Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My Router problems with NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

My Router problems with NTL

Old 28-02-2006, 20:33   #1
Andy M
Inactive

Andy M is an unknown quantity at this point
My Router problems with NTL

Right firstly im glad to have found this forum.
I have NTL 2MB broadband which comes into the modem and into a wireless router (linksys wrt54gs) i then have 1 wired connection to my desktop and a wireless connection to my laptop.
Anyway it was fine for a few weeks when one night the internet went down. I thought it might be maintenance, but got told over the phone my line and modem were functioning.
I was confused at the time so didn't immediately realise what was happening. The internet would work fine direct to either PC, it was when the router was involved that the internet would drop off after 1-2-3 minutes. LAN access would still be 100% working.
I exhanged the router thinking it had a fault, and today set it up. I have the exact same problem, but now realise it works fine whilst wired to the desktopm but as soon as i turn on the laptop and use that, the internet goes down again.
I have also tried 2 other belkin routers with the same problem except the belkin couldnt get a WAN IP when the problem started
I thought i was experiencing a rare problem but judging by some of the threads it seems extremely common with routers.
Ive had it working fine for 2-3 weeks at some points.
Ive got a stable WAN IP address, ive tried MAC cloning, resetting, and it works for another minute or so then goes dead.

What is the problem? Im adament its NTL!
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2006, 22:40   #2
SLM
Inactive

SLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud of
Re: My Router problems with NTL

Sorry to say if the BB works fine without router it will be nothing to do with ntl. You say when you go wireless with your laptop this is when you lose BB? Have you tested the LT as this is what is screwing things up? Could it also be 2 routers in the same area with conflicting RF frequencies?
SLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 23:09   #3
Andy M
Inactive

Right ive left it running after it went dead, and ive concluded this.

It doesn't actually die, it goes really slow, on both wired and wireless

It seams to come back to life, then fade away
Old 01-03-2006, 14:22   #4
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
Right ive left it running after it went dead, and ive concluded this.

It doesn't actually die, it goes really slow, on both wired and wireless

It seams to come back to life, then fade away
Ahhhh, that makes sense...

I have seen similar things before (I have a Linksys WRT54G myself....) I found 2 problems that contributed to this in my case...

1) my neighbour had a router configured on the same frequency, and the 2 managed to interfere a bit...

2) I had old firmware that was a little flaky.

I changed my router to a different channel, and upgraded the firmare, since then it has been rock solid.
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 15:07   #5
Andy M
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
Ahhhh, that makes sense...

I have seen similar things before (I have a Linksys WRT54G myself....) I found 2 problems that contributed to this in my case...

1) my neighbour had a router configured on the same frequency, and the 2 managed to interfere a bit...

2) I had old firmware that was a little flaky.

I changed my router to a different channel, and upgraded the firmare, since then it has been rock solid.
Another update, which is definitely the problem

Forget all the other things i thought were causing it.

Its basically spyware and lack of virus software. Im used to dialup where you got little or no viruses, but with the speed of broadband the things come in as regular as clockwork. The internet would come back to life whilst scanning for viruses etc, so ive been and bought macaffee and alls well.
So its never been a router problem (took 2 back) and its never been NTL, its been spyware on all computers,
I confirmed this because the internet also died with the modem straight into the computer
Old 01-03-2006, 15:12   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Glad you solved this. In case you haven't already. Get yourself a firewall as well (zonealarm is free). Your router will give you protection for inbound traffic, but a software firewall can lock down unwanted outbound traffic (though it can cause some problems as well).
Old 01-03-2006, 15:17   #7
Andy M
Inactive

Thanks
I must admit i would never have admitted to it being down to spyware etc, I knew they caused popups and annoyances but never realised they could completely paralyse my internet.
If it wasn't for my friend coming and looking then i would have been refunding the router and doing away with the network
Old 01-03-2006, 15:50   #8
lesrose
Inactive

lesrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Well well well. I have just the same problem - see my thread here. I am running AVG antivirus, and relying on just the router firewall. Should I install Zone Alarm for instance? I suppose I could try it and see. I did get the MyWife virus recently but AVG says I am clean.
lesrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 17:59   #9
Andy M
Inactive

Sounds stupid but i wouldnt believe anyone when i was told it was virus/spyware related. It was too dramatic i.e the internet just went dead after a minute, sometimes it would work for 5 minutes or 30 mins.
Ive scanned all my pcs on the network and turns out all of them had viruses, ive now stopped one from accessing the net (my server) as i think this was downloading allsorts of junk as it was on 24/7 then passing it across the network.
I would also notice this problem occured when i turned certain PC's on