Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do you use you Mobile phone for?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What do you use you Mobile phone for?

Old 13-06-2024, 11:05   #16
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What do you use you Mobile phone for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I have one and have a love/hate relationship with it.

I get the occasional spam call but I only use it to phone someone when I'm out or when the home line dies as it has been doing this last couple of days. VM Digital downside effect.

I used to use it for WhatsApp and text messages but I now access them on my Chromebook. Used it to check my FB account this morning but without FB Purity it's a pain in the behind. (Sorry if anyone on here had a weird FB post from me earlier.)

I do find it great for taking photos and use Google wallet and Stocard but, as I'm always a tad dubious of them working, I use a phone case so that I can carry around a few of my store cards, my debit card and cash. As a result it weighs far more than a basic phone and is a little too big/heavy to fit in my back pocket
You know if you lose your phone the finder/thief then has access to your mobile number and debit card, if banking uses your phone I'm not sure if that's a good idea keeping them together.
Old 13-06-2024, 11:12   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You know if you lose your phone the finder/thief then has access to your mobile number and debit card, if banking uses your phone I'm not sure if that's a good idea keeping them together.
Then what solution is left? I have gone back to post with my bank but that is too long winded.I guess I shall just have to keep my mobile on me at all times and NOT leave it laying about to be nicked or to be lost. An inside pocket in my coat is so useful.
Old 13-06-2024, 11:38   #18
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Then what solution is left? I have gone back to post with my bank but that is too long winded.I guess I shall just have to keep my mobile on me at all times and NOT leave it laying about to be nicked or to be lost. An inside pocket in my coat is so useful.
My point was if the debit cards are attached to the mobile phone case, it may be an issue.

For example if that person loses the phone and cards together then a thief decided to buy something with the cards, maybe that purchase would then get an authorisation request sent to the phone which the thief could then authorise if they could access the phone which would be bad?

Maybe it isn't as simple as that but this is why my Credit and Debit cards are in my wallet separately from my phone.
Old 13-06-2024, 12:31   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They didn't ask me..They just did it.
Didn't you get told to plug your homephone into your router? The only downside is that you have no emergency line in case of a power cut, unless you opted to have their emergency thingie that is basically a mobile phone.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 14:57   #20
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
NFC is switched off and my phone only unlocks with a finger print or face identification and when locked I can't even access incoming calls. There is a pin but you only get 3 chances before the phone is locked down and I have to go to my Samsung account to unlock it. Been there, done that.

The debit card has only a limited amount available, and once I gain confidence in the wallet I will stop carrying that card.
Old 13-06-2024, 17:15   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have my debit cards on my phone and it asks for some form of ID before use.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 18:11   #22
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I no longer have a landline because Virgin Media removed it.
Ditto, but then I asked them to

We all have mobiles, plus my tablet, and even a SIP number on another tablet that has no SIM.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 21:47   #23
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I no longer have a landline because Virgin Media removed it.
Discount?
Old 13-06-2024, 21:59   #24
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
My point was if the debit cards are attached to the mobile phone case, it may be an issue.

For example if that person loses the phone and cards together then a thief decided to buy something with the cards, maybe that purchase would then get an authorisation request sent to the phone which the thief could then authorise if they could access the phone which would be bad?

Maybe it isn't as simple as that but this is why my Credit and Debit cards are in my wallet separately from my phone.
It isn’t as simple as that. Any authorisation request requires

1. Authentication to the app which is itself secured by either a passcode or biometrics

2. A phone call from the bank
Old 14-06-2024, 01:58   #25
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Calls...occasionally.
Sending texts and emails - <minor aside>I do not agree with the current view that 'text' is a verb. It is not, or at least it wasn't when I went to school. I DO NOT use 'text' as a verb - it is a noun.</minor aside>
Topping up gas and electric.
Banking.
Alarm clock.
Navigating.
Chrome, VERY occasionally.
Lidl Plus (if I remember).
But no social media. Definitely no YouTube, TikTok or Instagram.
I do have Google Play installed, but the last thing I downloaded was a QR scanner app.
That's about it. I am not dependent on my phone; some of this stuff I can do via my laptop. If I'm found dead anywhere but at home, chances are I won't have it on me. I regard it primarily as a necessary evil.

WINDOWS 11, ANYONE?!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 10:27   #26
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Calls...occasionally.
Sending texts and emails - <minor aside>I do not agree with the current view that 'text' is a verb. It is not, or at least it wasn't when I went to school. I DO NOT use 'text' as a verb - it is a noun.</minor aside>
Topping up gas and electric.
Banking.
Alarm clock.
Navigating.
Chrome, VERY occasionally.
Lidl Plus (if I remember).
But no social media. Definitely no YouTube, TikTok or Instagram.
I do have Google Play installed, but the last thing I downloaded was a QR scanner app.
That's about it. I am not dependent on my phone; some of this stuff I can do via my laptop. If I'm found dead anywhere but at home, chances are I won't have it on me. I regard it primarily as a necessary evil.
And here is me telling my parents the mobile phone is a life saver so make sure you have it on you when you leave the house, less chance of them being found dead then in case of a fall etc, I think that is a pretty obvious sensible thing to do.
Old 14-06-2024, 16:48   #27
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
<minor aside>I do not agree with the current view that 'text' is a verb. It is not, or at least it wasn't when I went to school. I DO NOT use 'text' as a verb - it is a noun.</minor aside>
Any noun can be verbed
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 17:37   #28
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Would be easier to list what I don't use my phone for. I have a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, so the big display makes it great for typing, multitasking and consuming content. Most of my loyalty cards are on the phone too as well as using Google pay 99% of the time.e when I'm out.
Old 15-06-2024, 22:51   #29
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
And here is me telling my parents the mobile phone is a life saver so make sure you have it on you when you leave the house, less chance of them being found dead then in case of a fall etc, I think that is a pretty obvious sensible thing to do.
Hmm. Fair point. I may rethink my policy...if I remember. Damn memory these days is like a...ooh, what d'you call 'em, you find 'em in kitchens, holes in 'em - ah! A sieve!

WINDOWS 11, ANYONE?!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 09:42   #30
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I actually use my phone for controlling my 500 litre Tropical fish tank too.

I can control the heater, get alerts if the temperature drops or there are any problems, and change the lighting.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote