Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet is faster on laptop than desktop?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Internet is faster on laptop than desktop?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:50   #1
BENR
Inactive

BENR is an unknown quantity at this point
Internet is faster on laptop than desktop?

Hi,

I'm having a very weird problem. My internet connection on my PC maxes out at 310KB/sec, however my laptop maxes out at 500KB/sec, as it should on an NTL 4MB link.

DU meter shows the true bandwidth so I know nothing else is using bandwidth. I have also tested the laptop on the LAN port and it gets the full speed. I have even updated the motherboard LAN drivers.

I have also tried a different network card and also connecting the ethernet cable direct to the modem bypassing the router all with the same results

It sounds like a windows problem, but what?

What on earth could the problem be? Both run XP, running through a WRT54G router.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Thanks!
BENR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 07:54   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Internet is faster on laptop than desktop?

to the forum? are both machines running without a proxy? and running the same firewall/security?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:19   #3
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Are both machines running the same version of windows?

Have a looksie at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and see what it says for both machines.
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:22   #4
Ignatius
Inactive

Services: 10:45 and 18:30 most sundays. All Welcome! :)
Ignatius is just really niceIgnatius is just really niceIgnatius is just really niceIgnatius is just really niceIgnatius is just really niceIgnatius is just really nice

I've seen similar issues when speed/duplex settings are mismatched between the workstation and the router.

Please note that "Auto" speed/duplex configs do NOT work the way most people assume. for "AUTO" to work correctly, both the router and the client network card need to be auto. If you set one side to auto, and manually configure the speed/duplex on the other end you're likely to see issues.
If your router does not have manual speed/duplex settings, then the likelyhood is it's auto - but check the docs.

just something else to check.
Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 16:47   #5
BENR
Inactive

BENR is an unknown quantity at this point

I've installed XP on to a different partition and it downloads at around 500KB/sec.

This is weird
BENR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:36   #6
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENR
I've installed XP on to a different partition and it downloads at around 500KB/sec.

This is weird
could you not just format and start from scratch... ?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:42   #7
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

1) Are you using the laptop on a wifi connection, and the desktop on ethernet? If so, I understand with wifi and some speed tests you can get whacky speeds showing.
2) My desktop is full of quite a bit of rubbish, and due soon for a reformat (when I feel up to doing it)
3) My laptop has newer specs than the desktop which may affect speeds
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote