Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. I

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. I
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 15:02   #1516
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love virgin View Post
Just one thing does that mean everything that is on ITV will be showed in HD or is it just some that will be showed in HD?
Some as it's a simulcast channel same as C4HD and FX HD
Old 12-03-2010, 15:34   #1517
i love virgin
Inactive

Services: Virgin
i love virgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Some as it's a simulcast channel same as C4HD and FX HD
Ok Thankyou but will it be like it is on Freesat at mo when they show something in HD then you would have to press the Red Button or will it be a stand alone Channel?
Old 12-03-2010, 15:46   #1518
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ok Thankyou but will it be like it is on Freesat at mo when they show something in HD then you would have to press the Red Button or will it be a stand alone Channel?
A simcast channel is one broadcasting the same programs (in HD were available) at the same time as the parent channel, so yes, it's a separate channel.
Old 12-03-2010, 15:48   #1519
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
This from the ITV press release:

The ITV1 schedule will be simulcast on the new channel, with the majority of peak time content available in ‘native’ HD, including all live football, and an increasing range of drama, factual and entertainment programming. Other ITV1 content including GMTV and the daytime schedule, will be ‘upscaled’ – giving viewers a better than ever experience of the nation’s most popular commercial channel.
Old 12-03-2010, 16:06   #1520
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2901 View Post
Yes we do! (on Channel 853, ITV AD)
I did not know that!

However, why is Sky stating available to viewers in England and Wales but not Scotland or Norn.Ireland?
Old 12-03-2010, 16:11   #1521
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
I did not know that!

However, why is Sky stating available to viewers in England and Wales but not Scotland or Norn.Ireland?
Because 'itv 1 hd' is run by ITV plc

'itv' in Scotland is run by STV plc, and UTV plc in Northern Ireland - which are seperate companies who have no involvement in 'itv 1 hd'

So ITV plc do not have the broadcast rights for 'itv' in those regions.
Old 12-03-2010, 16:15   #1522
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

When it was a red-button service available to Freesat only, I believe it was broadcasting according to the ITV London schedule. This was politically unacceptable to STV in Scotland (which is very precious about its status as an independent member of what remains of the ITV 'network' - you rarely, if ever, see the yellow ITV1 logo anywhere on STV). I suspect the same will apply when it begins broadcasting with its own EPG number.

I'm wondering how this will affect the Freesat version of the service actually - if they move it off the red button, it presumably will become available to the whole UK, seeing as Freesat can't use encryption to restrict who can see a channel.
Old 12-03-2010, 16:24   #1523
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because 'itv 1 hd' is run by ITV plc

'itv' in Scotland is run by STV plc, and UTV plc in Northern Ireland - which are seperate companies who have no involvement in 'itv 1 hd'

So ITV plc do not have the broadcast rights for 'itv' in those regions.
Right so people in scotland will not be getting ITV1 HD then will they?
Old 12-03-2010, 16:36   #1524
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

I thought, and i dont think im wrong) that is Sky viewers manually tune/search/scan for ITVHD then they can watch it already, Scotland or not??!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 16:42   #1525
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You can scan for it if you have a Sky HD box, but the process is a little more complex than usual due to the way it is encoded by ITV. It isn't broadcast as a regular channel.
Old 12-03-2010, 16:57   #1526
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

So lets recap ?

HD channels already available on Virgin Media TV:
BBC HD
C4 HD
ESPN HD
FX HD
Living HD (a Virgin Media exclusive)
MTVN HD
National Geographic HD

Launching shortly:
Discovery HD
Eurosport HD
E4 HD
Film4 HD (a Virgin Media exclusive)
ITV HD

That is going to take the total to 12 and also the extra on-demand content that we will get as well!
Only anther 8-18 to get to their target for this year ?
Or could they get more?
Old 12-03-2010, 17:03   #1527
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You can scan for it if you have a Sky HD box, but the process is a little more complex than usual due to the way it is encoded by ITV. It isn't broadcast as a regular channel.
I thought so, so anyone in Scotland could, I'm sure, have a Google and find out the way to do it!
Old 12-03-2010, 17:08   #1528
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

I know this is off topic but MOBES dont you think that you need to change your sig due to all these announcements that are been made now
Old 12-03-2010, 17:09   #1529
BikeNutt
Inactive

BikeNutt is on a distinguished roadBikeNutt is on a distinguished road

Good Food was talked about a while ago. I'm not that fussed though - it would just make me hungry!
Old 12-03-2010, 17:29   #1530
greeninferno
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
I thought, and i dont think im wrong) that is Sky viewers manually tune/search/scan for ITVHD then they can watch it already, Scotland or not??!!!!
I don't want it on Sky!!

I have recently bought a new HD TV and was looking forward to watching the World Cup in HD on Virgin.

Was just waiting to see if it was going to be on.

Not that any of this is virgin's fault it's those ADMIN EDIT at stv

Please do NOT try to circumvent the swear filter by selective use of *s. The swear filter is there for a reason. (Chris)
Closed Thread