Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Last UK Coal Fuelled Power Station to Close

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Last UK Coal Fuelled Power Station to Close

Old 02-07-2024, 05:24   #1
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Last UK Coal Fuelled Power Station to Close

Ratcliffe-on Soar Power Station will finally close at the end of September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c886qd2g80xo

Its cooling towers have been a feature around here for as long as I can remember (Built in the mid 1960's).

I once stood inside one of the towers in the early 1970's.

My Dad worked for the C.E.G.B (as a Shift Control Engineer) and gave me a tour of the station, including the control room, and inside one of the towers (the tower was undergoing maintenance at the time, so you could safely venture inside it).

I actually got to visit about 4 power stations in the East Midlands, plus the Nottingham Grid Control Centre (located in Clifton). The control centre was where I first learned computer programming (in Fortran) on their mainframe. I wrote some reports they used for a number of years.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2024, 08:11   #2
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Last UK Coal Fuelled Power Station to Close

To be replaced by what? …..that’s the problem.
Old 02-07-2024, 13:48   #3
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
As coal was used as source for 1% of our power in 2023 I think there’s a degree of over egging the pudding going on.
Old 02-07-2024, 15:22   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I've seen these cooling towers a lot whilst aircraft spotting at East Midlands Airport.
I think it will take a year or so before they get taken down.
Here are some photos I took a few years back...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towers3.jpg (999.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg towers2.jpg (926.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg towers4.JPG (85.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Halcyon; 02-07-2024 at 15:25.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 16:08   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ratcliffe-on Soar Power Station will finally close at the end of September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c886qd2g80xo

Its cooling towers have been a feature around here for as long as I can remember (Built in the mid 1960's).

I once stood inside one of the towers in the early 1970's.

My Dad worked for the C.E.G.B (as a Shift Control Engineer) and gave me a tour of the station, including the control room, and inside one of the towers (the tower was undergoing maintenance at the time, so you could safely venture inside it).

I actually got to visit about 4 power stations in the East Midlands, plus the Nottingham Grid Control Centre (located in Clifton). The control centre was where I first learned computer programming (in Fortran) on their mainframe. I wrote some reports they used for a number of years.
My father worked for Parsons and commisioned the generators for this power station all those years ago.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 22:05   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Not really. We’ve almost entirely eliminated coal from our energy mix so we don’t use it for base load and we often don’t use it to cover exceptional demand either. Our baseload is covered by gas, nuclear and biomass. In future the balance will tip towards nuclear.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 23:57   #7
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
and biomass.
Oh yes, fuelling Drax, Wood pellets from North America, shipped over here to Liverpool and then onto Drax by diesel train to Yorkshire.

So Green.
Old Yesterday, 08:47   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Oh yes, fuelling Drax, Wood pellets from North America, shipped over here to Liverpool and then onto Drax by diesel train to Yorkshire.

So Green.
Unlike the coal, which from 2020 came from from countries including Russia, Australia, South Africa, Columbia and Poland?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34   #9
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Eyesores, that have destroyed the planet.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

So Green.
It isn’t. But it is what has replaced coal, and it is the lack of coal which you presented as causing a problem.
Old Yesterday, 12:14   #11
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Unlike the coal, which from 2020 came from from countries including Russia, Australia, South Africa, Columbia and Poland?
I agree, we had, and still have, plentiful coal reserves.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Quote:
It isn’t. But it is what has replaced coal, and it is the lack of coal which you presented as causing a problem.
Like I say, there's no "lack of coal" just the lack of will to extract it.
Old Yesterday, 12:45   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Like I say, there's no "lack of coal" just the lack of will to extract it.
Well no, you didn’t mention coal reserves earlier, you implicitly criticised alternative energy sources in what you actually said, which was: ‘to be replaced by what … that’s the problem’.

So what is your actual complaint about the removal of coal from our electricity generation mix? Because your point seems to keep shifting.
Old Yesterday, 14:01   #13
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Well no, you didn’t mention coal reserves earlier, you implicitly criticised alternative energy sources in what you actually said, which was: ‘to be replaced by what … that’s the problem’.

So what is your actual complaint about the removal of coal from our electricity generation mix? Because your point seems to keep shifting.
My actual complaint is the removal of stable, relatively cheap, energy. That is being replaced by not stable, relatively expensive energy.

Or in the case of biomas, being hoodwinked into thinking that importing wood pellets from North America is any greener that using coal from the UK.

Anyway, I take your point, I'm drifting away from the topic and into general energy policy.

Needless to say, it's obvious what side of that debate I'm on.
Old Yesterday, 17:04   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
My actual complaint is the removal of stable, relatively cheap, energy. That is being replaced by not stable, relatively expensive energy.

Or in the case of biomas, being hoodwinked into thinking that importing wood pellets from North America is any greener that using coal from the UK.

Anyway, I take your point, I'm drifting away from the topic and into general energy policy.

Needless to say, it's obvious what side of that debate I'm on.
Thank you

The problem is, stable, cheap energy (coal) has raised global temperatures and continues to do so, with as-yet unknown consequences for human civilisation. Already, summer conditions in the UK have become less benign and predictable.

Acidification of rain in Scandinavia used to be a thing, which we were almost single-handedly responsible for, thanks to our industrial-scale burning of coal, but that has become a thing of the past.

It’s like an Asda smart price lasagne. You could eat it every night and thereby live on £5 a week, but should you?