Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GB News / Talk TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

GB News / Talk TV

Old 29-09-2023, 13:16   #901
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: GB News / Talk TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The only thing dying here is any sense of irony.
I think Seph is pitching for a presenter's role at GB News.

The presenter opportunities are coming fast and furious at GB News! Calvin Robinson says he has now been suspended by the channel, perhaps for showing solidarity with Comrade Wootton?
Quote:
Robinson had said he would not appear on Wootton's show without him, saying: "Our bosses are scared. Afraid of Ofcom, afraid of the woke mob"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66958077
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2023, 13:18   #902
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
The only thing dying here is any sense of irony.
To repeat something I posted earlier this month (when Murdoch railed against the "elites" in his "resignation" letter).

"Irony has jumped the tracks, careened down the embankment, crashed through a circus, drove over a mink farm, and finally plowed into a protected wetland where it rolled over, leaking oil, and exploded, raining down smoking clown shrapnel and flaming weasels over the countryside.*

*@stonekettle
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 14:11   #903
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
When a TV channel hires senior members of the ruling political party to interview its own ministers in place of independent professional journalists, democracy is dying. The UK needs an independent media to hold its politicians to account, not the governing party interviewing itself.

I don’t see it like that. Freedom of expression is a self defining thing.

To your point, what independent media would that be? In the case of GB News, its enemies would in any case bombard OFCOM with complaints. The playing field is in sufficiently level.

I’m no fan of the government but I’d like to see some judicial fairness here.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 14:17   #904
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

I don’t see it like that. [b]Freedom of expression is a self defining thing.[‘b]

To your point, what independent media would that be? In the case of GB News, its enemies would in any case bombard OFCOM with complaints. The playing field is in sufficiently level.

And sometimes it’s defined by the Deputy Chairman of the ruling Political Party being paid £100,000 a year for 8 hours work per week…
Old 29-09-2023, 14:20   #905
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Freedom of expression on broadcast TV and Radio is and always has been regulated, particularly with regards to impartiality. From the outset our sovereign parliament has recognised the danger inherent in the unregulated broadcast of political messaging, given its ability to reach so many so quickly, in addition to its high access costs which tend to make it anything but a level playing field.

Nothing has changed or died in that regard, except that GBN has been trying to push the boundaries of acceptable conduct and has rightly been found wanting.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 14:33   #906
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Freedom of expression on broadcast TV and Radio is and always has been regulated, particularly with regards to impartiality. From the outset our sovereign parliament has recognised the danger inherent in the unregulated broadcast of political messaging, given its ability to reach so many so quickly, in addition to its high access costs which tend to make it anything but a level playing field.

Nothing has changed or died in that regard, except that GBN has been trying to push the boundaries of acceptable conduct and has rightly been found wanting.
Or put another way you can say what you like as long as we like it
Old 29-09-2023, 14:44   #907
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Or put another way you can say what you like as long as we like it
Er, no, that’s nothing like another way of describing impartiality.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 15:24   #908
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

I know that Ian is a rabid anti-Tory leftie who revels in awkwardness for GB News
You like me really
Old 29-09-2023, 15:50   #909
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I said independent professional journalists. They can be right-wing journalists like Andrew Neill but they need to be independent by not being an MP nor holding a position of power in a political party.

I'm not sure that because GB News oversteps the boundaries quite a lot (qv Fox and Wootton recently) and therefore attracts complaints, we have to compensate for that incompetence by allowing politicians of one party to interview one another to provide a level playing field of judicial fairness.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 15:56   #910
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You like me really
Of course.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 23:17   #911
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Lozza’s taking it well…

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4145.jpeg (24.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 30-09-2023, 04:32   #912
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I see the usual whinging members of this channel, still whining about it, it’s easy, don’t watch it.

It seems it was okay on Piers Morgan’s show for a guest to deride Sam Smith, would you want to shag that, crickets from you lot.

And those of you peddling mistruths on viewing figures, it regular beats Sky News and BBC News 24 and Talk TV combined, of course all the other media outlets, calling for its shutdown, it’s because GBN are the competition.

While we are here, there had been far worse things said, Jo Brand said the milk thrown on Farage should have been acid, all the complaints to Ofcom, they didn’t find fault, the BBC hid the antics of Jimmy Saville for decades, it was a dirty little secret, so while you’re snivelling snide remarks about a startup station that is doing well audience wise, fastest online growing brand, remember none of the others are perfect, so why shouldn’t they be shut down?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 07:06   #913
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I see the usual whinging members of this channel, still whining about it, it’s easy, don’t watch it.

It seems it was okay on Piers Morgan’s show for a guest to deride Sam Smith, would you want to shag that, crickets from you lot.

And those of you peddling mistruths on viewing figures, it regular beats Sky News and BBC News 24 and Talk TV combined, of course all the other media outlets, calling for its shutdown, it’s because GBN are the competition.

While we are here, there had been far worse things said, Jo Brand said the milk thrown on Farage should have been acid, all the complaints to Ofcom, they didn’t find fault, the BBC hid the antics of Jimmy Saville for decades, it was a dirty little secret, so while you’re snivelling snide remarks about a startup station that is doing well audience wise, fastest online growing brand, remember none of the others are perfect, so why shouldn’t they be shut down?
Is the difference not that Jo Brand is a professional comedian, making statements for entertainment purposes, on a recognised comedy show?

If GB News is a serious news channel (not a concession I’d make but I’ll pretend for once) surely they should broadcast news and not who Lawrence Fox would (or would not) shag?

If only GB News were broadcasting the news rather than generating it switching off would be an answer.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 09:15   #914
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Is the difference not that Jo Brand is a professional comedian, making statements for entertainment purposes, on a recognised comedy show?

If GB News is a serious news channel (not a concession I’d make but I’ll pretend for once) surely they should broadcast news and not who Lawrence Fox would (or would not) shag?

If only GB News were broadcasting the news rather than generating it switching off would be an answer.
Given it is the Propaganda wing of the Tory Party, it has no credibility being an objective News channel
Old 30-09-2023, 11:31   #915
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

And the pathetic Channel 4, Guardian are hard left Labour pieces & nut jobs. Do you actually have a point Ian, or do you just enjoy chatting lefty shitty soundbites as usual?

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Correction, she WAS a comedian. She’s now a divisive pathetic entity & it’s sad because I did find her funny but she crossed a line.

So you condone violence - got it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote