Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router Questions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router Questions

Old 15-11-2005, 08:11   #1
zc1
Inactive

Services: ex-NTL 10mb via NTL 250 and Phone
zc1 will become famous soon enoughzc1 will become famous soon enoughzc1 will become famous soon enough
Belkin Router Questions

Hi,

I have setup a Belkin High Speed Mode Wireless G Router and have a few questions.

1. I have setup a network key, so does that mean any computer trying to access the router/net etc... need to know the network key before the router will allow access ?

2. I noticed the firewall on the router is block a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP what I take is a NTL IP address is this ok ? If not how do I go about telling the router to allow it as I can't see it in the manual ?

3. As the router has a firewall, do I also need to run a firewall on each PC ?

Thank you for your time

Regards,
Garry
zc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2005, 10:02   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: Belkin Router Questions

1. Yes, so it can encrypt/decrypt the network traffic

2. Thats fine

3. You can if you want to monitor whats going out onto the internet as the hardware firewall wont tell you this. However i dont do this
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 10:04   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Belkin Router Questions

Garry,

1. Assuming you mean a WEP (or WPA) key, this protects the wireless network, and yes anyone connecting to your wireless will need to have that key. Read this thread for more wireless security tips.

2. You don't need to explicitly let anything in through the router firewall - unless you want to host a web/ftp server (not strictly allowed by most ISP's). Just ignore it.

3. Depends how paranoid you are personally I have a software firewall on each PC as well as my router firewall. If someone gets through the router they still haven't got in to the computers and also most software firewalls will prevent or alert you to new outgoing connections. If you're running XP SP2, the Windows firewall should be fine.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote