparently gone Awol, with the loss of the huge revenue that last nights game could have brought with a win hard times are on the horizon.

Liverpool can only improve, Fact.
Are you trying to prove my point?

We finished above you in the table. Fact. Everyone, as a matter of fact. (You would think that that word would be banned in certain quarters, over the amusement it has created in others )

Next year will be a new season and teams who have shown promise one season have failed to live upto that promise the next.
Old 28-05-2009, 17:56   #2053
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Next year will be a new season and teams who have shown promise one season have failed to live upto that promise the next.
I seem to remember people saying the same thing when Mourinho won Chelsea's first Premiership, and he went and did it again!
Old 28-05-2009, 19:25   #2054
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
I seem to remember people saying the same thing when Mourinho won Chelsea's first Premiership, and he went and did it again!
I actually forgot to say "in the past".

What I was trying to say who knows what the new season brings
Old 28-05-2009, 19:36   #2055
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
I actually forgot to say "in the past".

What I was trying to say who knows what the new season brings
Indeed
Closed Thread