Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WRT54G / telewest 10meg service problems..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WRT54G / telewest 10meg service problems..

Old 17-01-2006, 12:20   #1
roryf
Inactive

roryf is an unknown quantity at this point
WRT54G / telewest 10meg service problems..

Trying to argue with someone at telewest is like blood from a stone...

A lady trying to tell me that using a router can severely hamper recieving a service such as 10meg, and that is the reason we're achieving no more than 100k to 150k/sec download rates instead of a much, much higher rate, that we should be getting.

Now is there anything on this router (im using sveasoft.com talisman firmware) that could be set to make the recieving of the internet connection soooo slow that it would effect as described?

I dont believe there is - i know this firmware is used by 1000s around the world so i dont believe it could be that..

Any ideas? Just trying to set my mind at rest. I've used this router for over 2yrs now and i havent had any problems at all, the service we are getting now is around 1mb, worse than what we had before!

Rory
roryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2006, 12:27   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: WRT54G / telewest 10meg service problems..

Erm some routers cannot handle 10Mbs as stated numerous times within the 10Mb thread. If your service has suddenly taken a dump then it is doubtful that the router is causing the problem but you could remove the router from the setup to check wether something has gone wrong with it. You could then complain that your service is degraded and then state that you have tested it with and without the router in position.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 12:30   #3
roryf
Inactive

i wondered about the wrt54g specifically because at the top of this forum it recommends it as a router; i wouldnt have thought that this router would have problems if it was recommended?
Old 17-01-2006, 12:35   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Did I say the WRT54g can't handle 10?? All I did was state that some routers cannot handle the higher service speeds. Taking the router out of the equation is one way of proving the fault is elsewhere when dealing with TS. A factory reset may also work but the only concrete way of proving that the router is not the problem is to remove it from the setup and test the speeds again.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 12:35   #5
roryf
Inactive

Thanks for the quick replies