Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus

Old 14-05-2022, 21:35   #1891
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
This picture helps explain mask wearing simply
Well, if that’s the best they can do, it’s a pretty piss poor show, if you ask me.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
As an unqualified truth, you're right.

But before Covid there were ordinary colds that were caught through contagion. Not much staying indoors, no masks, no preaching.

That's where we should be now.

There’s a big difference between colds and Covid. A better comparison is flu.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
How does anyone know without testing? What financial support is in place for those who have to isolate under your banner of "common sense"?

They don't.
None.

Thus completely unworkable.

As for Government dictats why is Boris on the front of the Daily Mail telling "millions" to get back to the office? I presume you oppose this call - it's for people and businesses to decide how they best work. Freedom, innit?
The government introduced the panic, and now they have to defuse it.

I think most people are intelligent enough to know when they have Covid-like symptoms, and with the government’s continuation of the 28-day rule for requiring a medical certificate for sickness absence, there is no excuse to go out there infecting everyone else.

Of course people should go back to the office. What’s stopping them?
Old 14-05-2022, 21:52   #1892
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Not for everyone.

One of my daughters had a bit of a cold (or so she thought).
She did a test (work asked her to, and provided the test). It was positive.

She had nothing more than mild cold symptoms for a couple of days, and then was fine.

Everyone in my house has had it, except me, I seem to be immune, despite being sounded by the infected multiple times !

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 21:58   #1893
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

<SNIP>

In my personal experience, not with the Omicron variant. Most people I know who contracted Omicron suffered no more than a cold of double duration, the dominant feature being a runny nose.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 22:53   #1894
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Fundamentally nothing, but I know of plenty of companies who, deciding on how to cut costs during the pandemic (not that some people need a reason) have opted to reduce office space and in some cases remove whole offices, meaning the desk capacity is no longer sufficient to accommodate if every single office worker wanted to come in on a particular day.

Offices are becoming hot-desks which has downsides for storing kit, ergonomics, etc etc.

Boris can say what he likes, but they ushered it in (and were on about it pre-covid); flexible/hybrid working is here to stay, and the benefits in travelling times help the environment too, if someone doesn't have to travel any distance into work that's less traffic and less pollution, when the job can be done sufficiently from home. Doing this also makes it easier for those who can't of course.

I think that a fair amount of office workers will still (semi-permanently) be going into the office some days a week, maybe 2 or 3, and maybe when certain meetings take place, doing the rest from home, where this previously was five. The pandemic has shown most of us can do this. Personally I feel I work better from home as opposed to a busier, noisier office, it's quieter.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 23:34   #1895
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
Fundamentally nothing, but I know of plenty of companies who, deciding on how to cut costs during the pandemic (not that some people need a reason) have opted to reduce office space and in some cases remove whole offices, meaning the desk capacity is no longer sufficient to accommodate if every single office worker wanted to come in on a particular day.

Offices are becoming hot-desks which has downsides for storing kit, ergonomics, etc etc.

Boris can say what he likes, but they ushered it in (and were on about it pre-covid); flexible/hybrid working is here to stay, and the benefits in travelling times help the environment too, if someone doesn't have to travel any distance into work that's less traffic and less pollution, when the job can be done sufficiently from home. Doing this also makes it easier for those who can't of course.

I think that a fair amount of office workers will still (semi-permanently) be going into the office some days a week, maybe 2 or 3, and maybe when certain meetings take place, doing the rest from home, where this previously was five. The pandemic has shown most of us can do this. Personally I feel I work better from home as opposed to a busier, noisier office, it's quieter.
... until the kids get home from school/nursery!

Old 14-05-2022, 23:35   #1896
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
... until the kids get home from school/nursery!
True point, but I don't have/want smellies so that doesn't really affect me

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 00:09   #1897
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
The government introduced the panic, and now they have to defuse it.
The pandemic introduced the panic on a global scale, I’m not sure the current government have the competence to introduce panic.

Quote:
I think most people are intelligent enough to know when they have Covid-like symptoms, and with the government’s continuation of the 28-day rule for requiring a medical certificate for sickness absence, there is no excuse to go out there infecting everyone else.
That is only helpful for anyone getting sick pay and ignores the attendance management policies of many companies that - if you got infected twice a year and took a week off - would penalise “common sense”.

Quote:
Efficiency?

I’m surprised that give your supposed love of freedom - and trust in people to demonstrate common sense - that you lack the trust in people, their managers and their organisations to determine their most appropriate work location.

Why is this worthy of government dictat but not public health?

There’s no going back to 2019, ever. For the man with the 2035 vision of the future I’m surprised working practices look like 1995.

Last edited by jfman; 15-05-2022 at 00:22.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 09:48   #1898
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The pandemic introduced the panic on a global scale, I’m not sure the current government have the competence to introduce panic.

That is only helpful for anyone getting sick pay and ignores the attendance management policies of many companies that - if you got infected twice a year and took a week off - would penalise “common sense”.

Efficiency?

I’m surprised that give your supposed love of freedom - and trust in people to demonstrate common sense - that you lack the trust in people, their managers and their organisations to determine their most appropriate work location.

Why is this worthy of government dictat but not public health?

There’s no going back to 2019, ever. For the man with the 2035 vision of the future I’m surprised working practices look like 1995.
I should imagine all office workers will be at home by 2035 doing nothing and not earning anything as AI will be doing the jobs they had and robots for the manual workers.

Universal Credit will turn into Universal Income and the perverbial shit will hit the fan.

Interesting times ahead I doubt I'll live to see it though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 11:16   #1899
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Well I'll be 70 in 2035 but since retirement age by then will be 85 still plugging away at something they don't or can't trust to automation yet.
Old 16-05-2022, 12:44   #1900
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Well I'll be 70 in 2035 but since retirement age by then will be 85 still plugging away at something they don't or can't trust to automation yet.
But at least by 2035 you will be able to cash in your pension, downsize your house and enjoy a fully electric, self-driving, French car.

Old 16-05-2022, 13:36   #1901
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
But at least by 2035 you will be able to cash in your pension, downsize your house and enjoy a fully electric, self-driving, French car.
Pensions will be reduced by some factor yet to be arranged. State pension age is now 80. House is not that big anyway and being good parents want somewhere to host visits. Don't trust French self driving car not to go all revolutionary and start to drive on the wrong side of the road. Hydrogen fuel much better idea than electric.
Old 20-05-2022, 18:39   #1902
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Didn't realise the scale of this inquiry.
Quote:
The damning testimony NHS staff have submitted to the Covid inquiry

The Covid inquiry, yet to get underway, is likely to be the biggest public inquiry in terms of disclosure, ever. It is also likely to take several years to complete. Millions of documents will be combed through and testimonies listened to in order to establish the country’s preparedness and response to the coronavirus pandemic....

Some of the main findings that will be submitted to the inquiry are:
  • Many medics think "healthcare workers died due to insufficient PPE".
  • They feel they were "systematically exposed to Covid without being able to properly mitigate the risk".
  • The chronic lack of staffing is said to have "left the medical profession too often exposed, suggesting not all deaths were inevitable".
  • Some believe had the NHS "gone into the pandemic with more staff, it's possible deaths in the profession may have been lower."
  • Doctors surveyed found nearly half of the respondents thought risk assessments were either "mostly or completely ineffective".
  • One recalls the risk assessment being "just an arbitrary piece of paper to be filled in to make people feel they were doing something when in all honesty ethnic minorities were dying more".
  • Doctors "have been left exhausted, demoralised and unwell".
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-18/...-covid-inquiry
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 11:00   #1903
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

A few important words

Think, feel, is said, thought, suggesting
Old 21-05-2022, 11:39   #1904
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
A few important words

Think, feel, is said, thought, suggesting
No more clap for the NHS, let's just deny their lived experience.

The evidence is already out there - downgrading of the need for FFP3 or equivalent masks to surgical masks on the basis of lack of supply, as opposed to the appropriateness of their use.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 21:43   #1905
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
let's just deny their lived experience.
Lived experience, you’re a bit late to the party jumping on that expression.

“Lived Experience” (what other experience is there?) Is subjective. It is a persons perception of an event. A report must deal in facts and only facts.

I don’t deny their experience, but it comes with an articulated lorry full of bias.

If I was in court, I would not want to be convicted on how someone felt. This inquiry could indeed lead to more serious actions if it is found that anyone was criminally negligent.

So, I don’t deny their “lived experience” I just don’t factor it, into any report.