Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I hate the new Photos app!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I hate the new Photos app!

Old 05-06-2024, 10:23   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Angry I hate the new Photos app!

It's molasses-slow! Too many extra features, and it's not at all obvious how to use them! Look, when I'm viewing photos, viewing them is ALL I WANT TO DO, okay? I tried Photos Legacy, but that's no better - so I uninstalled both and went with IrfanView, fast and efficient.

You know, this is exactly why I changed my signature!

WINDOWS 11, ANYONE?!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2024, 11:15   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: I hate the new Photos app!

I don't think it's Windows 11 that's the problem here. But glad you got it sorted.
Old 05-06-2024, 14:06   #3
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
so I uninstalled both and went with IrfanView, fast and efficient.

You know, this is exactly why I changed my signature!
I have used IrfanView for over 20 years and heartily recommend it.

It doesn't take up much space, is fast and has lots of features available for editing, cropping, resizing, optimising,converting and annotating pictures.
And it has the added bonus of playing audio and video files.
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 21:00   #4
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Im glad ya got it sorted Mate!!!!!

Im sorry for the trouble....... They always do stupid things like this because peoples jugements are all me$$ed up now...... They think crap is better!!

And there is no telling them either

Im glad its the way you are happy again!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 21:15   #5
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

To be honest, I'm seriously debating using the ISO of Windows 8 I got from Micro$oft, wiping 11 and installing 8. It'd be a pain installing everything again, and 8 is no longer supported...but on my previous laptop I never updated 8 anyway, and it ran perfectly fine. Most of the 'security' 'updates' aren't needed if you have Norton Antivirus.

And at least the damn menus always stayed the same! Plus no intrusive AI, OneDrive, ads or any nonsense like that!

WINDOWS 11, ANYONE?!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 22:00   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Window 8 would be fine, I'm still runnig W7 without issues, and still get defender updates as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 22:17   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
To be honest, I'm seriously debating using the ISO of Windows 8 I got from Micro$oft, wiping 11 and installing 8. It'd be a pain installing everything again, and 8 is no longer supported...but on my previous laptop I never updated 8 anyway, and it ran perfectly fine. Most of the 'security' 'updates' aren't needed if you have Norton Antivirus.

And at least the damn menus always stayed the same! Plus no intrusive AI, OneDrive, ads or any nonsense like that!
Onedrive is awesome if you put it to good use. Dunno why people hate on it. All my important docs are all backed up automatically. All my diet tracking spreadsheets and accounts all saved and accessible from anywhere. It is great and very simple to use
Old 09-06-2024, 14:53   #8
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Onedrive is awesome if you put it to good use. Dunno why people hate on it. All my important docs are all backed up automatically. All my diet tracking spreadsheets and accounts all saved and accessible from anywhere. It is great and very simple to use
remember that OneDrive is a sync tool, not a backup tool. make sure you have copies elsewhere that are not contained in OneDrive.

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote:

perhaps take a look at Linux or Mac. Linux Mint is a great distro that holds a fair chunk of familiarity with windows of yesteryear, and is really nice a snappy to use. it was a daily driver for me for a long time when I finally had it with the Frankenstein, confused, monstrosity that windows had become a few years back (and continues to lean heavily into for some unknown reason). over the last couple of years I've invested in Mac and would (at this stage) never go back to using windows as a daily driver. I do still have a windows box, but it only gets turned on to play a game or two, which is only a couple fo times a month. Everything else I do, the Mac does just as well or better imo. And with iPhones and iPads in the house too, the eco-system is exceptionally good.
Old 09-06-2024, 14:55   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
remember that OneDrive is a sync tool, not a backup tool. make sure you have copies elsewhere that are not contained in OneDrive.

All over it mate