Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Would Running WEP Slow Browsing ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Would Running WEP Slow Browsing ?

Old 29-07-2005, 08:54   #1
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & Pipex 8mb ADSL
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to skyblueheroes
Would Running WEP Slow Browsing ?

I've been running a Wireless Netgear ADSL router for a while, but my main home PC is wired.

But, my work laptop is wireless and I've always had no probs using it on my network when the router was not secured.

I added WEP security a couple of days ago, and whilst there is no difference on the desktop (I wouldn't expect there to be), I have noticed a big change in speed of browsing on the laptop. You select a page, and it hang at 0% for a while until it loads the page all in one go.

I'm on 512 and it takes about 20-30 secs for bbc which is way too slow and much slower than it used to be unsecured.

Should I bother with WEP as I've not noticed anyone using it or connecting to it ?
skyblueheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2005, 09:02   #2
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix
Re: Would Running WEP Slow Browsing ?

Try disabling WEP and seeing if the speed on the laptop increases again, if it does, then it would appear as if the WEP is slowing it down.... if this is the case, see if there is a new firmware for your router ...
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 09:51   #3
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

Have you tried WPA?

IF your hardware supports it ?
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 10:22   #4
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & Pipex 8mb ADSL
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to skyblueheroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
Try disabling WEP and seeing if the speed on the laptop increases again, if it does, then it would appear as if the WEP is slowing it down.... if this is the case, see if there is a new firmware for your router ...
Firmware is latest (2.something), but I'll try disabling it tonight and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster
Have you tried WPA?

IF your hardware supports it ?
Not tried that. I think it supports it. Will check tonight.

Thanks all
skyblueheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 11:31   #5
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

If you need help setting it up give me a shout,
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 11:52   #6
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

WEP is more insecure than WPA, so if you can use WPA, I'd recommend you use that simply for the added security irrespective of any improvement in speed.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote