Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Password manager

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Password manager

Old 04-07-2024, 06:51   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: , BBand 120M tier Superhub, O2 Mobile phone
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Password manager

Looking at Google for a password manager there are several.

Any recommendations as to a good one?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2024, 09:02   #2
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Password manager

Bitwarden is very good
Old 04-07-2024, 09:04   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I use Bitwarden Free it's one of the best, I tried to move my aging parents onto one though and that didn't go too well so they're back to coded paper passwords, I have a feeling you may struggle based on your recent IT help posts, but you should try and give it a go and not give up too soon.

https://bitwarden.com/pricing/
Old 04-07-2024, 14:07   #4
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Google Chrome has one built in which sinks to your Google account

it's relatively simple to use
if you have an android phone it will automatically sync to that

I looked at all the others and they all seem to have the same risk

unless you are a government entity I think it will be just fine security wise

the biggest thing you will be avoiding using a password manager is using the same password on more than one site
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 14:07   #5
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I use Bitwarden Free it's one of the best, I tried to move my aging parents onto one though and that didn't go too well so they're back to coded paper passwords, I have a feeling you may struggle based on your recent IT help posts, but you should try and give it a go and not give up too soon.

https://bitwarden.com/pricing/
Not a dig ,what happens and how likely it something like this being hacked. Main reason I rely on memory just counted 27
Old 04-07-2024, 14:21   #6
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Not a dig ,what happens and how likely it something like this being hacked. Main reason I rely on memory just counted 27
you can never know what the risk is because you don't know weather somebody in the company has done something stupid to compromise things

but it's a much more likely danger of you getting lazy and using the same old passwords
we all do it in the end lol
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 15:27   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't really have a professional answer to this other than I think it's pretty secure, all my passwords are completely random gobbledygook which I can't possibly remember, I have 2FA enabled so if someone tried to log in on the website I would get a notification to allow it or not, i usually use their mobile app and if im on PC which is very rarely a browser plug in for it with just one password.

At the end of the day I have likely 100s of log ins on there for various sites so if something did happen it wouldn't be a disaster as I don't put anything really important on it, any banking passwords are on paper and in code so no one could possibly use that info if they got hold of that.
Old 04-07-2024, 17:50   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Never really looked into them, how do you get in to it? Single password?
Old 04-07-2024, 17:53   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I also use Bitwarden (Free version).

Quote:
Never really looked into them, how do you get in to it? Single password?
Yes, a master password, so make sure its a good one, and you can remember it.

I think you can also set up 2FA on bitwarden, not sure on that.

You can set the browser extension not to time out, so you rarely need to login once done.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 18:12   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

You can set the browser extension not to time out, so you rarely need to login once done.
I have 2FA set on mine then open with a pin on previously logged in browsers
Old 04-07-2024, 18:57   #11
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Perhaps it my paranoia but if your one password is worked out every thing is opened, seems like a daft idea to me
Old 04-07-2024, 19:08   #12
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Perhaps it my paranoia but if your one password is worked out every thing is opened, seems like a daft idea to me
That is why all your important log ins need to have 2FA set up on them. Especially things like Amazon which can take payments once logged in

All my accounts that have any sort of finance assigned to it would need access to my mobile phone and biometric data to be able to log in. None of them just need a password
Old 04-07-2024, 20:04   #13
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
That is why all your important log ins need to have 2FA set up on them. Especially things like Amazon which can take payments once logged in

All my accounts that have any sort of finance assigned to it would need access to my mobile phone and biometric data to be able to log in. None of them just need a password
Sorry have very little idea what you are talking about.
Old 04-07-2024, 20:22   #14
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Most websites now especially if you add financial information offer a security feature called 2 Factor Authentication. So you sign into your website then the site sends a code (often 6 digits) to your mobile phone that you have to add to the site before it lets you in. My mobile phone is locked and needs a my finger print to open so basically it becomes very difficult for someone to access any site I spend money on even if they were to steal my password.
Old 04-07-2024, 20:24   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
https://www.techtarget.com/searchsec...authentication

Quote:
What is two-factor authentication and why is it used?
Two-factor authentication (2FA), sometimes referred to as two-step verification or dual-factor authentication, is a security process in which users provide two different authentication factors to verify themselves.

2FA is implemented to better protect both a user's credentials and the resources the user can access. Two-factor authentication provides a higher level of security than authentication methods that depend on single-factor authentication (SFA), in which the user provides only one factor -- typically, a password or passcode. Two-factor authentication methods rely on a user providing a password as the first factor and a second, different factor -- usually either a security token or a biometric factor, such as a fingerprint or facial scan.

Two-factor authentication adds an additional layer of security to the authentication process by making it harder for attackers to gain access to a person's devices or online accounts because, even if the victim's password is hacked, a password alone is not enough to pass the authentication check.
For example, I use 2FA for anything financial - if I pay for something online, Amex or my Bank will send me an 6 digit code (either by text message or email) that I have to enter on the Purchase authorisation page, before it will be accepted/processed.

So any fraudster would have to not only have my credit/debit card, they would need my phone (which is secured by biometrics) or access to my email account (which, on my phone and tablet, is additionally protected by biometrics, so even if I had left my phone/tablet unlocked, they still couldn’t access my email).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 04-07-2024 at 20:33.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote