Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | E4200 help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

E4200 help

Old 19-06-2012, 01:06   #16
Matty_UK
Inactive

Matty_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: E4200 help

Ok I tried the dedicated 1G servers, I got on average 200k/sec per download when they were all running.

A single download got between 2-3 mb/sec.
Matty_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2012, 08:31   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I have always used Linksys routers. Dedicated servers are basically computers which people dont actually use (like you sit in front of yours and use it) and perform a specific function (like email servers) and they have a lot of system resources to perform that task and a fast connection. With torrents, you are downloading a file from many other people and while there are sites which encourage people to seed and you can get fast speed, at the end of the day you are downloading from someone else so at the end of the day despite the fact that I can download at 12mb/sec, if I was downloading from you I would only get 1mb/sec (or whatever your upstream is).

The servers at gamershell are computers which dont do anything apart from hold a database of files for people to download and they are hosted on gigabit links, which means they can upload 10 times than you can download so you know speed isnt going to be a issue. When you download a file it shows you the utilisation of each server so you know can pick one where most of the juice is free and get full speed. http downloads can still be a bit weird and you'll never get 12mb/sec from one file which is why you need to get several files going because they'll all plod along at 1-2mb/sec each until you saturate your connection.

What tier are you on. You havent mentioned it in this thread but I had it in my head that you was on 100mbit for some reason.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 13:15   #18
Matty_UK
Inactive

Yeah I am. Well. Supposed to be.

To be honest I have no idea how fast 100 mbit is supposed to be. I am paying for 100, but how do I know if I get 100?

I doubt I get it. Im sure there are many factors to consider.
Old 19-06-2012, 14:14   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

On 100mbits your max download speed will be about 12mb/sec. The only way you can max out your connection is to do lots of simultaneous downloads/connections which multiple http downloads, torrents or newsgroups. As mentioned above, torrents are great providing your peers have got sufficient upstream bandwidth. As a one off to "test" your connection http downloads are good but for normal use (making the most out of your connection) you want to look at newsgroups; you make multiple connections to dedicated servers
Old 19-06-2012, 16:40   #20
Matty_UK
Inactive

I've never looked at newgroups. Are you talking about places like usenet?
Old 19-06-2012, 18:59   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

yup, even if you didnt actually use them on a regular basis it is a far easier and more reliable measure of your speed.