Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 17-10-2021, 18:29   #1636
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Absolutely, but they're only available in a very small number of areas.
They are available where the local tv companies wanted them to be available. Most, if not all, of the "Made in.." areas were added to Virgin along with some of the independents. The original "That's..." areas weren't added, although, as they have acquired some of the smaller companies that were already on Virgin, those are still present (with the exception of Scotland). It's slightly weird that the "That's..." acquisitions still have their original service names on Virgin.
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2021, 15:07   #1637
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

So does VM have to carry them if the local TV companies want their channels to be available on cable?
Old 18-10-2021, 19:28   #1638
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
So does VM have to carry them if the local TV companies want their channels to be available on cable?
Those already on Virgin didn't seem to have any problems so I don't see why not. That's TV didn't add services on Virgin for their original channels and didn't continue with the carriage of the former STV owned local channels after they acquired them.

Maybe That's TV can't justify the carriage costs, not a surprise as they appear to have a problem with even justifying the cost of local content.
Old 18-10-2021, 19:51   #1639
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Those already on Virgin didn't seem to have any problems so I don't see why not. That's TV didn't add services on Virgin for their original channels and didn't continue with the carriage of the former STV owned local channels after they acquired them.

Maybe That's TV can't justify the carriage costs, not a surprise as they appear to have a problem with even justifying the cost of local content.
If any more That's TV Channels may launch on Virgin it will be That's TV Gold. I can see That's TV Local Channels being sold to Local Television (owners of Liverpool TV) by 2023.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 18-10-2021, 22:00   #1640
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
If any more That's TV Channels may launch on Virgin it will be That's TV Gold. I can see That's TV Local Channels being sold to Local Television (owners of Liverpool TV) by 2023.
That's TV Gold is a possible indication that the company are moving away from local tv and into an area that requires even less effort. Maybe they don't want to pay Virgin to carry the music video service either.
Old 19-10-2021, 11:53   #1641
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

Update from BBC on launching BBC One England regions in HD on and HD versions of BBC ALBA and BBC Parliament.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/ar...ollout-england

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 19-10-2021 at 12:31.
Old 19-10-2021, 13:15   #1642
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
Update from BBC on launching BBC One England regions in HD on and HD versions of BBC ALBA and BBC Parliament.
Thanks TimeLord2018.
Old 21-10-2021, 13:56   #1643
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Look like Virgin Media are picking up "Liverpool TV" using Freeview as Digital Bit Rate is reporting at 11.51am on October 21st Liverpool TV is showing "Judge Judy".
Old 21-10-2021, 14:03   #1644
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
north east still not HD yet
Old 21-10-2021, 14:30   #1645
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
north east still not HD yet
As that link reveal on Tuesday. You may see your local BBC One programmes via the BBC Iplayer in the coming months but the English regions of BBC One HD channels will launch on Virgin Media (V6 and TiVo), Freesat, Freeview HD, Sky Digital and Sky Q sometime in 2022 with BBC Two Northern Ireland HD, BBC ALBA HD and BBC Parliament HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC View Post
BBC One HD versions from regions in England will first become available to viewers on internet-connected TV platforms first, including Sky Glass from today - and in the following months, BBC iPlayer will also switch from standard definition to high definition for the regional versions of BBC One in England. We’ll be continuing our rollout to other platforms throughout next year, with the aim of launching BBC One HD services across England on all platforms by the end of 2022. At the same time as the BBC One HD regional rollout, we’ll also be adding HD versions of some of our other channels (such as BBC Two Northern Ireland, BBC ALBA and BBC Parliament) to other platforms.
Q: I LIVE IN ENGLAND WHAT WILL I GET FROM THE BBC BY 2023?

-Your local BBC One channel will become HD on Virgin Channel 101.
-BBC ALBA will become HD on Virgin Channel 162.
-BBC Parliament will become HD on Virgin Channel 605.

Q: I LIVE IN SCOTLAND WHAT WILL I GET FROM THE BBC BY 2023?

-BBC ALBA will become HD on Virgin Channel 120.

Q: I LIVE IN WALES WHAT WILL I GET FROM THE BBC BY 2023?

Q: I LIVE IN NORTHERN IRELAND WHAT WILL I GET FROM THE BBC BY 2023?

-BBC Two Northern Ireland will become HD on Virgin Channel 102.

Virgin Media Channels numbers right at time of posting.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 21-10-2021 at 14:53.
Old 21-10-2021, 21:44   #1646
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Look like Virgin Media are picking up "Liverpool TV" using Freeview as Digital Bit Rate is reporting at 11.51am on October 21st Liverpool TV is showing "Judge Judy".
As far as I know, they will take a feed direct from Comux. Comux has the contract for distribution and basically technical operations. It was meant to allow the local channels to concentrate on local programmes - if only they had!
Old 22-10-2021, 00:06   #1647
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:

Q: I LIVE IN NORTHERN IRELAND WHAT WILL I GET FROM THE BBC BY 2023?

-BBC Two Northern Ireland will become HD on Virgin Channel 102.

Virgin Media Channels numbers right at time of posting.
BBC 2 NI is already HD on 102 here
Old 22-10-2021, 01:05   #1648
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
BBC 2 NI is already HD on 102 here
Oops just found BBC Two Northern Ireland HD listed on Media Boy Blog after I saw your post.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/p/...el-lineup.html

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
As far as I know, they will take a feed direct from Comux. Comux has the contract for distribution and basically technical operations. It was meant to allow the local channels to concentrate on local programmes - if only they had!
Thanks for info.
Old 22-10-2021, 01:10   #1649
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Oops just found BBC Two Northern Ireland HD listed on Media Boy Blog after I saw your post.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/p/...el-lineup.html

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Thanks for info.
I think BBC2 NI is not currently HD on Satellite. I vaguely recall that was the only place they didn't launch it. Someone would have to confirm regard Freeview situation though.
Old 24-10-2021, 16:57   #1650
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

BBC Two Wales and BBC Two Northern Ireland really should be available on Virgin Media.
Closed Thread