Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Price rises this year.

Old 19-04-2023, 15:08   #541
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: Price rises this year.

If you have Virgin fibre, OpenReach don’t see you as a priority for their fibre
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2023, 16:37   #542
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I had registered with Openreach, asking to be informed when their fibre was being installed (as it wasn't even planned when I last checked).

Received an email today letting me know my address was now in the planning cycle, but no further details, so I went on to the website and checked - let's put it this way, the outcome was underwhelming ....
Must be Openreach email day. I got an update email from them today too, and they now tell me we've changed from now to Dec 2026 to they've reviewed their plans and they currently can't deliver full fibre to our address. They add that circumstances change and they hope this is just a temporary setback and they can bring our address back into their future build plans.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 10:08   #543
HughA
cf.member

HughA is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have just had an Openreach e-mail telling me that they are now not going to be able to provide FTTP to my address. Fortunately Lit Fibre has recently become available so I will have an alternative to Virgin when my contract expires. I guess Openreach think it's not worth being in a 3 horse race!
HughA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 19:41   #544
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA View Post
I too have just had an Openreach e-mail telling me that they are now not going to be able to provide FTTP to my address. Fortunately Lit Fibre has recently become available so I will have an alternative to Virgin when my contract expires. I guess Openreach think it's not worth being in a 3 horse race!
The question if true what do they know , or do virgin customers just scare them.
Old 27-04-2023, 21:03   #545
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Confused

VM are quoting £902.80 for an Early Disconnection Fee, my contract started before April this year yet the website states "If your current contract with us started prior to 2 April 2023, we currently cap the amount of the Early Disconnection Fee so that you will pay no more than £288 (includes VAT)."

So which is it? I have TV, Internet and phone

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Never mind, they've admitted they got it wrong and it is £288
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 23:25   #546
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Confused

VM are quoting £902.80 for an Early Disconnection Fee, my contract started before April this year yet the website states "If your current contract with us started prior to 2 April 2023, we currently cap the amount of the Early Disconnection Fee so that you will pay no more than £288 (includes VAT)."

So which is it? I have TV, Internet and phone

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Never mind, they've admitted they got it wrong and it is £288
Still a rip off if you've been a cable customer for years. Under the post April rules, some could face >£1k in disconnection fees. Doesn't cost that much for someone to click a mouse. If only Ofcom weren't useless.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 14:14   #547
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

…but it’s not about clicking a mouse; it’s about breaking a contract.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 14:54   #548
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
…but it’s not about clicking a mouse; it’s about breaking a contract.
Mid contract price rises are breaking a contract. The regulator, if it does its job, should stop that otherwise it existence is pointless.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 15:00   #549
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Mid contract price rises are breaking a contract. The regulator, if it does its job, should stop that otherwise it existence is pointless.
not if they are contracted in
Old 28-04-2023, 15:01   #550
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The VM standard contract is scary, not only does it allow price changes, but it allows VM to void the contract it essentially has a clause that the contract can be changed by VM whenever they want.

As you said the regulator should never have allowed these contracts to be given out in their current form. They one sided contracts, the customer has a penalty if they leave early, but VM can just rip it up.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 16:48   #551
nialli
cf.geek

nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
The VM standard contract is scary, not only does it allow price changes, but it allows VM to void the contract it essentially has a clause that the contract can be changed by VM whenever they want.

As you said the regulator should never have allowed these contracts to be given out in their current form. They one sided contracts, the customer has a penalty if they leave early, but VM can just rip it up.
Are there any "fair" contracts from telecoms companies? Are BT or Sky any better? Genuine question. VM seem to be going out of their way in 2023 to screw customers right royal and proper these days.
Old 29-04-2023, 09:58   #552
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Are there any "fair" contracts from telecoms companies? Are BT or Sky any better? Genuine question. VM seem to be going out of their way in 2023 to screw customers right royal and proper these days.
Probably all similar.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 13:06   #553
crossbow1956
cf.member

crossbow1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having looked around at ISP contracts thay are all the same virgin media are just falling in line with other ISP T&Cs as customers we have little or no room for complaints we just have to accept any price rise or change in T&Cs it is just the way things are now !
crossbow1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 13:33   #554
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

What is the benefit, for the customer, of entering into a termed (18/24 month) if it doesn’t fix the price.

VM could offer you a monthly rolling contract, you would still be bound by the same performance T&Cs.

The answer is a termed contract provides a secure revenue stream for VM and the company is, of course, valued of its secured and potential future revenues.

Last edited by Peter729; 29-04-2023 at 13:42.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 14:49   #555
nialli
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
What is the benefit, for the customer, of entering into a termed (18/24 month) if it doesn’t fix the price.

VM could offer you a monthly rolling contract, you would still be bound by the same performance T&Cs.

The answer is a termed contract provides a secure revenue stream for VM and the company is, of course, valued of its secured and potential future revenues.
I think it was OFCOM who introduced the 18/24 month contract terms - didn’t they all used to be 12 months? They probably did it for the telcos and didn’t give any thought as to how it would impact customers.
The only broadband I’ve been offered on a twelve month term is from NOW