Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What would you do if you were Prime Minister? 2024

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What would you do if you were Prime Minister? 2024

Old 09-07-2024, 20:39   #16
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: What would you do if you were Prime Minister? 2024

Don't subside childcare. Don't permit banks to lend for mortgages on the basis of two earners. Let the housing market pop. Frees up jobs for people who need them and gives parents time to parent.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2024, 21:24   #17
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

take the boats [water taxi] from border force and sink them.
Old 09-07-2024, 21:38   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Ban 2nd homes for MPs

A hotel is built near Parliament and MPs are assigned a room, This has catering facilities should parliament sit late.

Better money for full-time carers, £600 (about this) is not enough to live on.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 22:09   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Don't subside childcare. Don't permit banks to lend for mortgages on the basis of two earners. Let the housing market pop. Frees up jobs for people who need them and gives parents time to parent.
I didnt think your posts could actually get any lower/worse, but you prove me wrong again.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 04:01   #20
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I didnt think your posts could actually get any lower/worse, but you prove me wrong again.
In what sense?

Although I was slightly playing devil's advocate to the post above by jonbxx (greater subsidies for childcare to make it viable for both parents to work) it's legitimate to ask whether to address the problem from the other side - essentially affordability of homes. Which is to a great degree based on what banks are willing to lend.

I didn't make any judgement on which parent. There'd also be an issue for single parents that would need addressed - however they wouldn't be in the rat race for affordable homes with a larger number of mortgage applications based on two earners.

I really don't know what "lower/worse" about that. There are undoubtedly many flaws within it however your implication that it's somehow "low" is utterly bizarre. As is the moral judgement on a seemingly large number of my posts.

Last edited by jfman; 10-07-2024 at 04:12.
Old 11-07-2024, 07:48   #21
Angua
17 years same company

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
In what sense?

Although I was slightly playing devil's advocate to the post above by jonbxx (greater subsidies for childcare to make it viable for both parents to work) it's legitimate to ask whether to address the problem from the other side - essentially affordability of homes. Which is to a great degree based on what banks are willing to lend.

I didn't make any judgement on which parent. There'd also be an issue for single parents that would need addressed - however they wouldn't be in the rat race for affordable homes with a larger number of mortgage applications based on two earners.

I really don't know what "lower/worse" about that. There are undoubtedly many flaws within it however your implication that it's somehow "low" is utterly bizarre. As is the moral judgement on a seemingly large number of my posts.
Fact is, government need as many taxpayers as possible, by improving child care this increases the number of tax payers, both by freeing someone up to work and creating jobs in childcare.
Old 11-07-2024, 08:51   #22
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Fact is, government need as many taxpayers as possible, by improving child care this increases the number of tax payers, both by freeing someone up to work and creating jobs in childcare.
If the jobs created are almost entirely reliant upon public subsidy, which many low paid jobs are already subsidised through tax credits, I’m sceptical better use of public money couldn’t be used on infrastructure projects or public services other than babysitting.

I suspect it’s better for share prices than living standards in the long run.

I accept though there’s a lot of complex dynamics at play - neither option is a zero sum game.
Old 11-07-2024, 16:12   #23
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If the jobs created are almost entirely reliant upon public subsidy, which many low paid jobs are already subsidised through tax credits, I’m sceptical better use of public money couldn’t be used on infrastructure projects or public services other than babysitting.

I suspect it’s better for share prices than living standards in the long run.

I accept though there’s a lot of complex dynamics at play - neither option is a zero sum game.
would be better focusing on creating an economy and jobs where a family can live with one major salary earner, instead of needing both parents to work just to keep their heads above water.
Old 11-07-2024, 16:17   #24
Angua
17 years same company

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
would be better focusing on creating an economy and jobs where a family can live with one major salary earner, instead of needing both parents to work just to keep their heads above water.
The whole work life balance needs looking at. With more automation there will be fewer jobs to go round. So rather than the obsession with doing more hours and often producing less as a result, shorter working weeks opens up more leisure industry opportunities.
Old 11-07-2024, 17:52   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Also, the elephant in the room that is the relationship between house prices and salary…

In 1983, the average house price was £26,000 and the average salary was £8,528. Therefore, it would take 3 times the average salary to buy the average house.

In 2023, the average house price was £280,000, and the average salary was £33,000, needing 8.5 times the average salary to average house.

In Yorkshire, the current average house price is £240,000, and the average salary is £27,600 - 8.7 the average salary…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2024, 22:55   #26
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Also, the elephant in the room that is the relationship between house prices and salary…

In 1983, the average house price was £26,000 and the average salary was £8,528. Therefore, it would take 3 times the average salary to buy the average house.

In 2023, the average house price was £280,000, and the average salary was £33,000, needing 8.5 times the average salary to average house.

In Yorkshire, the current average house price is £240,000, and the average salary is £27,600 - 8.7 the average salary…
I agree entirely with the above. When I bought my first house, in 1999…..and I was late to the party…..due to partying….very hard, in the nineties.

My house was twice my salary (not including my partners) and I thought it was steep.

Although, I will say there is plentiful housing available, around at about 20% of the Yorkshire average. But nobody wants it.

There is lots of affordable housing in the U.K. but nobody wants it.

Just saying……..

For the record, i wouldn’t live in these areas either. But …..make the areas better!
Old 12-07-2024, 13:32   #27
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Massively subsidise childcare.

Definately.

I had three children in nursery at the same time. Those days were very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Ban 2nd homes for MPs.
A hotel is built near Parliament and MPs are assigned a room, This has catering facilities should parliament sit late.

Absolutely. MP's are a joke most of the time. Let's not give them anything special. They are doing a job. We all do jobs. Why should they get extras!

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
10. Any cars on pavements to be crushed.

Yes! The amount of times I had to take my babies in their pram into the road to get road stupidly parked vehicles. Crush those cars!

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 16:35   #28
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Your really wouldn't like my answers give the comments I seen here. In simple terms . Stop taking money out of people's pockets to subsidise every one whom is to simple, stupid, or to lazy to look after them self's.stop banks refunding people whom fell for scams. Tow boats back to French waters. And make anyone that brings them to UK shore totally responsible for all there needs. Offering no UK government support what so ever, removing charitable status for any one that does. That's the softest of my thoughts, making Mr k seem normal
Old 13-07-2024, 20:47   #29
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Your really wouldn't like my answers give the comments I seen here. In simple terms . Stop taking money out of people's pockets to subsidise every one whom is to simple, stupid, or to lazy to look after them self's.stop banks refunding people whom fell for scams. Tow boats back to French waters. And make anyone that brings them to UK shore totally responsible for all there needs. Offering no UK government support what so ever, removing charitable status for any one that does. That's the softest of my thoughts, making Mr k seem normal
I'm so glad to be 'normal'

Forgot one :-

13. Any cat or dog owner that fails to 'pick up', to be made to consume the offending deposit. If, for some bizarre reason, they hang it from a tree, they too should be hung from the tree...
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 21:43   #30
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I'm so glad to be 'normal'

Forgot one :-

13. Any cat or dog owner that fails to 'pick up', to be made to consume the offending deposit
Know many people that walk cats do you?