Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless networking with NTL via STB Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless networking with NTL via STB Modem

Old 01-05-2006, 19:04   #1
JMan
Inactive

JMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless networking with NTL via STB Modem

Hi !

I would describe myself as being fairly good with computers however after trying to set up a friends wireless network i'm starting to think otherwise!

Basically, my friend has recently acquired broadband with NTL and has asked me to wirelessly route the signal via a Set Top Box to his PC upstairs. So i bought a Netgear WGR614 router and a Netgear WG111 USB receiver and thought it would be a relatively simple process of simply connecting the router via an ethernet cable to the STB, and the going upstairs and connecting to the network. However, the receiver is picking up a neighbour's network but it is not finding the one downstairs in the front room. Is there anything that i'm not doing correctly in order to connect?

A step-by-step guide would be extremely appreciated! Thanks!
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2006, 19:21   #2
crazycamper
Inactive

crazycamper is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wireless networking with NTL via STB Modem

make sure that everything is turned off including the set top box and then connected it all up leave it for a few min and then turn it all back on.
crazycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 19:23   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

It's possible the wireless router isn't broadcasting its SSID, and as such can't be seen on the wireless reciever.

It's probably best you attach via cable to the router to begin with and set everything up properly, this way you can check it is actually broadcasting an SSID, or, at least find out what it is to enter on the receiving side.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 19:46   #4
JMan
Inactive

JMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks fo the quick replies!

I've made sure that everything is set-up in sequence, and that i've waited up to ten minutes before trying to connect to a network but still there's nothing there! It really is driving me mad! I've since checked the router with a friend who tested it for me and it appears to be working fine so i'm absolutely stumped as to what to do next! Any other ideas?
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 21:47   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

This is unlikley to be anytihg to do with the ntl STB or connection to it if you cannot see the wireless network.

You can confirm the ntl connection is working OK on the router by going wired from a LAN port on the router to your PC. That should show you have internet connectivity. As you are using a STB, your router needs to be registered with the ntl servers. Assuming you have done the power off and on bit on the STB and router and PC when first connecting the wires, you should get taken straight to the registration page when you first go on the internet. If not try entering "start.ntl" in the web browser address book. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../register.html

Once you have a wired setup Ok, you can check the router's wireless setups, and hopefully reconnect usign wireless. Remember to disconnnect the wired connection from your PC

If you continue to have isues with wireless, check you have current drivers, wireless is enabled, try disabling firewalls and antivirus.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote