Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 08-09-2023, 09:37   #5521
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
My daughter studied French (for some strange reason) and took an Erasmus year in La Réunion. A brilliant scheme. If only the EU has been a FTA + Erasmus + Horizon and not subject to the creeping Brussels power grab, we might not have had good reason to leave the EU.
We left Erasmus to pander to ultra Brexiters' insecurities about remaining in any EU scheme. We need to rejoin Erasmus so future Brits can enjoy the benefits like your daughter has.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2023, 11:28   #5522
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
We left Erasmus to pander to ultra Brexiters' insecurities about remaining in any EU scheme. We need to rejoin Erasmus so future Brits can enjoy the benefits like your daughter has.
I'm pleased that you phrased it that way. It lets me off the hook!

On the other hand, I'm not sure that at the time they would have allowed us to retain Erasmus.

Btw, on my daughter's benefits - no doubt that living in France enhances her subject education; but equal beneficiaries, dare I say, were the rest of the family who ventured out there for a holiday! Very good goat karis!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 14:05   #5523
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm pleased that you phrased it that way. It lets me off the hook!

On the other hand, I'm not sure that at the time they would have allowed us to retain Erasmus.

Btw, on my daughter's benefits - no doubt that living in France enhances her subject education; but equal beneficiaries, dare I say, were the rest of the family who ventured out there for a holiday! Very good goat karis!
It was a UK not an EU decision.
Quote:
The UK is no longer an EU Member State. It has also opted not to take part as an associated third country in the new Erasmus+ programme 2021-27. The UK will therefore not be taking part in the new programme as a Programme Country. The European Commission regrets this decision by the United Kingdom.
https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/the-uk-and-erasmus

Great that you got in a visit, doubtless on purely welfare grounds.
Old 08-09-2023, 17:00   #5524
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It was a UK not an EU decision.

https://erasmus-plus.ec.europa.eu/the-uk-and-erasmus

Great that you got in a visit, doubtless on purely welfare grounds.

Any excuse to travel ….

On the Erasmus thing, I used the term ‘would’.

Old 17-09-2023, 21:19   #5525
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Sensible step forwards. Far easier for a Labour government to do this than a Conservative one as that would acknowledge the weaknesses in Johnson's Brexit deal.
Quote:
Keir Starmer pledges to seek major rewrite of Brexit deal

His government would put closer trading relationship with Brussels at heart of growth policy, Labour leader tells FT

Starmer told the Financial Times that he would put a closer trading relationship with Brussels and a new partnership with business at the heart of his efforts to bolster Britain’s economic growth.

Britain’s Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU, negotiated by former premier Boris Johnson, is due for review in 2025 and Starmer said he saw this as an “important” moment to reset relations.

“Almost everyone recognises the deal Johnson struck is not a good deal — it’s far too thin,” he said in an interview. “As we go into 2025 we will attempt to get a much better deal for the UK.”

Starmer has already said he wants to improve the Brexit deal by striking a veterinary agreement with the EU — reducing onerous border checks on animals and food — along with an agreement on the recognition of professional qualifications.

But Starmer said: “We have to make it work. That’s not a question of going back in. But I refuse to accept that we can’t make it work. I think about those future generations when I say that...

“I say that as a dad. I’ve got a 15-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl. I’m not going to let them grow up in a world where all I’ve got to say to them about their future is, it’s going to be worse than it might otherwise have been. I’ve got an utter determination to make this work.”
https://www.ft.com/content/6bdc4e88-...d-c70bc358e027
Old 17-09-2023, 22:29   #5526
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Unfortunately, it's like his immigration plan. The EU won't be interested in "a better deal for the UK". Why would they be?

On the immigration thing, what does that fool not understand? The immigrants will keep coming once distribution quotas are announced. Fortunately the likes of Austria, Poland & Hungary understand this so an EU wide agreement won't happen. (Beware - up tpo 750 million migrants will be coming).

Old 17-09-2023, 23:54   #5527
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Just like 75 million Turks were coming?

Are you seriously stating that up to two-thirds of the population of Africa will be coming to Europe?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 06:02   #5528
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Most people will understand my point. The proof lies in whats’s been going on and growing.

What have Turks got to do with this?

Old 18-09-2023, 07:19   #5529
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Brexit has happened and this country will not be rejoining the EU but at last we have someone who will try to improve the utterly crap deal that Boris Johnson signed up for.
Old 18-09-2023, 08:24   #5530
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Most people will understand my point. The proof lies in whats’s been going on and growing.

What have Turks got to do with this?
Your point appears to be using a figure that isn’t going to happen to rabble-rouse - if not, what is your point?*

Farage’s similar fear-mongering…

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/66...sa-free-travel

Quote:
EU loophole could see 77 MILLION Turks head to Britain, warn Farage and Johnson
*awaits standard answer of "everyone knows, so I’m not going to explain it

---------- Post added at 08:24 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Brexit has happened and this country will not be rejoining the EU but at last we have someone who will try to improve the utterly crap deal that Boris Johnson signed up for.
"Oven ready"…
Old 18-09-2023, 08:47   #5531
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Sensible step forwards. Far easier for a Labour government to do this than a Conservative one as that would acknowledge the weaknesses in Johnson's Brexit deal.

https://www.ft.com/content/6bdc4e88-...d-c70bc358e027
Starmer is deluded and a fool. He is obsessed with the older, red wall, voters when he does not need to be. He needs to focus on the newer voters who are fast replacing the older, right of centre ones.

He has no imagination, more's the pity. He should nuance the debate towards a transition to a EFTA style of arrangement to revive the economy together with a re-invention of the tax regime to channel monies back to the majority.
Old 18-09-2023, 09:29   #5532
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Ian makes a valid point. An EFTA arrangement worked well before and would work reasonably well going forward.

On Hugh’s ridiculous point about the Turks, he’s quoting Farage and linking that to me.

Who doesn’t think that Africans will increasingly seek to migrate to Europe?

Old 18-09-2023, 09:35   #5533
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Starmer is deluded and a fool. He is obsessed with the older, red wall, voters when he does not need to be. He needs to focus on the newer voters who are fast replacing the older, right of centre ones.

He has no imagination, more's the pity. He should nuance the debate towards a transition to a EFTA style of arrangement to revive the economy together with a re-invention of the tax regime to channel monies back to the majority.
I think he knows what he's doing and I'm sure he'll be bolder once in power. I seem to remember that he made a number of promises as Labour leader candidate that went by the wayside once elected. Cynical, I know!
Old 18-09-2023, 09:42   #5534
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Ian makes a valid point. An EFTA arrangement worked well before and would work reasonably well going forward.

On Hugh’s ridiculous point about the Turks, he’s quoting Farage and linking that to me.

Who doesn’t think that Africans will increasingly seek to migrate to Europe?

you both used very high figures that aren’t going to happen - that’s the link…

I don’t think that up to 750 million Africans are going to migrate to Europe - do you?
Old 18-09-2023, 11:15   #5535
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Sound like Liebour want to sneak us back into the EU should they win the next election.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote